• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2015 Yamaha Jet Boat Pictures

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@maboat There are plenty of upgrades to the 242LS vs the 240 I think Mark, but that is a big difference as you mention. I don't really think a better or bigger engine is necessary in that boat, because it already runs 52mph, and I am willing to bet on that big boat with tower and everything, the supercharged engines wouldn't buy you 2mph, and it would cost you BIG at the pump all the time. Just my opinion, now it would really suck if the hull improvements and rudder were just on the 242 vs the 240...and if it is that big of an improvement, they should put that keel on all the boats!

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will concede to the masses, that the 242 may not NEED a bigger engine. (I never said it needed it, but it would set the 242 apart from the 240)

But what, exactly, DO you get for the extra $8,000 between the 240 and 242?

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Since you put it that way - I get what you're saying. At least give you the option. Maybe down the road when Yamaha punches the 1.8L into a 2.0L or 2.2L, maybe they'll separate the 242 from the 240.

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I really was disappointed that there is no performance upgrades on the new 242. Yamaha should at least offer the superchargers or an upgraded motor, as an option. I know of Seadoos doing mid 60's, and I'm sure the Scarabs are up there as well. I'd be willing to pay a little more at the pump for the potential to hit 65 from time to time.

Pointblank

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
But what, exactly, DO you get for the extra $8,000 between the 240 and 242?
Would be great if we could create an exhaustive list. Here's a start...

- Upgraded interior vinyl/fabric seats
- Upgraded carpet ("Teak-style")
- Upgraded stereo (8 speakers versus 4; stainless covers)
- LED lights and tweeters in wake tower
- Bow docking lights
- Retractable stainless cleats
- Fresh water shower
- Upgraded trailer lights (at least in prior years?)

As much as I'd like to go with the 242, none of the options above get anywhere close to commanding an $8k premium. Maybe--maybe--if Connext and Quiet Ride were exclusive to the 242, but they're not which makes the AR all the more appealing. I think it'll take a severe shortage of 240s or bringing back the 1.99% to the 242 line for them to move.

From someone who would've been first in line for the 242, it's disappointing. With several dealers blowing out 2014 242s for < $51k, that's looking all the more attractive.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@maboat , in no way do I disagree that they could and maybe should offer an upgrade in the performance end, I was just saying that those supercharges are just going to make it a gas hog and not do much more other than increase an already amazing hole shot. Don't forget the tower, tower tweeters, and LED tower lights in the additional things you get for that upgraded price. There is a bigger list, and it will add up to more than the increase, but if you don't care about a few of those, then it may feel like your not getting your moneys worth. The mere fact that it is north of $60K and that they have done high % increases the bulk of the years since the 230 departure, it just is pushing the envelope IMO.

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Would be great if we could create an exhaustive list. Here's a start...

- Upgraded interior vinyl/fabric seats
- Upgraded carpet ("Teak-style")
- Upgraded stereo (8 speakers versus 4; stainless covers)
- LED lights and tweeters in wake tower
- Bow docking lights
- Retractable stainless cleats
- Fresh water shower
- Upgraded trailer lights (at least in prior years?)

As much as I'd like to go with the 242, none of the options above get anywhere close to commanding an $8k premium. Maybe--maybe--if Connext and Quiet Ride were exclusive to the 242, but they're not which makes the AR all the more appealing. I think it'll take a severe shortage of 240s or bringing back the 1.99% to the 242 line for them to move.

From someone who would've been first in line for the 242, it's disappointing. With several dealers blowing out 2014 242s for < $51k, that's looking all the more attractive.
Longer hull
More Storage

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Longer hull
More Storage
We were referring to the difference between 2015 240 and 2015 242 to justify the $8,000 price difference.

The 2015 240 and 242 have the same hull so there is no length difference.
They both have the same seating/deck layout so I don't know where there would be more storage
They both have the new articulated keel
They both have the same helm with touchscreen Connext.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is a bigger list, and it will add up to more than the increase.
@Pointblank started a good list, but it still doesn't come close to $8k. What else is missing from the list that would even come close to that much difference?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Fyi, according to my rough math that has been undergoing refinement the 242 with 400 hp which is about two sho's would do just over 58 mph. Two svho motors would bring it to 62 maybe 63 ish if they bring over the new pumps.
Fyi, you would need over 550 hp in the 21foot boats to go over 70 mph.

I am sure the expense of the svho motors which also require premium fuel, would bring the cost far higher

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Premium fuel at the pump for every trip out isn't for me. It would feel like I was fueling up at the marina. From what I understand our speed limitations on these boats has more to do with the pumps than the motor (ie motor is capable of more than the pump?).

It seems a bit early to be able to create a list of the differences in the '15 240 vs LS, when so few have walked through both of them to note the differences.

I personally like the new 240, not well enough to trade mine and lose my ass, but I like it. It gives me something to look forward to when it's time trade in a few years. Maybe they didn't address every issue everybody has, but at least Yamaha is listening to the complaints (as evidenced by the upgrades in the new models). I love our boat, and even more that it causes my teenage son to still want to do something with his old man. I think a lot of this is subjective, but time spent with my family is why I purchased our boat. For that to continue and to keep seeing "the smile", I'd pay a lot more.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I know of Seadoos doing mid 60's, and I'm sure the Scarabs are up there as well.
The 21' Scarabs with 510hp are going 59 mph vs a 212X with 360 hp hitting 56 mph. So put the SVHO motors in a 212X giving it 500 hp adding an additional 5-7k to the price plus having to run premium fuel & the added maintenance all for 3-4 mph. Remember there is a reason seadoo went out of business.

@Pointblank started a good list, but it still doesn't come close to $8k. What else is missing from the list that would even come close to that much difference?
I think your over thinking this. How much more is an LTZ Tahoe over a LT2? Do the upgrades account for the differences in cost? I doubt it, but you have to consider that it just being called Limited or being the premium model has added some value.

PS - the tower differences are huge, worth at least 2k at least to me. And I'm not referring to the lights or the speakers.

Last edited:

ACRDSPORT14

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
PWC
The 21' Scarabs with 510hp are going 59 mph vs a 212X with 360 hp hitting 56 mph. So put the SVHO motors in a 212X giving it 500 hp adding an additional 5-7k to the price plus having to run premium fuel & the added maintenance all for 3-4 mph. Remember there is a reason seadoo went out of business.

I think your over thinking this. How much more is an LTZ Tahoe over a LT2? Does the the upgrade account for the differences? I doubt it, but you have to consider that it being called Limited has some value.

PS - the tower differences are huge, worth at least 2k at least to me. And I'm not referring to the lights or the speakers.

I used to have a 21' wellcraft , it would go 60-62 on gps consistently with a merc 350. A merc 350 has 300hp

I would be pissed if i had 500 hp on a 21' boat that only went 59

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Here's my list.

- carpet $500 value
- tower $2,000 value
- lighting $1000 value
- upholstery $1,500 value
- trailer lights $200 value
- stereo $1,000 value
- shower $750 value
- seadeck $300 value
- handles $250 value
- steering wheel $100 value
- dual battery kit $400 value

That's around $8000 in upgrades. An AR240 is $53,5 & a 242 LS is 61,5 so thats 8k difference in price. Seems pretty close to me.

edit - as I have remembered items I have added them.

Last edited:

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Doing a quick Google search for scarab 215 top speed, I found an article which stated top speed to be over 62, but it didnot say of it was the 500+ he version. Let's assume it was. There's no denying that Yamaha is losing the top speed and horsepower race to Seadoo. I own a 2009 Seadoo RXP ski and I am very happy with it. Gets up and goes 69 mph on GPS in an instant and is bone stock. With a few minor bolt ons, it will be mid 70's. I prefer Yamaha, but Seadoo out powers Yamaha and there definitely is a market for speed and power.

When Scarabs fit and finish and Seadoos power and performance come together in a 23+ foot boat, Yamaha better beware. They won't stop at 52 mph.

If anything, I hope this motivates Yamaha to up the ante in some way.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
@zelone Yamaha is not losing the hp/mph race, they never entered that race! Yamaha builds in my opinion the best family runabout boat on the market, and in my opinion family runabout boats don't need to go over 60+ mph. That's when they start turning into speed boats.

Watercraft on the other hand Yamaha is the leader in the speed race. Their FZR will go 71mph stock and with the Riva speed control valve it goes 82 mph.

dbrunone

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Why does everyone care about top speed so much? Seriously anything above 45 on the water is "fast"...do you guys cruise at WOT all the time? Are you racing constantly? Would you even know the difference between 50 and 55 if it werent for that GPS number on the dash? It all seems silly to me to go after a mph race on a family boat. I suspect it is silly to Yamaha too, and I applaud them for that.