• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2023 255xd Maptuner X tunes

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
If they can take the mush out of the factory throttle curve/map. That will be a game changer. I found on my '18 242x 1.8 na and now the '22 255xd that the throttle needed help. Like one of those pedalmax things. I found that if you set the connext wake presets ro fast launch and target speed to max 40mph or whatever it was. That it would launch what felt like 2x as hard. Even the 242x would put you in your seat. But you can not Recreate that by hand.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Correct if I am wrong here but the charts are identical minus they raise the RPM limiter to 8000 yielding an extra 32hp and 10tq at WOT?

jsr418

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length

This is a good video that maybe explains it a bit better then I can

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
They are very similar. But it looks like the power comes on sooner when you more closely compare thru the rpm range.

jsr418

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Here is the full article including the video

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I’m planning on doing the intake upgrade (ribbon delete), power filters or something similar, impellers, and lucky 13 pump cones even if I don’t tune it. So the stage 1 8500 plus tune with 309hp is looking pretty tempting.

jsr418

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Certainly does look tempting….. once you get into stage 1 and further, you run the risk of compromising warranty. Although, From what I understand very little if no impact at all on reliability if that makes sense….

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Certainly does look tempting….. once you get into stage 1 and further, you run the risk of compromising warranty. Although, From what I understand very little if no impact at all on reliability if that makes sense….
Just to be clear - anything you do risks comprising warranty... especially raising RPM limits. If the tuner is telling you otherwise, they are full of it.

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I get my 255XD sometime between now and April, but hear it’s a pretty impressive performance wise. Can’t wait to drive it and compare from my 2014 242LS.

Following this thread and I’m excited to see how yours does when you get it and tuned out.

Pretty good stats from just a stage 1 tune and no other mods.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length

jsr418

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Thanks for posting this. Some great info here. The SVHO engine is a completely different animal than the HO engine. The gains unlocked with a basic tune and/or basic mods on the supercharged engine are substantially more profound than that of the ho engine.
I’m going to pay for the boat today and they are holding it for me until my lift gets installed. Permits and lift paid for and hopefully installed in next 6 weeks. Will get those engines broken in asap and will absolutely post results here with and without the tunes.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
First one is stock. Second one is a stage one tune that requires no additional performance parts according to the maptuner website
Thanks for posting those graphs!

So stock is 257 Hp and 179.8 Ft lb of torque @7500 rpm.

The second graph is the Stage 1 8300, (not the Stage 1 8000 which only removes the speed limiter and there is no graph) which raises the rev limiter from 8000 rpm to 8300 rpm and removes the speed limiter, peak power @8100 rpm (+600 rpm)=292 Hp (+35 hp) / 189.3 Ft Lb(+9.5). Looks like 6.2 Hp and 3 Ft Lb increase at the stock 7500 rpm.

I just dug into the RIVA map tune website and discovered the tunes you listed and graphs are for PWC not boats, the section on boat tunes has no graphs or documented Hp / Tq gains. As well, in the boat tunes section there is no mention of removing a speed limiter, which, supports my point in earlier posts that there are no speed limiters on the boats, only PWC‘s per the USCG rules have speed limiters, and is the basis for RIVA’s big Hp gains because in stock configuration, the speed limiter limits the engine rpm to 7500 at top speed, not max engine rpm (rev limiter) which is 8000 rpm, and RIVA’s red line in the graph only goes to 7500, but the graph itself goes up to 7800 which is the target rpm.

My point is this, comparing PWC tunes and performance to a boat is apples and oranges. None of the boat tests I have seen with the SVHO engines show rpm’s in excess of 7400 rpms with one exception of the 222 XD which is 7700 rpm. The power to weight ratio of a PWC is dramatically different than a boat, as such there is more than enough power to go a lot faster and with higher rpms with the oem engine power and impeller combination, not to mention raising the rev limiter / target rpm, and raising the rev limiter / target rpm in the PWC‘s is necessary once the speed limiter is removed to keep the PWC from bouncing off of the stock rev limiter before it reached the power limitation of the engine.

The increase of 6hp at 7500 rpm will produce little increase in rpm’s of a fully loaded pump in the 255XD as the hp requirement to raise the rpms at that point is increasing at an exponential rate.

The link that @F.M. posted was quite telling, especially when you look at what GMtech(?) had to say and illustrated the short comings of the map tuner.

Does Jesus know that what you are doing is for a boat?
Ask Jesus what effect the speed limiter has on a boat, I‘m betting none as there isn’t one, and that is key on the ski’s.
Ask Jesus if their tuner will leave a footprint in the ECU that will ultimately void your warranty.

Here’s is my prediction if you buy this tune, you will get some perkiness out of the throttle response, but you will not realize the 35 hp gains because you will not be able to get to the 8100 rpm without going to a lower pitch impeller because the engine / pump combination is at its limit due to the amount of power available. And, if you raise the rev limiter to 8300 rpm to get to the target rpm of 8100 rpm that is not going to help with the longevity of the engine. And, if you lower the pitch of the impeller, there is a good chance that you will have cavitation if you hammer the throttle from a stand still, (edit) unless you go to a twin screw impeller(s).

You could just go to a slightly lower pitch impeller and get your engine closer to the oem rev limiter of 8000 rpm and the ecu will compensate, and you will have gained roughly 300-400 rpm thereby moving more air and more fuel which equals more power at a fraction of the cost of a tuner.

Have a look at this thread about twin screw impellers; https://jetboaters.net/threads/who-has-experiance-with-twin-screw-impellers.37689/

I am not trying to burst your bubble I’m trying to save a ton of money and frustration.

Last edited:

jsr418

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
This is great info. Thank you for taking the time to post. I’m having a conversation with Jesus next week and will report back. He is 100% aware that this is on the boat but will definitely let you know what he says. Thanks again!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This is great info. Thank you for taking the time to post. I’m having a conversation with Jesus next week and will report back. He is 100% aware that this is on the boat but will definitely let you know what he says. Thanks again!
Right on… I’m glad you found it useful. Have a look at that thread that @F.M. posted… it does turn into a bit of a dumpster fire in places, but I found the info very useful. I may even look at going to the twin screw impeller as well, I have the cavitation issue if I hammer the throttle from a standstill and my little TR-1 engines are totally stock except the RIVA K&N style air filter which did get me an additional 200 rpm. But, the high altitude impellers did get my engines up closer to the rated rpm of 8000, roughly 7500-7600 at my highest lake, up from 6900-7000, and it was a big gain in performance. At the lowest elevation lake I go to I’m up at 8000 rpm and the boat has a lot more power, but, if I hammer it the cavitation is worse, and even if I get going a bit and drop the hammer the impellers will break loose until the boat gets going a bit more. But again, the performance gain is worth that, and I lost about .3-.5 mpg as well, which may not be a concern for others, but I do some longer distance runs wherein I carry an extra 22 gallons in a moeller top side gas tank.

Good luck ! I’ll be waiting to see how it all works out for you.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Good luck ! I’ll be waiting to see how it all works out for you.
The reason you do not see any boat tune graphs is . No one is going to take a motor out of a boat to Dyno it. The motors are the same units as PWC.
Hopefully if we get support from the venders. We may get someone to test a tune with the stock impellers and someone to test with the double stacked/ Twin impeller.
If you are worried about tunning and warranty, it's time to stop even looking at this as an fun idea. If you have time to look into any of the info on greenhulk the stage1 tunes are safe. If any thing adding a fizzle blow off valve will be added safety.

If we only pick up a little added RPM/HP good. But if He can give us a better throttle response. Then Great.
I have set the presets on the contexts to fast launch and max speed as if I was pulling a skier. The boats are a completely different animal. It leaves you thinking WOW where did that come from. I have tested this on our old '18 242x and the our '22 255xd. Because not all boat captains are created equal Yamaha has taken a lot of FUN out of the boats to make them safe for all.
I started my Yamaha jet boat journey in 04 with a 98 exciter 270. I have piloted some of the early 21' & 23' boats too that did not have the articulating keel. You know the good old days when you could kick the stern loose. But to make them safe for all we get mushy throttles and a tight rear end.

jsr418

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Well said Jake. Looking forward to trying this. Keep you all posted

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
stock rpm limiter is 7900ish. Ive hit it with my new stacked impellers. Repitch is going to bring me a little under that. I dont want to be riding the limiter nor do i want to raise it. I need longevity on this boat.

Tuning and gaining hp at a specific rpm point is much different on a boat. You wont gain any additional speed if the boat is able to achieve a certain rpm given a impeller pitch/pump set up, all its going to do is benefit throttle response. A 250hp vs 290hp at 7500 with the same impeller/pump setup will net no increase in speed. Stock tune is already capable of 7900 rpm. Now when i had stock impellers i would top out at 7500-7600rpm and 57-58mph....im now 51-52mph up on the limiter @ 7900ish. But out of the hole my boat will fling you off the boat with the hole shot. Im adjusting to gain a lil bit of my speed back and bump the rpms down. David @ leading edge said this is obtainable without loosing anything down low, just has to fine tune the variable pitch.

I think a tune may get you a lil more top end on the stock impellers seeing i was 400rpm shy of the limiter if the pump can support it and maybe some playing with lucky13 cones. Thats something that would prob need to be tested.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The reason you do not see any boat tune graphs is . No one is going to take a motor out of a boat to Dyno it. The motors are the same units as PWC.
If everything is the same then the dyno charts associated with the ski tunes should be attached to the boat tunes as well. Do you agree?

Im glad that @Wicked92 posted his results with the twin screw impellers, real world results are the best! An analogy to what he said would be; a given pump configuration will pump a given amount of water at a given rpm no matter the hp. “Now when i had stock impellers i would top out at 7500-7600rpm and 57-58mph....im now 51-52mph up on the limiter @ 7900ish”.

This is the point I was making in an earlier post, the svho motor was at its peak Hp/Tq at 7500-7600 which was pushing his boat at 57-58 mph, so unless more power can be made at 7500-7600 rpm which would allow the engine to turn an extra 400 hp up to the rev limiter and gain a few more mph nothing will change except perhaps drivability / throttle response. In the dyno charts provided there is only a hp gain of roughly 6 hp at 7500 rpm, this much power gain is negligible, 2.4%, which is equivalent to the difference between a cool day and a warm day due to density altitude changes, yes a mile per hour two might be gained, but in this case that is some very expensive horsepower. To gain the 35 hp /14% the motor has to be spun faster to pump more and thus burn more fuel, and the only way to do this in a boat configuration without increasing the volumetric efficiency of the engine by increasing the boost pressure, different cams and or head work is to reduce pitch to allow the engine to spin faster.

“But out of the hole my boat will fling you off the boat with the hole shot”. Awesome! The overall pitch was a bit lower increasing the mechanical advantage the engine has to allow the boat to “Launch” harder, like using lower end gears in a differential in a car, but top speed decreased due to the less overall water being pumped at maximum rpm, and at the original rpm of 7500-7600 the speed would be even less.

I still maintain that going the route @Wicked92 did to fine tune the impeller is the most effective way to improve performance at a given location, altitude, without sacrificing reliability / longevity / warranty.

There will be a loss in mpg by going to a lower pitch impeller, my personal experience was a loss of .3-.5 mpg but it was well worth the gain in performance in my case, there’s always a trade off. If I was going to be running a lot of longer distances and fuel range was a concern I’d drop my oem impellers in and sacrifice some top end speed for up to 25 miles greater range.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
"A 250hp vs 290hp at 7500 with the same impeller/pump setup will net no increase in speed. " But 290hp at 7500 will give you the ability to re-pitch and in turn can pick up top speed.
Yamaha just launched a 1.9ho 200hp and the stock wave runners picked up 4mph. So more HP and a different impeller then the 1.8. I know this was also talked about here during the Yamaha launch of the 1.9 in the boat there was some added speed on the top end on the 222.

"I still maintain that going the route @Wicked92 did to fine tune the impeller is the most effective way to improve performance at a given location, altitude, without sacrificing reliability / longevity / warranty."

"There will be a loss in mpg by going to a lower pitch impeller, my personal experience was a loss of .3-.5 mpg but it was well worth the gain in performance in my case, there’s always a trade off. If I was going to be running a lot of longer distances and fuel range was a concern I’d drop my oem impellers in and sacrifice some top end speed for up to 25 miles greater range."

@FSH 210 Sport You are worried about a completely different end results then we are looking for. You keep talking reliability / longevity / warranty/ 25 miles greater range.
We are talking more power more fun
These motors are more than capable of more HP and a bit more RPMs.

Wicked is @ sea level best case for hp and top speed. He has a set of the twin impellers that were pitched for best results and he lost top end speed. Can he get it back? maybe. Still waiting on this season testing.

@FSH 210 Sport Aren't you scratching every ich you can find to MOD your TR1's to gain maybe 4mph. I could literally copy and past all of your posts from this thread to "Tuning a TR1 - Riva Tuner" and poo poo on your journey.