• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017-2020 Yamaha 210 Line Engine Noise

Dmronan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi all,

We are seriously considering buying a 2020 Yamaha SX210 for this upcoming season and are almost in contract with the dealership. However, after doing research, I have come across a lot of talk about the noise levels of these jet-drive engines.
I’ve heard the older Yamaha jets are pretty loud, but I am wondering if the newer Yamaha jetdrives have improved on this (with the noise reduction engine walling) and other improvements. Any advice is appreciated and stay safe! Thanks

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi all,

We are seriously considering buying a 2020 Yamaha SX210 for this upcoming season and are almost in contract with the dealership. However, after doing research, I have come across a lot of talk about the noise levels of these jet-drive engines.
I’ve heard the older Yamaha jets are pretty loud, but I am wondering if the newer Yamaha jetdrives have improved on this (with the noise reduction engine walling) and other improvements. Any advice is appreciated and stay safe! Thanks
We do not have the TR-1 motors. The newer boats are suppose to have more insulation. The noise is a non issue for me, it does bother some. I would just schedule a ride at the dealer to make up your own mind.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
best advice is to take a test ride,

only you can decide what is acceptable,

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We have a 2019 AR210- it’s not so much that the engines are loud, it’s that both of them together can create a strange harmonic sound...if you know what I mean...two engines running the same RPM.

The other issue with jet drives is at higher speeds the engines are revving like crazy, but the boat isn’t accelerating anymore. They remind me of early version car CVT transmission...rev like crazy but aren’t going anywhere fast.

The boat will get out of the hole fast (kind of jerky) and accelerates fast up to 30ish...

We came from a wakeboard boat with 350 HP v-drive and so it took a while to get used to the jet drive feeling and noise..Still miss the V8.

Overall we are fairly happy with our boat (same engines as the Sx210). The outright decibels of the engines are not bad.

jsg73

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We have a 212 and do not find it too loud. It definitely no louder than my rebuilt 150 hp Mercury 2 stroke. At 5500 rpm the two stroke is just as loud as the jet at 5000+ rpm.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I just came from a 3.0 Mercruiser to the 2020 212S with dual 1.8's. I'll be really honest with you and tell you that the Yamaha is louder in every application except for no-wake cruising, for that it's the same. With the Yamaha the noise is more like a Japanese motorcycle rev vs. the lumber inline 4 of the 1960's designed Mercruiser that you might get (keeping the comparison) with a stock Harley. Because of the time we spend at those types of RPM's, it's fine for us and our family. I also have to remind myself that the lower noise 3.0 was only 135hp at the crank. This is TWO 180hp motors for 360hp total (thereabouts) - a comparable mercruiser would be just as loud, if not louder. Also rev limit on a 3.0 is 4800rpm. Yamaha 1.8l is 7700rpm I think?

Btw, the instant thrust from twin jets is incredible. Prepare yourself and your wife for that first burst out of the gate or there will be a lot of mean looks. Don't ask me how I know. :)

Dmronan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you everybody

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No conversation here, along with wind noise, it’s very hard, you have to shout and to be honest it’s just not worth it.
I remember with my Yamaha V6 OB, you could chat at almost any speed, except WOT obviously. As previously mentioned, with the twins revving high, wind etc it’s not easy.

Lookingforajetboat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I am looking at a 2005 sx210. The owner said he put $ 800 into soundproofing it and it knocked the noise down 50 percent.
I was pretty sold on getting one of these but I am a noise sensitive person...buy Cadillac or lexus for a quite ride....comparing to a fourwinns with a 5.7 liter...which I had in my last boat and that was ok.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The owner said he put $ 800 into soundproofing it and it knocked the noise down 50 percent.
That sounds like somebody whose trying to sell something. Until you take a ride and experience it yourself it's all just words, if he doesn't want to give you a water test there's probably a reason why,

Definitely don't buy a boat until you've water tested it (especially since your "noise sensitive".

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Maybe buy a row boat if your “noise sensitive”?

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I am looking at a 2005 sx210. The owner said he put $ 800 into soundproofing it and it knocked the noise down 50 percent.
I was pretty sold on getting one of these but I am a noise sensitive person...buy Cadillac or lexus for a quite ride....comparing to a fourwinns with a 5.7 liter...which I had in my last boat and that was ok.
This is super late, but for every person asking about noise, how can you relate to what MY version of "acceptable is? Not singling you out, simply using your post as an example - I have had 4 Lexuseses (Lexii?), currently an LS430 and a GX470. I have an AR210. It's perfectly acceptable for what I do. My neighbor across the street has a Ski Brendella with a 200hp Merc OB. When we're moving along around the lake, you can't hold a reasonable conversation without shouting or sticking your head next to the other person's ear - for BOTH boats. At no-wake speeds, they're the same. Both boats, to me, are a "quiet ride", given what you're doing - skipping across the water at speed with a loud-ass engine pretty close by.

We could provide you video with sound. Still wouldn't tell you anything. Boating IS loud when you're mashing the throttle and having fun on the water. I'm certain that the boat that Lexus made is loud, so Brad might have the best suggestion for noise control - row boat, kayak, staying on land... LOL 😁

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Maybe buy a row boat if your “noise sensitive”?

This is super late, but for every person asking about noise, how can you relate to what MY version of "acceptable is? Not singling you out, simply using your post as an example - I have had 4 Lexuseses (Lexii?), currently an LS430 and a GX470. I have an AR210. It's perfectly acceptable for what I do. My neighbor across the street has a Ski Brendella with a 200hp Merc OB. When we're moving along around the lake, you can't hold a reasonable conversation without shouting or sticking your head next to the other person's ear - for BOTH boats. At no-wake speeds, they're the same. Both boats, to me, are a "quiet ride", given what you're doing - skipping across the water at speed with a loud-ass engine pretty close by.

We could provide you video with sound. Still wouldn't tell you anything. Boating IS loud when you're mashing the throttle and having fun on the water. I'm certain that the boat that Lexus made is loud, so Brad might have the best suggestion for noise control - row boat, kayak, staying on land... LOL 😁
UMM...Might I suggest a sailboat. ;) Lots of quiet with just the wind in the rigging. Plenty of conversation without yelling to one another. From an AR230 owner...I know what loud can be.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
UMM...Might I suggest a sailboat. ;) Lots of quiet with just the wind in the rigging. Plenty of conversation without yelling to one another. From an AR230 owner...I know what loud can be.

Too much wind in your ears, and don't even get me started on all that flapping noise from the sails! It's practically a monster truck rally on those things!

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Too much wind in your ears, and don't even get me started on all that flapping noise from the sails! It's practically a monster truck rally on those things!
Funny, if the sails are flapping (flogging), you ain't doing it right. LOL. Here are our last three monster truck rallies...

This one in November on a 14' ODay was the latest, you are right, the water and wind noise is loud.

And then this one on a 35'er. My appology for the wench on the winch being so loud... :winkingthumbsup"

And lastly our AR230 at speed.

It is all subjective.

Last edited:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Different boats for different folks. Many advantages and disadvantages. But I fear you cannot much get away from it: if you want a motor sports boat, it is going to be loud. There are certainly degrees. But if you check out any displacement hull boat you will likely have a much quieter experience than you will in a planing hull (and, you will note that @zipper 's Beneteau is a displacement hull... with d@mn loud winches).

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Different boats for different folks. Many advantages and disadvantages. But I fear you cannot much get away from it: if you want a motor sports boat, it is going to be loud. There are certainly degrees. But if you check out any displacement hull boat you will likely have a much quieter experience than you will in a planing hull (and, you will note that @zipper 's Beneteau is a displacement hull... with d@mn loud winches).
I do need to service the winch, if not the wench, for that matter. :cool:

Lookingforajetboat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Lookingforajetboat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks, have not pulled the trigger but going to look at one this weekend. 2005 ar230 for 18,500. Hard to find in California. Low hours but some fade on upholstery as I hear that is typical for these.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thanks, have not pulled the trigger but going to look at one this weekend. 2005 ar230 for 18,500. Hard to find in California. Low hours but some fade on upholstery as I hear that is typical for these.
An `05 is going to be a bit louder as the sound reduction improved over the years. Try it out and remember it's about fun, not luxury cruising in a yacht. Having said that, you can buy acoustic foam sheets and glue them inside the engine bay to help reduce the noise.

For us it wasn't an issue. We came from an older V6 Mercruiser I/O drive and the sound level is about the same. It's a different pitch though as these little engines rev higher so at first it sounds louder. I came from years of riding on performance bikes such as the GSX-R with a Yosh pipe which revved to 10k so not that much of a sound-shock to me. In fact, it reminds me of riding and the sound is pleasing for me. My wife doesn't mind the sound at all either, although she was hesitant at first as it sounded quite different from the old V6. Once you hit about 25-30mph the wind noise is almost as loud so it doesn't really matter, but we can still carry on a loud conversation in the cockpit. People in the bow can't hear poop though as the wind is all they hear.
😁