• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2023 255xd Maptuner X tunes

jsr418

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Hi all,

I’ve had skis forever but just purchased a leftover 255xd with the twin SVHO engines. The boat is gorgeous and I can’t wait to use it. I already have the maptuner x for my skis and was wondering if anyone has tested the stock tune which removes the speed limiter on the boats. I know it offers substantial gains on the skis. Just not sure how much you will get out of it with the heavier boat. I appreciate everyone’s input!

Jay

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’ve never heard of a speed limiter on the boats.

Have you driven this boat yet ? I don’t recall seeing any posts about people complaining about power and speed in the 255 XD. A friend of mine has this boat and he seems very impressed with the speed.

jsr418

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Thanks for the response. I haven’t driven the boat yet so just looking at this from a svho in a gp1800r or fx svho. The ecu electronically limits the speed on these engines to comply with the coast guard to a top speed of 67mph. By utilizing the maptuner x, you can take off that “limiter” if you will to unlock the full potential of these motors with no other engine mods. On the Greenhulk forum, there are guys that are doing in the upper 70s with this done. I know the results would be different on the bigger, heavier boats but I am curious to see if anyone has any experience with it. I’m going to reach out to RIVA today to see. Am I correct in saying that your friend sees a top speed of roughly 54-55mph on this boat? Again, really appreciate your response and help!

Jay

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for the response. I haven’t driven the boat yet so just looking at this from a svho in a gp1800r or fx svho. The ecu electronically limits the speed on these engines to comply with the coast guard to a top speed of 67mph. By utilizing the maptuner x, you can take off that “limiter” if you will to unlock the full potential of these motors with no other engine mods. On the Greenhulk forum, there are guys that are doing in the upper 70s with this done. I know the results would be different on the bigger, heavier boats but I am curious to see if anyone has any experience with it. I’m going to reach out to RIVA today to see. Am I correct in saying that your friend sees a top speed of roughly 54-55mph on this boat? Again, really appreciate your response and help!

Jay
That’s about right on the top speed. He also stated this boat will push you back in the seat. Again, I’ve never seen a post wherein someone was trying to remove a speed limiter in the boats. Lots of posts about not being able to achieve much lower speeds on other models.

Im not sure how the RIVA tuners work, or whether any tune leaves a footprint, aka evidence of tampering, but if you have a factory warranty and there is an issue that could void the warranty. Most of the car manufacturers got tired of warranty claims on power trains damage caused by tuners and made it so anytime a change is made to the ECU software, whether or not the stock tune is restored, will leave evidence of tampering. Again, I have no knowledge of how these ECU ‘s are or how the RIVA tuners work.

jsr418

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Really looking forward to getting on this boat. Looks like it’s gonna be a ton of fun. I have a 42 ft Sea Ray so was looking for something a little more playful as a second boat. I was toying between the 22 footer with the 1.8 HO engine also but I’m a performance guy so went with the 255 to get the SVHO engines.
The maptuner allows you to upload different tunes into the ecu. Generally, the svho motors run hard up to the speed limit in the tune and then electronically pull the rpm’s down to adhere with the coast guard regulations. That’s why on the skis you could see a flash for a second or two above that regulated limit by the coast guard before it ticks back down to the 67mph number. By installing the stock tune limiter removal, it takes away the ability for the ecu to electronically dial the speed back to the coast guard regulated speed limit. The maptuner x allows you to buy a license for each engine for roughly $600 and you can go back and forth between totally stock tune and the performance tunes. It’s an incredible mod on the skis. When the dealer plugs into the ecu to read data, they can see that the rpm’s never exceeded the limiter so shouldn’t be an issue from a warranty perspective. There is definitely more benefit out of the svho engine then ho engine. Should be interesting when they release the new 1.9 with the supercharger next year as far as performance goes…. I’ll reach out to RIVA and speak to them to see if they have had any success with the boats and report back. There was a thread on here with someone else that did this on one of the high output 1.8 engines and said he definitely felt better acceleration from using one of these tunes….. thanks again for your reply!!!

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Following! The wife and I are considering purchasing a 255XD. I’ve been researching this myself and I’m interested in knowing if will make a noticeable difference. I know that the boat does 55+ already depending on conditions, but if it’s capable of 60+, why not turn it loose and let it run.

jsr418

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
That’s exactly what I’m talking about. I’m emailing back and forth with Jesus from Riva who writes the tunes. He doesn’t have specific numbers but he said impressive gains with just the limiter removal. Waiting on what his “safe stage 1” entails as far as additional mods. Will keep you posted!!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If its anything like the TR-1 ”tune” they will raise the rev limiter, increase the fuel, and have you go to an impeller(s) with less pitch..

jsr418

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
These SVHO engines are a completely different animal the the TR-1. Sure, raising RPMs, giving more air, giving more fuel and raising pitch will increase speed. But, the SVHO engine has so much untapped potential in its stock form, it’s insane. Take a look at the Greenhulk forums for some more info. You guys would be shocked. A stock Gp1800r had a stock top speed of 67mph. Take off the limiter, it touched 79mph with no other mods!!!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Again, I’ve never heard of the boat SVHO being on a rev or speed limiter. From what I understand only PWC have a USCG speed limiter.

A PWC has far less weight than a boat does.

Im sure there is more power available from the SVHO engines via fuel, engine timing and increased boost.

What did RIVA say?

jsr418

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Riva said a simple tune will unlock a lot of extra power. It doesn’t need any additional mods with the SVHO if you do one of the basic tunes. Obviously the more aggressive the tune, the more additional performance parts that would be needed. Now you are talking different valves, retainers, fuel injectors, air filters, superchargers, etc. I’m not interested in any of that and not willing to sacrifice reliability. Just looking for some additional speed. With the SVHO engine, you can unlock quite a bit for a low cost with the maptuner alone….

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Anything you do, more than likely compromises reliability to some extent. I’m not sure there really is much more to be had out of those motors. The top speed threads still baffle me.

jsr418

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Not sure what is baffling over asking about performance gains. Simply trying to determine how a simple tune to remove speed restrictions in the ecu will translate from a light 900lb Jetski to a much heavier 4500 lb boat. These SVHO motors have a lot more to give. Obviously the more complex the tune, and the need for additional performance parts to feed the engine more fuel and air and to bulk up the internals will absolutely sacrifice reliability. There is a ton of research out there about this and how unlocking the restrictions of the ecu from electronically keeping the speed in line with what the coast guard asks for don’t impact reliability.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Not sure what is baffling over asking about performance gains. Simply trying to determine how a simple tune to remove speed restrictions in the ecu will translate from a light 900lb Jetski to a much heavier 4500 lb boat. These SVHO motors have a lot more to give. Obviously the more complex the tune, and the need for additional performance parts to feed the engine more fuel and air and to bulk up the internals will absolutely sacrifice reliability. There is a ton of research out there about this and how unlocking the restrictions of the ecu from electronically keeping the speed in line with what the coast guard asks for don’t impact reliability.
It’s a boat not a racing machine like a jetski. I highly doubt there is any digital speed restriction on the boat. This topic has been beaten to death. IIRC the engines for the boats are damn near maxed out and limitations are at the pump not the motor. The areas where you can safely pull off 50+ on a boat are far and few in between.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I would love to do this to our 255xd but convincing my wife I need this tune is the issue. I hate that we have to pay for 2 tunes one per motor and no break in price. Every time I have called RIVA i get some D-bag that could care less about a boat question. The best answer I get is "well try it (the tune) and see if it works". My plan was to do the tune and do the twin/ stacked impellers from leading edge impellers. We already need more bite from the hole. Or roll into it then punch it, is a blast in this boat. @Wicked92

jsr418

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I’ll be the guinea pig and do it once I get the boat and it gets warmer in NY. I became friendly with the guy who is the expert on the maptuner and the tunes and he was very helpful. I’ll report back here as I get more info.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Does RIVA provide specific information with a dyno chart of their map tuner gains in regards to horsepower and torque?

jsr418

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
First one is stock. Second one is a stage one tune that requires no additional performance parts according to the maptuner website