• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 Factory Boat Issues ?

Shir9406

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
So, I am sitting here waiting for my 2021 195s and am having growing concerns about issues some of these boats are having straight from the factory. I guess I wanted to create this thread for those who have received their 2021 boats and what issues , if any, have you had..and what I should be looking for when that day comes to pick my boat up. Also, do you think this might be the year for the extended warranty? I usually pass on those, but am rethinking it this year... Can’t wait to get on the water though!!!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I always get the extended warranty, it also makes it easier to sell if you decide to change boats in a few years.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
I'm going to try to negotiate a free extended warranty if I find the build date on my 195S was back in the summer or fall and it's been sitting on their lot for months waiting for a part or two.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
it starts when you buy it not when it was built

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
it starts when you buy it not when it was built
Jeff thanks for the quick order fulfillment, my Super AK-19 Deluxe should arrive Tuesday. I typically don't purchase extended warranties. I understand that it wouldn't go into effect until the actually purchase date. My concerns are quality control especially if the boat has been sitting around for several months or maybe got stuck in assembly half way through due to a temporary shutdown.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yea I get it but it's a new world in the boating industry, so is this your lucky day? Did I fire 5 or did I fire 6 ? Life is a gamble but in the end no-one gets out alive so enjoy the ride. Usually half the cost of a warranty is dealer profit so if you work that angle it may help but these guys are hurting bad for inventory and you can't sell from an empty shelf so why cut the price when you know someone else will buy it in a second. From the looks of it this is going to last another season and I am worried that I will be as busy as I was last year and frankly I am getting too damn old to keep working 14 hours to fill orders, as you noticed I send out my orders immediately . I personally take all my orders to the post office Monday through Friday , it's tough to keep all the inventory on hand and handle all the orders. So I can appreciate that if you do not have some item and people are wanting it , there is no sense in giving it away or discounting it.

Ibeflyinhigh

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, I am sitting here waiting for my 2021 195s and am having growing concerns about issues some of these boats are having straight from the factory. I guess I wanted to create this thread for those who have received their 2021 boats and what issues , if any, have you had..and what I should be looking for when that day comes to pick my boat up. Also, do you think this might be the year for the extended warranty? I usually pass on those, but am rethinking it this year... Can’t wait to get on the water though!!!
2021 190 here. There is a large gouge/cut on the transom in the seadek. There is a hole in the apholstry on the glovebox lid. I have some spots in the boat where gel coat is missing or was damaged that they filled with paint. I have scratches on the black dash running from top to bottom on the walk through side. One speaker the mesh is dented in and I cant pop it out. All these things were present when I picked up the boat. I understand nothing is perfect and this stuff is going to happen with use. I'm fixing what I can and not worrying about the rest. Just going to enjoy the boat and be thankful I was able to get one with the shortage.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
2021 190 here. There is a large gouge/cut on the transom in the seadek. There is a hole in the apholstry on the glovebox lid. I have some spots in the boat where gel coat is missing or was damaged that they filled with paint. I have scratches on the black dash running from top to bottom on the walk through side. One speaker the mesh is dented in and I cant pop it out. All these things were present when I picked up the boat. I understand nothing is perfect and this stuff is going to happen with use. I'm fixing what I can and not worrying about the rest. Just going to enjoy the boat and be thankful I was able to get one with the shortage.
Thanks I'm picking up my 190 this Wednesday, ill make sure to check what you mentioned here

Shir9406

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Wow!!! Braver than me. I would have left it and said forget it. I realize most of that is just cosmetics, and probably easily fixed. But it makes you wonder what’s all messed up that you can’t see on the surface or could be messed up.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
When you go to take the boat and you see a problem ask them to fill in a "WE OWE" form for them to promise to repair those problems.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, then you can wait until you take it for your first service (or when you have a stack of warranty issues to address) and have them do them all at once. That way you only lose your boat for 1 time rather than not getting it now and then losing it a second or third time later...

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
@Shir9406 ..... like @Julian said a warranty for resale is a very big deal. BTW - doesn't Yamaha have a reduced price on right now for any boat not delivered before may 2021? I'd check with the dealer. Also given the production problems that many manufacturers have faced I'd look hard at getting a extended warranty. :cool:

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
If you're on the fence about whether or not to get an extended warranty, remember that you don't have to get it at the time of purchase. Getting the dealer to throw in an extended warranty for free would be ideal but if that doesn't happen you can purchase an extended warranty at any point during the first year while your boat is still under its original one year warranty. The only caveat is that you'd have to pay for it out of pocket when you buy the extended warranty instead of being able to roll it into your loan at the time of boat purchase.

I'm waiting to decide if I want the extended warranty or not. I figured I'd see how things went in the first year of ownership with the new 25' series and if it seemed like there were issues cropping up then I'd go ahead and get an extended warranty. So far, I've had my 252SE for four months and haven't had a single issue.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also, remember two things:
1) I am pretty sure you can buy the warranty from any dealer during that time. Shop around... At time of purchase, these are some of the most marked up things in your purchase. Going back later you lose the leverage, but you can regain it by competitive bidding.
b) There are frequently third party extended warranties available, as well. Check with your insurance carrier as well.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Did yours come with analog tachometer? I was just reviewing pic I took and realized, it only have compass and connext screen.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I do not take many extended warranties. For the single engine 190 with so little that could go wrong after break-in, I didn't think the MSRP on the warranty was worth it. I read a thread a couple of days ago with everybody complaining how long it takes to get Yamaha to approve your warranty work. Boats are at the dealer for weeks waiting for decisions on cosmetics. Most of the build quality issues will show up in the initial warranty. Not sure about the more complicated boats, but the warranty on the single engine boats didn't seem like a great deal. Its really about what your risk tolerance is. I have had the boat for 2 years and it hasn't seen the dealer yet, but my gamble has a couple of years left.

I did purchase the warranty on my much more complicated car since it ended up to be half the price and had 8 years of coverage.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
All it takes is one repair after the original factory warranty expires to pay for a factory extended warranty.

My experiences with after market warranty companies has not been good. Each time I had an issue the aftermarket warranty company found a reason to not cover the repair =bs.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I must agree with you generally, @FSH 210 Sport , as to the aftermarket warranty companies. But similar products are offered by real insurance companies, as well, which I suspect a) cost more and b) provide more real coverage. Thus my recommendation to check with your present insurer to see if this can be added on (and what it would cover, etc.).

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I must agree with you generally, @FSH 210 Sport , as to the aftermarket warranty companies. But similar products are offered by real insurance companies, as well, which I suspect a) cost more and b) provide more real coverage. Thus my recommendation to check with your present insurer to see if this can be added on (and what it would cover, etc.).
I didn’t know regular insurance companies offered such coverage! Thanks!

As an example of an extended warranty value, on one of my vehicles I got about an 800% percent return on a $2400 extended warranty.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Also, remember two things:
1) I am pretty sure you can buy the warranty from any dealer during that time. Shop around... At time of purchase, these are some of the most marked up things in your purchase. Going back later you lose the leverage, but you can regain it by competitive bidding.
b) There are frequently third party extended warranties available, as well. Check with your insurance carrier as well.
@tdonoughue. I am 100% 9in agreement with your first recommendation but with respect I'd avoid 3rd party warranty programs. repair shops hate these as they almost always have to fight with the insurer to get paid, get even less hourly rate than the manufacturers' warranties and these 3rd party warranties usually have many more disqualifiers than the OEM extended warranty. for a few bucks more go with the OEM warranty IMO. :cool: