• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

252 fsh taking on water.

Bjensen24

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So I’ve had the boat for going on 6 months. Most of which has been winter so not much use yet. But doesn’t matter if I’m on the water for an hour or 5 hours when I pull the boat out water just rushes out the drain for awhile. This is my fifth boat but first Yamaha jet boat. None of my past boats ever had water like this. My last one was a 2009 Larson lxi 238 and I could leave it moored for a week and might get two table spoons when I pulled it out. Now I went and purchased a brand new boat and pretty sure it would sink if I ever spent more than a day in the water. After reading other forums and putting mine through some test in the driveway. This is what I found. The access hatch in between the two clean out ports not sealed at all. The actual cover that’s screwed down in the whole compartment also not sealed at all. Even though it says to deal with silicone in the manual. Couldn’t find any leaks in my anchor locker like some others have found actually all of my compartments drained as they should. Thank god. Most troubling part is the clean outs themselves are not sealed. When I tested I installed them and plugged the drain then filled the compartment with water. Lots of air bubbles from the clean out and then water literally pouring into the hull from the cover not being sealed. Going to test it this weekend after sealing everything myself and see the difference. 632C4CD5-563A-4146-84F7-1B62E1862DE5.pngA30A87A8-AE51-408A-93D6-02EAAA0BC9A3.pngD97DD11F-1B2F-4E51-8136-BB61A01DB74F.png

Sealant around the hatch will help a lot, but you’re right about the ports. At least that water doesn’t drain into the hull but could reduce propulsion I suppose. Keep us posted.

That compartment's drain hose needs a check valve. You are getting water flowing back up the hose while in reverse, flooding the cleanout plug tray. The unsealed tray leaking into the hull is another issue.

When you filled the bilge with water did you check the hull drain plugs as well? The bilge in these boats is known to have manufacturing debris and as you drain the boat you can get some of that on the drain plug O-rings. Some owners have just had bad sealing plugs regardless of O-ring inspection.

As @zipper mentioned you will have water flood the cleanout tray area when you come off plane since there is no check valve. Add in the fact the tray is not sealed just means what doesn’t run back out the drain tube will sit on top of the cleanout plugs and flow back into your bilge. You can help mitigate some of this by throttle control but adding a check valve will ensure water only flows one direction (out of the cleanout tray area).

So to get water to stand like that for your test you had to plug the drain correct?

The access hatch between the clean out ports sort of seals with the O ring.

The panel, clean out tray, that is screwed down does indeed require silicone to seal it. But, do not put silicone under that tray between the tray and the boat, put the silicone on after that panel is screwed down or you will have a hard time getting it off later.

@zipper is correct, the source of the water is the drain that is located on the clean out tray and goes straight down to another fitting that dumps it out under the swim deck. When you slow down from speed and all that water rushes up onto the swim deck, underneath that water pressure creates a geyser under under the clean out port main hatch filling that area with water. That’s how your clean out ports get filled with water.

One of these installed in the drain hose should solve your problem. In the questions the maker states installing it in the vertical position is no problem.

There is also the T-H marine in line scupper. I bought one of these for the second bilge pump I’m installing, and am going to use the bottom part of the clean out tray drain as the output for the new bilge pump since my boat doesn’t need that drain in the first place. It seems very well built but I don’t know if you can install them in the vertical position, you’d have to call them and ask.

Since the weekend is here and you were going to go and test your sealing job, just try plugging the drain with something and see if that keeps all the water from entering in the first place. Jet Boat Pilot also makes a riser kit for the access hatch Which is supposed to help a lot with water getting around the access hatch.

Last edited:
@zipper may very well be correct but doesn’t appear to be the case for mine. Maybe I just don’t slow down that fast cause wife and little ones. So I ordered the Yamaha marine grease and put that on the clean outs. Seams to have solved the issue of water being sent into that compartment. Three days in the water and three days of trying to fish is Galveston and compartment is bone dry. Found a new issue the forward livewell well I think one of the overflow drains isn’t connected just drains into the bilge area. Will be trying to figure that out this week.

And yes when I tested I plugged the drain installed the clean outs and flooded the compartment. I know that’s where I was getting water cause there was a constant steam of air bubbles coming up from the clean outs and after any use they always had water to the top.

Back