• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2014 1.8L HO Engine Failure in 212x

vnalin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Fourth time out on a new to me 2014 212x with around 180 hrs. Ran great last time out no alarms, no warning lights. Fired it up idled out of the no wake zone and boom.

Attachments

vnalin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Fourth time out on a new to me 2014 212x with around 180 hrs. Ran great last time out no alarms, no warning lights. Fired it up idled out of the no wake zone and boom.
After taking this to the dealer and hearing his feedback in general he says this is very rare and he has only seen 2 catastrophic failures like this. In general I feel like I did something and really want to know what it was before I commit to a $20k repair tag. The only thing that he talked about was excessive water in the bilge building up higher than the air intake.

Nivekot

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Did the timing chain break??

vnalin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Timing chain did not break. If the bilge area filled up too much is the only thing I can think of.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Was the air filter wet with water?

Was there water in your engine compartment?
Was your bilge pumping?

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@vnalin Do you have more pictures?

vnalin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Left the boat at the dealer but will grab some more pictures tomorrow when I swing by.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@vnalin , I recommend you call your mechanic back and ask for more information. What part(s) failed catastrophically? Any bent valves? Where down the water from the bilge from?

$20k, what’s included for $20k?
I am selling a complete plug and play engine from a 2010 242LS for $4k. A swap could be done in a few hours.

vnalin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@vnalin , I recommend you call your mechanic back and ask for more information. What part(s) failed catastrophically? Any bent valves? Where down the water from the bilge from?

$20k, what’s included for $20k?
I am selling a complete plug and play engine from a 2010 242LS for $4k. A swap could be done in a few hours.
Complete Cylinder Head 5285
Cylinder Block Assembly 8758
Rotor assembly 586
Transfer shaft 361
Damper chain 1 and 2 275
11 hrs labor at 135
The rest is nuts and bolts basically
You have any pics or other descriptions of your motor @Ronnie

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Complete Cylinder Head 5285
Cylinder Block Assembly 8758
Rotor assembly 586
Transfer shaft 361
Damper chain 1 and 2 275
11 hrs labor at 135
The rest is nuts and bolts basically
You have any pics or other descriptions of your motor @Ronnie
I would gladly sell you my motor for the great price of $4k but you have to pick it up in CA, 94505. Moreover, I don’t think you need it. Unless the head, block and other major components cracked (cannot be easily repaired). At this point I think you should get a second, maybe even a third opinion preferably from a pwc shop.

If i am wrong and you are still interested start a convo with me about the engine. I have video of it starting and running just before I replaced it with a new engine from a salvaged ar 240.

Attachments

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It looks like there's a hole in the block,

$20k is about the highest we've ever heard by thousands,

You might consider a jetski shop also

For ronnies engine, it's a used engine with no guarantee but ronnie has been a member here since the beginning and before that at yjb, if i needed an engine i wouldn't hesitate to buy ronnie's and know that what he told me was the truth,

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Sounds like it hydrauliced.

vnalin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well hydrolock seems to be the culprit. Bottom clips on the air filter were open. After following a lot of advice here I have pulled the engine and sent it to a reputable place for further examination.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm having a hard time understanding how this is caused by hydrolocked,

you had just launched and just went to power after no wake area,

hydro lock normally only happens,
1. running on one engine forcing water through the exhaust system into the non-running engine,
2. you have a water hose leak so bad it squirts into the air filter and finally into the system (not sure if the newer engines are even capable of this)
3. you've got some other massive leak that the bilge fills with water so much it goes over the top of the engine and into the air filter and into the cylinders ( with this much water the boat would be SO SLUGGISH and the bilge would be pumping for 10 minutes)

normally we see hydrolock bend rods and ruin bearings,

your block broke near the oil breather tube not where a rod is,

you still need a new engine but I don't think this is anything you caused,

ronnies engine.jpg