• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

222S Trailer doesn't activate my factory brake controller

Farmdog267

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Looking for insight from those who own a 2020 or newer Chevy or GMC truck mostly... I have a brand new 222S and took it out for the 1st trip and I noticed that my factory trailer brake control doesn't illuminate when the boat trailer is plugged in to the truck. The truck is a 2020 Silverado 1500 Z71. We did opt in to have the dealer install brakes on the 2nd axle. The light illuminates when I tow my camper or atv trailer but I wasn't sure due to the style of brakes if it was supposed to light up or not. I have a call into my dealer and waiting to hear back.. Thanks for any insight!

**EDIT the trailer lights all work as designed.**

Looking for insight from those who own a 2020 or newer Chevy or GMC truck mostly... I have a brand new 222S and took it out for the 1st trip and I noticed that my factory trailer brake control doesn't illuminate when the boat trailer is plugged in to the truck. The truck is a 2020 Silverado 1500 Z71. We did opt in to have the dealer install brakes on the 2nd axle. The light illuminates when I tow my camper or atv trailer but I wasn't sure due to the style of brakes if it was supposed to light up or not. I have a call into my dealer and waiting to hear back.. Thanks for any insight!

**EDIT the trailer lights all work as designed.**
It has surge brakes so that’s probably why it’s not lighting up..?

Yeah, surge brakes don’t use a brake controller. They’re activated via the coupler of the trailer, and inertia. Your trailer plug probably has five wires. Ground, running lights, left turn, right turn, and the last wire is backup lights. That wire deactivates the trailer brakes while you’re backing up.

The trailer on my 2023 does not deactivate reverse when backing. Every other trailer I’ve had with surge brakes did however. You have to insert a key in the hitch to block it from sliding. I haven’t found it necessary to do that to launch tho.

The trailer on my 2023 does not deactivate reverse when backing. Every other trailer I’ve had with surge brakes did however. You have to insert a key in the hitch to block it from sliding. I haven’t found it necessary to do that to launch tho.
Then you should get it fixed or be sure your 5th wire is connecting. These will hardly ever activate at launch, as the trailer is going downhill. If you trying backing up a driveway, or a parking lot with a slope it will activate as it takes that pressure to compress the tongue.

For safety sake, got to a trailer shop and have them check your wiring and actuator. When setup with a 5 wire connection, no key is needed, just put your tow vehicle in reverse.

Good luck,

I really don’t think my trailer locks out automatically in reverse. At delivery my sales guy told me it didn’t. I see no solenoid in the tongue. I have had 3 previous trailers that did have auto lockout and none of them had anything that looks like the attached pic. But maybe I’m wrong.
IMG_2423 Medium.jpeg

I really don’t think my trailer locks out automatically in reverse. At delivery my sales guy told me it didn’t. I see no solenoid in the tongue. I have had 3 previous trailers that did have auto lockout and none of them had anything that looks like the attached pic. But maybe I’m wrong.
View attachment 225198
What does the electrical plug look like

Well I just learned 2 things. Ready EVERY word of all those safety stickers and don’t believe the salesman. 😃 Yes 5 pin (actually 7 but 2 aren’t used). Thanks!
Cheers
IMG_2224 Medium.jpeg

Well I just learned 2 things. Ready EVERY word of all those safety stickers and don’t believe the salesman. 😃 Yes 5 pin (actually 7 but 2 aren’t used). Thanks!
Cheers
View attachment 225219
Perfect. I swapped my previous trailer for 7 pin as well. They are just more durable.

Combine this and led lights and you never have a reason to unplug your trailer. Except to unhitch.

Last edited:
Back