• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 Models

Sealegs89

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see aggressive pricing on new models, I would consider upgrading to a 25 or a 212s, but I don't think it going to. Yamaha has a habit of not over supplying the pipeline. They are pretty smart and I am sure way ahead of our conjecture. I think that there will be a lot of used boats flooding the market, no doubt. But the way Yamaha can combat that is for some innovation and features which would increase the demand for the new ones. Then they maintain a good level by controlling supply. If they shit the bed and push out a ton of new boats that will hurt them in 21 as well as be more crippling in 2022. Which could ultimately go to a collapse in sales if the finite number of available and able boaters dries up as time goes along. With yearly increases there is a certain point that someone is not going to pay 60+k for an AR or SX 210. They are pretty savvy. Keep in mind that the financial repercussions of this pandemic won't be felt truly for another 1-2 years when it is time to pay the piper with all the free money and checks the government wrote out on our backs without a plan for repayment. I am not stating that it was wrong, and I believe it helped a great many people and was needed, but sooner or later the tab will come and need to be paid which will most likely cause us to slide down hill as a whole.
I’ve done a lot of comparing of brands, it seems like the ar and sx models are priced extremely competitive. Prob more negotiating power on the higher end models. I’m looking at a 21ft chaparral i/o as an alternative, mainly because I have a dealer very close. Pricing on the Chaparral is higher for similarly appointed though, but the dealer seems more willing to negotiate the price. Maybe more padding in the price structure of other brands?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Perhaps padding. It would be my guess, or their sales are down and they are looking for skinnier profit margins or the MFG is kicking back. No way to really tell. If the boat punches all your check boxes it is a fit. For me I started looking at Chap, Bayliner, and others (had a VR6 with deposit on it) and when I saw the Yamaha and started reading about jet engines, the choice was made for me. It was jet or nothing. The Yamaha punched every check box I needed, except for an integrated toilet, which I over came by buying a portable.

My advice is don't settle. IF another boat is exactly what you want at what you can afford to pay do it. But don't settle, it will nag at you for some time to come, possibly.

JohnB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Sealegs89 what part of Ohio are you from? I'm in Northeast Ohio...and just picked up a new AR240 from Michigan today. The dealers around Ohio here only had high end (242SE, 212X, 242X) available. I thought the AR240 was the best value / fit for my family. Plus we really liked the Gray AR240 color scheme. SO when I found one in Mi, decided the 3 hour drive was worth it. We completed the deal, spent about an an hour on the water with the dealer going over the boat, then headed back to Ohio.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The tent in the bow is a great idea. Initially, I was wondering if I should look in to a cuddy for the little one, but fell in love with the design and value of the Yamaha’s. I’ve seen some portable battery powered or usb powered a/c’s. Not sure if they are any good, but it might keep a tent cool in the bow.
Wife bought a USB charged fan for the stroller we bring along, works well. Ryobi makes a cordless fan that uses their tool batteries. If we didn’t have the usb one I was going to get it. I got a bunch of their tools and thinflator that works great for tubes.

apologies for the thread derail

AndyGuertin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey Guys,

Brand new to forum.

Trying to decide between a 2021 sx 190 and the sx 195. I know most of the the differences, but is the extra chunk of change really worth it? I'm thinking the 195s would hold their value better than the 190s?

I have been reading about the heat soak issues on the older models? Anybody had any issues with some of the most recent models?

Also anybody ever heard of putting an AR tower on a SX? I've seen guys swapping out the AR bench seat for a captains chair, but can't find anything about putting AR towers on SX models.

Attached is the colors for the 2021 models. My dealer said they are getting 6 19 foot boats delivered at the end of the month.

I guess yamaha is rushing 19 foot boats cause there are not many changes.

Thanks
Thanks for the color chart. My dealer failed to update me on this. So...your dealer is saying they will have some by the end of the month? Is that this month July?

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Perhaps padding.
Definitely padded - Chaparrel is high quality, but at a premium price that can be negotiated somewhat.

We looked at all the brands to get a feel for prices, and jet drive was not originally part of the goal, but after reading about the benefits and how they perform that become our target segment. And at the end of it all Yamaha was a bit lower priced but it had what we needed/wanted in a jetboat or any boat for that matter (within our needs).
My advice is don't settle. IF another boat is exactly what you want at what you can afford to pay do it. But don't settle, it will nag at you for some time to come, possibly.
THIS! You'll read it many times on this forum "buy your second boat first" - means buy what you you really want, don't settle as you'll end up selling or trading in and buying again, and losing a lot of satisfaction and money in the process.

We originally started looking at the 19' class as we already a 20' boat and didn't need bigger, but to get the twin engines we needed to bump it up a bit and the 212s fit our needs. We looked at the 24' class too as it was well within the budget, but didn't need the extras they offered as the 21' hit the marks for us. We almost bought a 195s but the 212s was what I really wanted (twins rock!) and talked the wife into it. Now that we have it, she says we made the right choice for us and she wouldn't have been as happy with the 19'. Go figure. :D

Really happy with our choice...don't settle. This is a "toy" you need to be completely happy with or you'll have buyers remorse.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
decided the 3 hour drive was worth it. We completed the deal, spent about an an hour on the water with the dealer going over the boat, then headed back to Ohio.
Same here...drove about two hours to see the boat we brought home.
:thumbsup:

bmatthews3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
New to the forum - with pretty much all the same questions/answers listed here. Thanks everyone for the info.

Just moved to Lake Travis (Austin, TX) about a year ago, and of course with nothing else going on, we want to splurge on a boat. We thought the AR series was the best value for us to fit our needs, either AR190 or 210 but everything is sold out. Dealer said August for 2021 models.

Question - Since we haven't been able to actually see the boat in person, is there a huge difference between the AR190 and AR210 in terms of size? Does it feel like a way bigger boat? Does the AR190 feel small?

Thanks!

Sarcophosaur

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
New to the forum - with pretty much all the same questions/answers listed here. Thanks everyone for the info.

Just moved to Lake Travis (Austin, TX) about a year ago, and of course with nothing else going on, we want to splurge on a boat. We thought the AR series was the best value for us to fit our needs, either AR190 or 210 but everything is sold out. Dealer said August for 2021 models.

Question - Since we haven't been able to actually see the boat in person, is there a huge difference between the AR190 and AR210 in terms of size? Does it feel like a way bigger boat? Does the AR190 feel small?

Thanks!
I'm in the Austin area as well, and we're having the same debate you are. We're between the 19' or 21'. I was able to stop and talk to John at Ski Dock earlier this year when they still had some inventory, and on land the size difference was significant. I'm guessing on the water the size difference feels even more significant. BUT, before I commit to double the maintenance cost and paying for storage (21' wont fit my garage most likely), I really would like to make sure the 2 feet is necessary for us. Everyone talks about 2-foot-itis but I've had just as much fun on a Bayliner 175 as a 24 foot Malibu, so YMMV...

Ski Dock typically participates in this on the water event, but it was cancelled in April 2020 due to covid, and it's not looking like they'll be having a fall show either:

We're looking to order a 2021 in February, but I'm really hoping to find a way to see both hulls on the water before we put money down.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What is your use case? We were in both the 19' and 21' and the 21' felt and was significantly bigger to us. Our use case is 4-9 people. Gear, tubes, boards, back packs, an extra cooler, a couple few adults and kids and their friends. It starts adding up quick. If you are talking 7-8 people in the 19' it will feel crowded, at least we thought so. If it was just us and occasionally another person or two the 19' would of worked. Also factor in the water you will be on. Since we boat inland lakes and rivers as well as the Great Lakes and sooner or later the Ocean, we felt the 21' gave us more boat and a bit more piece of mind, at least for us. A lot of members have no Problem with the 19' in big water, I just felt we should have a bit more.

We decided on the 21' and are very happy with it. We may go to a bigger boat next year or the year after, which could be a 240 or 250 depending on how everything shakes out, or just stay where we are with the AR210.

bmatthews3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the info, guys!

Sarcophosaur - Yep, we went into Ski Dock and filled out a form to be called when 2021's arrive. Don't remember the salesman's name but they didn't mention anything about a deposit like some have mentioned on this forum.

As for use case - it would only be us two then family/friends that would come to visit(2-8 people at a time). We only have 1 other couple that we've met so far in Austin that would regularly join us. (We'll probably make friends quicker when we own a boat, go figure ha).

I saw the price difference is pretty substantial going from 19' to 21' (~13k+). On her parents side, they own an older 19ft Tige and it's definitely a hassle to have to "take turns" when we have large groups because of space shortage so that also makes me think we'll want a bigger boat. I think we'll kick ourselves if we don't get a 21' but we really don't have a use for the extra space.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The space can and does fill up quick. It is not like you can add it on later. If you plan on upgrading if your needs change in a couple years or so that is one thing. But if you are going for the long haul with the boat then personally I would take the extra space. 8 people with gear can get crowded very quick.

Sarcophosaur

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
What is your use case? We were in both the 19' and 21' and the 21' felt and was significantly bigger to us. Our use case is 4-9 people. Gear, tubes, boards, back packs, an extra cooler, a couple few adults and kids and their friends. It starts adding up quick. If you are talking 7-8 people in the 19' it will feel crowded, at least we thought so. If it was just us and occasionally another person or two the 19' would of worked. Also factor in the water you will be on. Since we boat inland lakes and rivers as well as the Great Lakes and sooner or later the Ocean, we felt the 21' gave us more boat and a bit more piece of mind, at least for us. A lot of members have no Problem with the 19' in big water, I just felt we should have a bit more.

We decided on the 21' and are very happy with it. We may go to a bigger boat next year or the year after, which could be a 240 or 250 depending on how everything shakes out, or just stay where we are with the AR210.
Thanks for the insight!

Our use case is going to be 7 max. 4 adults and 3 young kids. Most of the time it'll be just our immediate family 2A/2K, plus a friend or two. I imagine 95%+ of our use will be on Lakes Travis and LBJ (inland lakes). I never expect to go to the gulf or a larger body of water.

I've owned Sea Doo PwC before, and have family with boats. We also joined a boat club for a year to do a little "shopping" before we bought. I'm very familiar with how crowded boats become not fun pretty quick. I guess where I'm at is this subjective grey area where I really feel like I need to experience the two to make sure I should spend ~$1000+ more per year in TCO. Its not a huge sum, but that's a lot of gas, tacos, and beer.

Thanks for the info, guys!

Sarcophosaur - Yep, we went into Ski Dock and filled out a form to be called when 2021's arrive. Don't remember the salesman's name but they didn't mention anything about a deposit like some have mentioned on this forum.

As for use case - it would only be us two then family/friends that would come to visit(2-8 people at a time). We only have 1 other couple that we've met so far in Austin that would regularly join us. (We'll probably make friends quicker when we own a boat, go figure ha).

I saw the price difference is pretty substantial going from 19' to 21' (~13k+). On her parents side, they own an older 19ft Tige and it's definitely a hassle to have to "take turns" when we have large groups because of space shortage so that also makes me think we'll want a bigger boat. I think we'll kick ourselves if we don't get a 21' but we really don't have a use for the extra space.
How about we just go in halvsies on a 24'? Kidding of course. Ill probably see you on the water next year!

I haven't been back to formally get in line yet, because we wont be ready until 2021. I actually didn't hear that they'd require a deposit, I was just assuming that might be necessary to get an order in if they didnt have exactly what I wanted in their pipeline. I think deposits may be agaisnt the law for car dealers in TX. No idea if that applies to boats. I've factory ordered 3 vehicles here, never was asked for a deposit.

Sarcophosaur

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
The space can and does fill up quick. It is not like you can add it on later. If you plan on upgrading if your needs change in a couple years or so that is one thing. But if you are going for the long haul with the boat then personally I would take the extra space. 8 people with gear can get crowded very quick.
Mostly due to storage costs, my TCO would be so much lower on the 19' that I could afford to upgrade in 3-5 years without taking as huge of a hit as it appears on the surface. Upgrading is definitely a part of the equation, especially if the kids do get into watersports as much as I was as a kid.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Sarcophosaur

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Maybe we'll just flip a coin and let gravity decide! Haha. Thanks again for the insight.

bmatthews3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the insight!

Our use case is going to be 7 max. 4 adults and 3 young kids. Most of the time it'll be just our immediate family 2A/2K, plus a friend or two. I imagine 95%+ of our use will be on Lakes Travis and LBJ (inland lakes). I never expect to go to the gulf or a larger body of water.

I've owned Sea Doo PwC before, and have family with boats. We also joined a boat club for a year to do a little "shopping" before we bought. I'm very familiar with how crowded boats become not fun pretty quick. I guess where I'm at is this subjective grey area where I really feel like I need to experience the two to make sure I should spend ~$1000+ more per year in TCO. Its not a huge sum, but that's a lot of gas, tacos, and beer.

How about we just go in halvsies on a 24'? Kidding of course. Ill probably see you on the water next year!

I haven't been back to formally get in line yet, because we wont be ready until 2021. I actually didn't hear that they'd require a deposit, I was just assuming that might be necessary to get an order in if they didnt have exactly what I wanted in their pipeline. I think deposits may be agaisnt the law for car dealers in TX. No idea if that applies to boats. I've factory ordered 3 vehicles here, never was asked for a deposit.

Hell, might as well go halvsies on a 27' then! Yes sir, feel free to private message me if you ever want to link up Yamaha's! (when we can get one)

Thanks @HangOutdoors

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I was at BMC Boats in Longwood, FL a couple days ago. They were all sold out of 2020s; the guy pulled out some information he was emailed on the 2021s. It said shipments would start 12 August. He had some pictures of the 212 only, it was all Black with a blue stripe... looked really sharp.

burgjp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was at BMC Boats in Longwood, FL a couple days ago. They were all sold out of 2020s; the guy pulled out some information he was emailed on the 2021s. It said shipments would start 12 August. He had some pictures of the 212 only, it was all Black with a blue stripe... looked really sharp.
how was your experience with bmc? I live in jax, FL and 2 of the Yamaha dealerships here were not so welcoming when I wanted to take a look at a 19' and 21' AR series. I've heard good things about BMC and cyclesprings from friends who have purchased. i'm new to the forum and jeatboating so I've just been lurking and trying to soak in all the knowledge from here.

John_D

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
That's great news! I pre ordered the 195FSH Sport, I'm dealing with Scott at Cycle Springs.