• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2018 Bimini June trip (June 24th - June 30th)

Hector

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So spparently the cpb just came out with a new app to schedule your float plan and check back in on arrival back into the country I just downloaded it but have not had a chance to play with it yet to see if it’s active and functioning yet. Could save hours of on hold time on return.
View attachment 70841
Good find, thanks

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So spparently the cpb just came out with a new app to schedule your float plan and check back in on arrival back into the country I just downloaded it but have not had a chance to play with it yet to see if it’s active and functioning yet. Could save hours of on hold time on return.
View attachment 70841
So I finally had a minute to sit down and play with the cbp roam app and it does says it’s the pilot version and is limited on ports of entry and country coming from at this time. Right now this is only good if your coming from Canada to the US. I did read that the Bahamas will be added soon but will have to wait and see if it’s added before our trip if not I will be calling the Svrs line as usual

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
D11B3A10-BC72-4DFC-B176-95903ED96319.png Can anyone recommend which Garmin chip to purchase for the Bahamas? There seems to be several at different price points. I just bought an echomap 54cv CEC0730B-FD4C-4FDD-BF02-955B8CB065FD.png

vanmurray

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you get preloaded bluechart g2 or lakevu? I got the same unit with bluechart but have not checked for Bimini. @robert843 just put one in I think and @AndyD.
A couple years back bluechart G2 did come with the Bahamas preloaded it no longer does I checked my unit after install and there was no detail information. I think you can buy the upgraded coastal charts
HXUS604X for around $200 and that includes the Bahamas Explorer charts I think please confirm with garmin before purchasing and chart VUS513L is a good one it will cover most of the east coast of Florida as well

Elio195HOI

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
I've been wanting to make this run for several years now. I'm just not 100% confident in a 19' boat, Any suggestion? It would just be me and my wife this time around to play it safe.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been wanting to make this run for several years now. I'm just not 100% confident in a 19' boat, Any suggestion? It would just be me and my wife this time around to play it safe.
Do you guys have a prenup?
:D

(just kidding of course!)

--

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Did you get preloaded bluechart g2 or lakevu? I got the same unit with bluechart but have not checked for Bimini. @robert843 just put one in I think and @AndyD.
My 53dv came with lakevu. I had to but the g2 charts separate but they do include the Bahamas.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My 53dv came with lakevu. I had to but the g2 charts separate but they do include the Bahamas.
Correct the Additional G2 Charts you can buy come with the Bahamas the ones preloaded right now do not. Crazy part is my little GPSMAP 78SC has the Bahamas Charts preloaded and that unit goes on sale for $150 all the time which is less then buying the chart that includes it.

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I got the one with ocean shore/coastal charts for our Bimini trip, but there not as much detail as I was hoping for. I powered it up last night for the first time and discovered because it's the coastal version there are no lake details so I think it will be useless where I live in GA without also purchasing some basic lake package too...

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I got the one with ocean shore/coastal charts for our Bimini trip, but there not as much detail as I was hoping for. I powered it up last night for the first time and discovered because it's the coastal version there are no lake details so I think it will be useless where I live in GA without also purchasing some basic lake package too...
Makes me like my lowly Raymarine Drgonfly which came with Navionics+ covering the Bahamas, and local, no bs.
The Navionics app on iPhone is actually not too shabby if you can get over some annoying features, which I would think may be an option ONCE YOU ARE THERE. I would not use a phone only for crossing.

--

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Yeah I almost went with your dragonfly, but the guy at West Marine showed me side by side how much easier to use and user intuitive the Garmin was. Plus I don't think the dragonfly can plot MMSI contacts from a VHF. Please correct me if I'm mistaken on the MMSI plotting...

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

i'M WAY BEHIND CATCHING UP ON EVERYTHING HERE........I copied @kthrash for an antenna mount for my 212x
https://jetboaters.net/threads/my-vhf-antenna-install.4710/#post-79408

ThatJeepGirl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was planning to arrange for customs to be at Bimini Sands, the fuel dock to be well stocked and maybe even the summer bug boats to show up............
PLEASE send help with the bugs! I’d like my tan to actually LOOK like a tan this year

ThatJeepGirl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just do it! We took our 19’ two years ago and it was great. I will say, you need to be prepared to run it wide open to keep up with the larger boats. @ThatJeepGuy can give you more advice if you need it.

Actually, after last years crossing I kind of missed the 19’

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah I almost went with your dragonfly, but the guy at West Marine showed me side by side how much easier to use and user intuitive the Garmin was. Plus I don't think the dragonfly can plot MMSI contacts from a VHF. Please correct me if I'm mistaken on the MMSI plotting...
The dragonfly I have is great for Navionics, and great for simple, simple, simple way to operate.
But -
NOT simple to program. It would drive you crazy.

It feels like they used the 70s electronics' technology for data input, something like strait out of my father's East German made Trabant car, lol.

--

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Does anyone have pictures of how and where they installed backup bilge pump in these newer 242's? I see the factory pump between the engines in a cutout hole thru the sub-floor. Thinking of putting the second one just in front of it with a float switch but not drill a 3 inch hole into the lower bilge. I don't want to make this a big project, looking for the easiest and fastest install location.

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Does anyone have pictures of how and where they installed backup bilge pump in these newer 242's? I see the factory pump between the engines in a cutout hole thru the sub-floor. Thinking of putting the second one just in front of it with a float switch but not drill a 3 inch hole into the lower bilge. I don't want to make this a big project, looking for the easiest and fastest install location.
I had a hell of a time trying to find a place to mount mine as well. I wanted to go in the rear bilge and access it via the clean out hatch but couldn’t make it work that way. Ended up going in the engine compartment where the factory bilge is but set it up on the finish level versus drilling through to the lower bilge. It sits about a half inch higher than the factory and works as a true backup. I mounted it on the back side of the engine compartment (opposite side of the engine mount from the factory one). I drilled and 5200’ed it to a piece of plastic cutting board and then 5200’ed the board to the bottom of the bilge so I didn’t have to drill through the bottom of the engine bay.