• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

210 FSH trolling motor - 60 or 72 ?

Frank Marshall

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I contacted Minn-Kota for weights of a few trolling motors to compare. All they could give me was shipping weights, which would include packaging.

Riptide Terrova 80#
54" - 57 lbs
60" - 58 lbs
72" - 62 lbs
Riptide Terrova 112#
60" - 65 lbs
72" - 69 lbs
Riptide Ulterra 112#
60" - 80 lbs
72" - 84 lbs (estimated, not given)

Going from my Terrova 80# 54" to a Ulterra 112# 72" is almost a 50% increase in weight, not to mention the longer shaft to manage.

Grassman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I went with a 72 112lb ulterra on my 210 FSH. All 3 batteries in forward console. Lists a little to port with everything else centered. No big deal, fill the livewell or have someone sit on opposite side. Done. So far I love it but would definitely recommend battery tender trolling motor plug. Saved me a lot of trouble on my last Xi5 motor. But spot lock will change your life if you fish offshore.

Pete G

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Where did you plan on putting your batteries
I have mine stored in the front left storage compartment. Makes the boat a little left on the port side

Pete G

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I went with a 72 112lb ulterra on my 210 FSH. All 3 batteries in forward console. Lists a little to port with everything else centered. No big deal, fill the livewell or have someone sit on opposite side. Done. So far I love it but would definitely recommend battery tender trolling motor plug. Saved me a lot of trouble on my last Xi5 motor. But spot lock will change your life if you fish offshore.
Thinking of going to a GPS type motor. I have a lot trouble controlling my 190 in the wind given it has no real rudder in the rear. What's been your success with the Ulterra? Thank you

brownjjst

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I went with the RipTide Terrova 80 lb thrust! Unless you just want to spend the money the 60 will do just fine! 24v and my batteries are mounted under the starboard side under the jump seat of my 2017 FSH 190 Deluxe....

Attachments

orexismd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have a 21 FSH and went with motorguide 36V 105 lb thrust with 60" shaft. in 2-3 ft seas, the prop does come out of the water from time to time but it doesn't seem to affect performance or ability to maintain position. First few runs i noticed undesired flex in the mounting bracket while under load. I drilled a couple of extra holes in the stock mounting plate and ran extra screws and bolts for added stability and lined the bottom of the bracket with rubber from an old boot sole to prevent from wearing into the gelcoat. This stabilized the mount greatly ;)

Floridaman79

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I have a 21 FSH and went with motorguide 36V 105 lb thrust with 60" shaft. in 2-3 ft seas, the prop does come out of the water from time to time but it doesn't seem to affect performance or ability to maintain position. First few runs i noticed undesired flex in the mounting bracket while under load. I drilled a couple of extra holes in the stock mounting plate and ran extra screws and bolts for added stability and lined the bottom of the bracket with rubber from an old boot sole to prevent from wearing into the gelcoat. This stabilized the mount greatly ;)
@orexismd I'm looking to put in the exact same motor. Overall are you happy with the shaft at 60 or would you recommend 72? I also have a 210 fsh

Last edited:

Dumbassbass

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Port Clinton, Ohio - Western Basin Lake Erie
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
2020 210FSH - my Minn-Kota 112lb Terrova is a 60" as well. My experience has been the same. In 2-3ft chop on occasion I've had the prop come up briefly but no real effect on performance, I usually don't keep the motor down all the way unless I'm in heavier chop. Keeping that in mind measure where that 72" will stow, I'm not sure I would want the extra 12" hanging down the side and possibly out to the side of the boat especially when docking. I opted not to use the Factory mounting bracket and am very pleased with the 1/2"aluminum stock bracket I fabricated (thanks to jb.net forum) there is s significant amount of stress/torque with the 60" fully deployed I would imagine 20% more of using a 72"

Last edited:

orexismd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@orexismd I'm looking to put in the exact same motor. Overall are you happy with the shaft at 60 or would you recommend 72? I also have a 210 fsh
60" works just fine. As a test,(don't recommend, pretty scary-but fun!) I went just outside of a pass out of Grand Isle the summer in 5-6 foot seas with 20 knt winds and strong current, deployed the trolling motor next to the jetty and hit the spot lock. It held wonderfully. Yes, it did come out of the water a few times, but those were in extreme conditions. I think 72" is too big.

randocommando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Any thoughts on 24v vs 36v? Hate to haul around another battery if I don't really need to.

Dumbassbass

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Port Clinton, Ohio - Western Basin Lake Erie
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I went back and forth between the decision of 80lb thrust (24volt) and 112lb (36volt) for the same reason but because I have the 210FSH which is on the larger side for an 80lb thrust trolling motor (but most likely perfectly doable) opted for the extra thrust and battery life. I can honestly say on the remote control scale of prop speed 1-10, rarely have I used any higher than 7 so my thoughts are that the 80lb could certainly move the boat on normal conditions just fine. I am of the opinion that the 112lb is not working as hard using a larger motor and battery and if needed the extra power is there.

MARTYS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have a 60" 80lb i-Pilot on my 210. Fishing freshwater, so traditionally no large waves to battle, other than the occasional houseboat (would probably take a lot even with the 60" to pull it out of the water, imo).
Scott
How does the 80lb thrust hold the 210 in position with spot lock. I just purchased a 80lb 24 volt minn kota and before I pull it out of the box would like to know if it holds. I am a fair weathered fisherman so if its rough I head home

AlpharettaRK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I was delighted with how well my 80lb 60” Terrova in 15 mph winds with gusts of 20 last week. Not a problem at all. looking at remote it rarely went above 6 speed. All I could think of was my foot control on last bass boat and how hard it would have been to stay in place manually. The jog function worked great too This is on 222 FSH sport E

MARTYS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Scott
How does the 80lb thrust hold the 210 in position with spot lock. I just purchased a 80lb 24 volt minn kota and before I pull it out of the box would like to know if it holds. I am a fair weathered fisherman so if its rough I head home
Scott hasn’t been around since August of 2018. If you tap on the members avatar you can see their join date and last seen date unless that person has it hidden.

Not the answer for the question you asked, I have 112# Riptide Ulterra and it holds the boat in place even in 30 mph winds with higher gusts. If you’re new to jet boats with trolling motors you are going to find that the boat is not as stable as a boat with an outboard would be since there is no keel / outdrive in the back to anchor it so to speak and it will slide around a bit. In spot lock the bow can get pushed around causing the trolling motor to over correct / hunt sometimes. Not a big deal just wanted you to be aware.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have the motorguide xi5 80lb 60" 24v, If the seas are short periods and 2+ feet it will pop out sometimes. Generally if its shitty enough for my trolling motor to start lifting out the water i move to another spot (inshore). I have regrets about not getting the 36v system, not so much the battery life because i have that covered with 100ah lithium's that last all day, but more so the power to move around with more authority. Also, the 24v will struggle in wind and current and it barely has the authority that you need to re-position. if you live on a lake or something without any real current Im not sure how much it would matter, but ill let the those guys answer that. for me in coastal Georgia, the 36v, 60" would be the way to go if i had to do it all over again.