• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

255 FSH E - Noise Level

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
On a scale of 1-10 in comparison to twin outboards, how loud are 2021 (255 FSH E). I just put a down payment on the '22 model.

Joe_C

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My 195 is a little louder than an outboard but the way the boat is designed you are literally sitting on top of the engine. The 255 doesn't have that same layout. I can't imagine the 255 being much louder and if there is a noticeable difference it would be totally offset by not having the outboards hanging off the back to fish around and or not having the swim platform just inches above the water.

at 52 I can get in and out of my boat 195 with ease. With an outboard I used to have to worry about if I went swimming if I could actually get back in the boat.

TommyB

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
On a scale of 1-10 in comparison to twin outboards, how loud are 2021 (255 FSH E). I just put a down payment on the '22 model.
oh it’s much louder. If that’s something on your list you might wanna weigh the options. I could care less about listening to music while underway so it doesn’t really bother me.

LeonPhelps

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
h it’s much louder. If that’s something on your list you might wanna weigh the options. I could care less about listening to music while underway so it doesn’t really bother me.
Agreed, even with the radio volume at 75% I can barely hear it.

Zeusmotorworks

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I thought my 210 was extremely loud and buzzy til I installed the seadek. Made a huge difference!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Here are two test charts, both are from Boat Test. The first is for the 2021 255 FSH Sport E, the recorded sound levels in DB are on the right.

67946E51-84F5-4F42-B960-849A186C211D.png

This second chart is their test on a Grady White with twin 300’s.

FE5F4DF1-11DD-4D31-A521-CD3EDF5EA8D3.png

As you can see the 255 FSH is 2.4 DB louder than the Grady White at 6000 rpm.

FYI, an increase of 3 DB is a perceived doubling of sound level.

While I do not have a 255 FSH, I do have a 210 FSH and the test sheet is below.

7F167FBF-46A7-4A8F-B6E5-07DD303E7AA3.jpeg

At 7500 rpm my boat is at 97 DB, most of that noise is in the form of wind noise.

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
"Twin Outboards" is a little open ended... Size? 2 stroke or 4 stroke? A 25ft center console similar to the 255FSH would likely have twin 150s at most. Most 25ft center consoles that would compare to the 255FSH in price/size range will either have just 1-250hp outboard or at most a 300. Significantly quieter.

I appreciate the analysis by @FSH 210 Sport, they took a good swipe at it and did provide data to compare a 255 to something with twin outboards, but to compare a Grady 325 with twin 300's to a 255FSH both running at 6000rpm is more than a little misleading and not even apples to oranges in MY opinion. Grady is probably over $400K and 12000lbs of boat running 48mph at 6000rpm wide open. The Yamaha 255FSH is $80K and 6000lb running 42mph, just slightly above optimal cruising at 6000rpm AND the Grady is still quieter. The 255FSH will be at 6000rpm more often and for a lot longer than that Grady ever will (if ever).

@Saltwater Runner If noise is an issue for you, you may want to consider a test drive....This coming from a previous Yamaha owner that has noise issues and got a boat with a Yamaha 300 outboard to solve those issues. Still play my music just don't have to crank it nearly as loud. ;)

Tailwaters

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
My biggest complaint by far us the noise level. When we pull up next to someone and they want to talk I always tell them, let me shut these diesels down. It's now become the big joke, I was on some friends new boat the other day and my wife even made mention how quiet their boat was. I was hoping she was going to say, maybe we should go back to an OB. But no way she will not give up the swim platform 😀

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Came across this review of the Everglades 273CC today and was looking at the noise levels on that boat with it’s twin 250 Yamaha outboards. At 42 mph the Yamaha’s 97db is twice as loud as the Everglades 94 dB.

1BC63C2F-B3FA-44BE-89DE-5E3BD6AFEC8E.png

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
"Twin Outboards" is a little open ended... Size? 2 stroke or 4 stroke? A 25ft center console similar to the 255FSH would likely have twin 150s at most. Most 25ft center consoles that would compare to the 255FSH in price/size range will either have just 1-250hp outboard or at most a 300. Significantly quieter.

I appreciate the analysis by @FSH 210 Sport, they took a good swipe at it and did provide data to compare a 255 to something with twin outboards, but to compare a Grady 325 with twin 300's to a 255FSH both running at 6000rpm is more than a little misleading and not even apples to oranges in MY opinion. Grady is probably over $400K and 12000lbs of boat running 48mph at 6000rpm wide open. The Yamaha 255FSH is $80K and 6000lb running 42mph, just slightly above optimal cruising at 6000rpm AND the Grady is still quieter. The 255FSH will be at 6000rpm more often and for a lot longer than that Grady ever will (if ever).

@Saltwater Runner If noise is an issue for you, you may want to consider a test drive....This coming from a previous Yamaha owner that has noise issues and got a boat with a Yamaha 300 outboard to solve those issues. Still play my music just don't have to crank it nearly as loud. ;)
Respectfully submitted.

Sound is sound… db’s don’t care about pricing or features..

Joe_C

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
A quiet OB boat that I can't get in from swimming doesn't do me any good.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Came across this review of the Everglades 273CC today and was looking at the noise levels on that boat with it’s twin 250 Yamaha outboards. At 42 mph the Yamaha’s 97db is twice as loud as the Everglades 94 dB.

View attachment 158662
I was looking at that same boat today. Came in an email from BoatTest.com I liked a lot about it, except for the price tag of $199,000. I really want a center console and I keep dropping hints to the admiral, and she is wearing down. But at the prices for a decent 25' circa center console, the Yamaha is still more reasonable.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I was looking at that same boat today. Came in an email from BoatTest.com I liked a lot about it, except for the price tag of $199,000. I really want a center console and I keep dropping hints to the admiral, and she is wearing down. But at the prices for a decent 25' circa center console, the Yamaha is still more reasonable.
I think that Everglades is a reeely nice boat, and reeeely nice things cost a lot. The 252/255 FSH price point is super fantastic.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
A quiet OB boat that I can't get in from swimming doesn't do me any good.
Copy that! Was just posting on the sound level of the OP. For me, the Yamaha still does a lot more, including the big swim platform, not only do I swim off my boat but the swim deck is usually where I land all of my fish.

bulldog2009

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
you and I are in the same boat. I want a CC too. Have read a ton of articles on the best MFG out there. One CC Mfg you might want to look at is Aquasport. They are pretty reasonable.....Yamaha is still the best deal by far. My buddy just bought an Edgewater for 100K. Took him 6 months to find a used one. Prices are crazy out there right now.

bulldog2009

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I think that Everglades is a reeely nice boat, and reeeely nice things cost a lot. The 252/255 FSH price point is super fantastic.
absolutely love the World Cat boats but man are they pricey. every CC boat I like has a price tag of over 200K