• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

?? 255 FSH trolling motor install?

Loveair

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
PWC
Has anyone installed trolling motor on the starboard side? Getting set to start ordering parts.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Has anyone installed trolling motor on the starboard side? Getting set to start ordering parts.
I think I remember reading that the fiberglass is significantly thinner on the starboard side than the port side… sorry I can’t remember who posted that. Most everyone has put them on the port side.

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have mine on the starboard side, because I dock against the port side 99% of the time.

On my 255 FSH, the starboard gunwale where the mount goes seems like the same thickness as the port gunwale. Regardless, it's a sandwich of materials — fiberglass top, something foam-like in the center, and fiberglass bottom — that's better buttressed and stronger than any mount that I would want to bolt there.

PXL_20220505_001000424.jpg

Last edited:

Loveair

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
PWC
I have mine on the starboard side, because I dock against the port side 99% of the time.

On my 255 FSH, the starboard gunwale where the mount goes seems like the same thickness as the port gunwale. Regardless, it's a sandwich of materials — fiberglass top, something foam-like in the center, and fiberglass bottom — that's better buttressed and stronger than any mount that I would want to bolt there.

View attachment 190201
Nice! Thanks for the info and picture.

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Nice! Thanks for the info and picture.
No prob. The biggest issue you're going to run into is that there's no wiring channel on the starboard side of the helm-locker tub (where you'll mostly likely place your trolling batteries). Therefore, you'll have to either drill holes in the tub to wire your trolling motor, or route your wires through the port channel, past the anchor locker, and to the starboard side.

If you choose the latter solution (like I did), the good news is that Yamaha installed tie-down mounts on the underside of the gunwale along the whole route — even in the anchor locker — so that the wiring can be mounted securely and out of the way.

Loveair

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
PWC
No prob. The biggest issue you're going to run into is that there's no wiring channel on the starboard side of the helm-locker tub (where you'll mostly likely place your trolling batteries). Therefore, you'll have to either drill holes in the tub to wire your trolling motor, or route your wires through the port channel, past the anchor locker, and to the starboard side.

If you choose the latter solution (like I did), the good news is that Yamaha installed tie-down mounts on the underside of the gunwale along the whole route — even in the anchor locker — so that the wiring can be mounted securely and out of the way.
Good info. I plan on placing the battery inside the center console.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I think I remember reading that the fiberglass is significantly thinner on the starboard side than the port side… sorry I can’t remember who posted that. Most everyone has put them on the port side.
That is correct I saw that post too with picture when he drilled both side, I just couldn't find it. @MilesPrower just FYI My port side gunnel doesn't have foam insert the entire thickness, all laminated wood but I have 190 so not sure if its any different.

Scott N

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

View attachment 190201
@MilesPrower, is your trolling motor a 72”, and if so, how is it working for you? I will be ordering soon, and I want to ensure I get one that can handle inshore and offshore. Thanks

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@MilesPrower, is your trolling motor a 72”, and if so, how is it working for you? I will be ordering soon, and I want to ensure I get one that can handle inshore and offshore. Thanks
I have a Motorguide Xi5-105sw 72"-36v-105lbs.

It works fine both inshore and in the Gulf — even in 2 ft waves. In the waves are greater than 2 ft height, I'm neither trolling nor holding position — too uncomfortable for fishing!

Naut Krazy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

View attachment 190201
Can you post a link to the RAM mount?