• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

222S Cruise RPM

windshear

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
How hard can you run the 1.8 HO engine. What cruise RPM do you use?

But I would suggest considering the fuel burn rate and the goal for the day as you select your cruise RPM, . Sometimes I slow down to make the outing longer! Sometimes you need the smile that only speed will bring.

Supposedly 6500 is most efficient, That is very surprising to me.

If you just want to spend time, and don't have a specific destination in mind, slower will burn less fuel per time transpired. (and if you leave the boat turned off it will consume even less, but where's the fun in that)

6k is the sweet spot for pretty much any of the Yamaha boats.

With an tr-1 or 1.8l engine.

MR1 more like 8k. ( I know there are fewer of us every year, but still going)

How hard can you run the 1.8 HO engine.
As mentioned, these engines are built to run WOT all day long. They're the same engines used in Waverunners and when was the last time you saw those putting around? One of my favourite things to do is cruise along at 25mph and shout "hold on" then punch it - she rockets off to 45mph in seconds and slams your passengers back in their seats as they grab the "holy s#!t" handles and yell out obscenities. Good times!
:D
Jetboats are known for their quick acceleration.
What cruise RPM do you use?
Whatever I feel like really. The only limiting factor is the bimini deployment which is rated for 45mph. If we're cruising or floating, it's open. But if we're going to do some running, then it gets folded up on the tower and we let her rip.

If you're talking about efficiency though, my 212s is most efficient at 5100rpm at 27mph using 9.0gph for a mpg of 3.0. That's under good cruising conditions and 2-3 people onboard, verified by GPS and live fuel consumption rates on the Connext screen.

But since fuel consumption is fairly linear with these engines when on plane, running up to about 6500rpm at 45mph is still fairly efficient at about 2.5mpg. I've cruised for up to an hour at 40mph without feeling like it's guzzling gas. Once you hit about 6800+ it starts to become less efficient and drops off, but even at WOT ripping across the water at 50+mph it's not terrible, especially when you see all the grins on people's faces when you look around. Or the "slow down" glare from some others. Good times either way.
:)

Awesome. I like how the boat feels at 6000 RPM and higher. I want the engines to last, but still have fun. Seems like the 222S has a little more drag than the 212. 6000 rpm gets me around 34 mph. Engines have 10 hrs on them now. I don't think it's getting full throttle. With the throttles all the way forward the wheel on the manual throttle to electric throttle converter still has a quarter inch to go before it hits the stops. I'll get that adjusted on the 10 hr service. Tops out at 47 mph so far.

Awesome. I like how the boat feels at 6000 RPM and higher. I want the engines to last, but still have fun. Seems like the 222S has a little more drag than the 212. 6000 rpm gets me around 34 mph. Engines have 10 hrs on them now. I don't think it's getting full throttle. With the throttles all the way forward the wheel on the manual throttle to electric throttle converter still has a quarter inch to go before it hits the stops. I'll get that adjusted on the 10 hr service. Tops out at 47 mph so far.

The best thing you can do to make the engines last is to use a high quality motor oil / filters and change it often. There’s plenty of what oil to use threads to read, I’m hoping this will not turn into another discussion on that here.

As far as adjusting the stops on the throttle lever go…while it is important to have full throw on the throttle lever, keep in mind it is a variable resistor / potentiometer that does have some variability into it. That being said, there is a “maximum” output so to speak that commands the ECV to open fully and this may happen before it hits the stops, there’s a procedure in the service manual where where the ohm readings and output of the throttle is checked and set.

What you are really after is to make sure the engines are reaching the rated rpm’s, which I believe is 7400-7500 on the 1.8L engines. There are a lot of factors that can affect top speed through the water, wind / water conditions, total weight in the boat, hull cleanliness etc.

It has been my experience that simply adjusting the cable to the stops made the two throttle handles be out of synch with each other while keeping the engine rpm’s in synch at various throttle openings. My advice would be to put the throttles in the wide open position (with the boat off!) and measure the gap on each throttle lever and write it down, that way after you adjust the cables if you find that the cables need to be put back to how they were you can do that easily.

With an tr-1 or 1.8l engine.

MR1 more like 8k. ( I know there are fewer of us every year, but still going)
yep ok at 6K but 7-8K on the MR1s seems to be the happy spot...

The best thing you can do to make the engines last is to use a high quality motor oil / filters and change it often. There’s plenty of what oil to use threads to read, I’m hoping this will not turn into another discussion on that here.

As far as adjusting the stops on the throttle lever go…while it is important to have full throw on the throttle lever, keep in mind it is a variable resistor / potentiometer that does have some variability into it. That being said, there is a “maximum” output so to speak that commands the ECV to open fully and this may happen before it hits the stops, there’s a procedure in the service manual where where the ohm readings and output of the throttle is checked and set.

What you are really after is to make sure the engines are reaching the rated rpm’s, which I believe is 7400-7500 on the 1.8L engines. There are a lot of factors that can affect top speed through the water, wind / water conditions, total weight in the boat, hull cleanliness etc.

It has been my experience that simply adjusting the cable to the stops made the two throttle handles be out of synch with each other while keeping the engine rpm’s in synch at various throttle openings. My advice would be to put the throttles in the wide open position (with the boat off!) and measure the gap on each throttle lever and write it down, that way after you adjust the cables if you find that the cables need to be put back to how they were you can do that easily.

Thanks for the info. I'm getting 7200 RPM max. With the port engine getting 100+ more rpm. I was just going to use Yamalube 10W-40 4W.

Thanks for the info. I'm getting 7200 RPM max. With the port engine getting 100+ more rpm. I was just going to use Yamalube 10W-40 4W.

You are right there rpm wise… what elevation are you at? Are you in Salt or Fresh water.

That oil is a fine choice, keep it clean.

487 ft and Fresh water.

Okay last suggestion that I have not seen mentioned yet, be sure that the engine oil level is not over full… this can drag the rpms down a bit. If you find the oil level too high, check your air cleaners for oil saturation.

Also, it is normal for the port engine to have slightly higher rpms due to the way the jet pump is loaded and the way the engines are turning.

487 ft and Fresh water.
At that elevation I think you should be hitting 7400 in hot weather, 7500 in cool weather.

Your throttle position sensor (TPS) stops are probably not fully open. I found mine were spot on when new, but after the first year of use, the cables had stretched a bit and I was no longer getting full open. A quick adjustment with two wrenches and I was back to 7500+ again on both engines. Yamaha no longer uses two different pitches on the port/starboard impellers so loading should be roughly the same on both. Top speed is always highly dependent on conditions but 47mph is pretty close. You might be able to eek out a bit more if the TPS's are not wide open.

Yes the 212s is a bit shorter and lighter with a bit less drag, so top speed is going to be a tad higher. Not that it matters all that much as we spend maybe 1% of our time WOT. Most of the time it's cruising between 25-30 unless slower doing watersports, toodling/sightseeing, etc. Or quickly running back to the ramp at 40-45 to beat the rain.
:)
If top speed is your goal, prop boats are better suited for speed. Something like a Liberator 21 with 300R hits 110+mph and costs $65k.

Back