• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

3 Year Time Capsule....

M@D-M@X

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi everyone,
I've owned a 07' AR230HO since new. Unfortunately due to life changes & Covid, the boat literally sat covered for just over 3 years and I know some of you are going to flip.. Last week I started a plan to get her back in the water and back in shape. Although this boat has always been in the ocean, I always tried my best to keep her in shape with corrosion control and thorough flushings. My biggest worry was obviously the 3 year old fuel. The boat was always fed 87 pump gas, since Rec.90 was not readily available but I did treat every fueling with Sta-Bil (marine). At the gas cap the fuel still smelled like gas and not like turpentine or varnish. I figured since I've always used synthetic oils and always replaced the plugs and the gas doesn't seem to be that bad, I decided to give it a whirl and start her up.
With a new battery, she only clicked wihout turning the first try, then after roughly 30 seconds on the starter and to my surprise both engines crancked.. Initially it was a rough idle lasting about 15 seconds, then smoothing itself down to a normal idle. A mechanic/friend told me to look for pinging, in which case means that the fuel was badly degraded and would need to be replaced.
After this initial event, both engines instantly turn on and idle smoothly. I ran them about 5 mins each, trying not to rev them high since I'm still waiting on the plugs, oil & filters to arrive. There's a possibility that I haven't made it past the storm unscathed but as of this moment I'm truly impressed on the outcome so far and the reliability of the Yamaha MR1 engines and maybe something about Sta-Bil as well ?
I'm open for suggestions and obviously criticism but more importantly tips on several upgrades and replacement of items in need.
As of now the upholstery might hold up to 2 more seasons, I'll need to replace the helm's rocker switches, since they're faded. I've contacted SeaDeck for some info and also looking into the possibilities of getting the Reverse Thrusters kit.

Last edited:
how much fuel was sitting for 3 years, a full tank ??

I might have tried to pull the fuel line and pump the tank dry and then fill with new gas, I might have even pulled the spark plugs and squirt some fogging oil in just to help lubricate the tops on the first couple of strokes,

since you've already got it running I'd dump A BUNCH of seafoam product in it,

I'd also be careful about moisture/water in the tank, I'd get it back to a full tank to help dilute the old stuff asap,

Sounds like you are fine.. you treated the fuel before you put it up, and most of the stabilizers will make a claim of keeping fuel fresh for two years. If the tank was full when you put it away that helped your situation even more. You might dump in a bottle of fuel system water remover as per @Scottintexas suggested being concerned about water in the fuel. The fact that the gas smells like gas is a very good sign.

With a new battery, she only clicked wihout turning the first try, then after roughly 30 seconds on the starter and to my surprise both engines crancked.. Did both engines do this or only one? So are you saying that you had to engage the starter motor for 30 seconds on each engine before it fired?

Changing the oil and filters is a good plan as well.

how much fuel was sitting for 3 years, a full tank ??
The tank is about 80% to 90% filled.

since you've already got it running I'd dump A BUNCH of seafoam product in it,
I'm not familiar with Seafoam, nor know what it does. Is this a fuel stabilizer/additive?

I'd also be careful about moisture/water in the tank, I'd get it back to a full tank to help dilute the old stuff asap,
From what I understood water is heavier than gasoline, in which case whatever water (if any) should sit @ the bottom. I also thought that the fuel pumps' pick up are @ the bottom as well. So in theory the water was sucked by the fuel system.
I could be wrong..

Did both engines do this or only one? So are you saying that you had to engage the starter motor for 30 seconds on each engine before it fired?
Both engines were started/cycled individually with identical results.
Yes! For both engines, the starter had to be engaged for about 30 seconds, until the motors ran.

To dump out 45 gallons of fuel, is a PITA and although many will disagree with the path I took (using the old fuel), I think it should be ok, from the fact that they're now cranking instantly and idling smooth.

Scottintexas recommended SeaFoam but, I'm not familiar with this product. I was going to search on a product that would improve the degraded fuel conditions.

I have 30 gallon auxilliary fuel tank in my TT RV. I forgot about it for 3 years but like you I also added stabil. I was able to use it for my lawn equipment, but I would combine it with fresh fuel ie 75% old 25% new (suggested by @FSH 210 Sport ). I would recommend to fill it up asap and you should be good to go.

So I looked into Sea-Foam and from seeing their products, they basically have fuel preservatives & cleaners for both regular & marine use and also a fuel injection cleaner specific.

What do you guys recommend, I use that would benefit my situation best?

Go out and run your boat. Be mindful for pinging as your mechanic friend suggested.

Burn off as much of that fuel as you can, but don’t refill the tank. Go buy enough Techron Marine injector cleaner for the fill up, When you are headed out next time and are going to get fuel add the Techron and fill your tank with non ethanol fuel if you can find it, if not the ethanol type but add Star Tron or Sta-Bil too. Then go out for the day and burn that whole tank of fuel again, I know it’s tough work but I’m sure you can handle it. Refill the tank on the way home. Go forth and have fun after that.

Drain that crap and put in fresh, special if it's old ethanol .

Sea foam is good stuff for cleaning. I would also get enough star tron enzyme treatment for a couple tanks of gas. It’s designed to attract the water and burn it off.

The tank is about 80% to 90% filled.

I'm not familiar with Seafoam, nor know what it does. Is this a fuel stabilizer/additive?

From what I understood water is heavier than gasoline, in which case whatever water (if any) should sit @ the bottom. I also thought that the fuel pumps' pick up are @ the bottom as well. So in theory the water was sucked by the fuel system.
I could be wrong..

That is true, but, water bonds instantly with alcohol, or in this instance ethanol. And it will move through the fuel system until the alcohol gets saturated and falls out of suspension, that is known as phase separation and what Star Tron helps to prevent. Having said that, there is a basic problem with having ethanol in marine fuel. That’s why non ethanol fuel keeps that issue from happening. I look at it this way, there are those who use ethanol laced fuel in there boats who have had issues and those are going to unless they are religious about treating their fuel.

That is true, but, water bonds instantly with alcohol, or in this instance ethanol. And it will move through the fuel system until the alcohol gets saturated and falls out of suspension, that is known as phase separation and what Star Tron helps to prevent. Having said that, there is a basic problem with having ethanol in marine fuel. That’s why non ethanol fuel keeps that issue from happening. I look at it this way, there are those who use ethanol laced fuel in there boats who have had issues and those are going to unless they are religious about treating their fuel.
Trust me... Lesson learned.
I used additives religiously on all regular fuel fill ups. Rec.90 was hard to find. Fortunately a couple of years ago a nearby fuel station near my home, began carrying Rec.90 which will be the fuel I'll start using.

Trust me... Lesson learned.
I used additives religiously on all regular fuel fill ups. Rec.90 was hard to find. Fortunately a couple of years ago a nearby fuel station near my home, began carrying Rec.90 which will be the fuel I'll start using.

Experience; Noun- definition- is what you get what when you don’t get what you want.

Back