• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

additional fuel capacity?

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
since the 195 is a gas guzzler and I want to venture out further away from the dock... has anyone thought about adding a gravity fed gas tank in the port side rear storage?

about 10-20 gallon I would say, but I can't seem to find anything that has a fitting on top and the bottom of the tank...

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I would probably advise against it, as its a potential safety issue.

The Coast Guard requirements for a gasoline engine note: 33 CFR § 183.518 - Fuel tank openings - Each opening into the fuel tank must be at or above the topmost surface of the tank.

I think you would be better off with a couple of storage containers on the swim deck for those trips where you might need the extended range.

Jim

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
since the 195 is a gas guzzler and I want to venture out further away from the dock... has anyone thought about adding a gravity fed gas tank in the port side rear storage?
I wouldn't want to mess with something like that unless you know what you're doing with fuel lines, etc.
about 10-20 gallon I would say, but I can't seem to find anything that has a fitting on top and the bottom of the tank...
How about a few 5 gal jugs in the ski locker?

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
It seems simple. buy a hose thats rated to carry gasoline, hook up to the container so when i pump it goes into the 'aux' tank then by gravity flow into the existing tank... just need a container that has a port on top and bottom ...

I don't want to fill "two" tanks <---lazy

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
IMHO you need to use USCG approved fuel jugs, or an on deck fuel tank, like those made by Moeller. All fuel tanks must pull the fuel out from the top, that is a basic safety feature so when the fitting fails the gas just doesn’t run out and fill your bilge up with fuel.

While my boat is different than yours, here is the set up that I came up with, with the help of @Liveto99 That is a USCG approved Moeller 22 gallon tank for a Boston Whaler Montauk. I got some double sided valve shut off quick disconnects with viton O rings to connect and isolate the fuel tank from the Summit racing fuel pump. When I need to transfer fuel, I hook up the lines from the tank to the fuel pump and then to the main gas tank. The fuel pump, is right at 1 gal per minute, so it takes 22 mins to transfer the whole tank. When I’m done I unhook the lines and there is no spillage what so ever.

A1C5B6F3-94DD-43CB-A76E-08023D7B5594.jpeg09CF4BAF-8409-473C-973F-DDB99E6B7E25.jpeg

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks @HangOutdoors for the like that pushed me into the Mega likes with 1500 likes! And of course thanks to everyone else.

bubbasuwannee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
IMHO you need to use USCG approved fuel jugs, or an on deck fuel tank, like those made by Moeller. All fuel tanks must pull the fuel out from the top, that is a basic safety feature so when the fitting fails the gas just doesn’t run out and fill your bilge up with fuel.

While my boat is different than yours, here is the set up that I came up with, with the help of @Liveto99 That is a USCG approved Moeller 22 gallon tank for a Boston Whaler Montauk. I got some double sided valve shut off quick disconnects with viton O rings to connect and isolate the fuel tank from the Summit racing fuel pump. When I need to transfer fuel, I hook up the lines from the tank to the fuel pump and then to the main gas tank. The fuel pump, is right at 1 gal per minute, so it takes 22 mins to transfer the whole tank. When I’m done I unhook the lines and there is no spillage what so ever.

View attachment 170188View attachment 170189
I saw your set up before...super nice! I plan to do something similar to this sometime down the road if I find myself needing more fuel on my FSH 195.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Before I had that Montauk tank. Going to the marquesas. When I filled up and was leaving Key West. So after I dumped the green tank in I would fill the green tank from the red tanks and then fill the boat from the green tank that way there was no spillage the red tanks sucked trying to get them into the boat.56FD1D9A-9856-47BC-ABFF-072D0A9B7A1D.png

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I still REALLY want someone to make a Rotopax adapter for a wake tower. Hang a couple of these off the base of the tower.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
.....Going to the marquesas.......
Google shows these out in the south Pacific. Quite the haul from Key West. Surely I've googled something wrong. Where are these islands you're heading to from Key West?

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Google shows these out in the south Pacific. Quite the haul from Key West. Surely I've googled something wrong. Where are these islands you're heading to from Key West?
I believe he means due west from Key West is a group of keys:

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
since the 195 is a gas guzzler
I wouldn't say it's a pig...fuel consumption rates are similar to my twin engine model with similar performance and speed rates. You should be able to hit 3.0 MPG when cruising.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I believe he means due west from Key West is a group of keys:

Thank you! About 35 miles out from Key West between Key West and the dry Tortugas. Most of the time there’s no one else there one of the most beautiful places on earth.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

MattW

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I know this is an old post, but that moeller 22 is a PERFECT FIT on the fsh 210. I go to the keys for lobster season, but I want to expand and go diving in the Marquesas, just haven't gotten the nerve to do it solo, without a little local help, or following someone who's been there a time or two. loved your ideas on that fuel tank, thanks.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I was looking at my set up again yesterday…all that I would need to do is extend the OEM foot rest out an inch minimum towards the helm and the 22 gallon Moeller will slide forward enough to allow an additional 14 gallon epa approved deck tank to go between the 22 gallon tank and the transom ridge. Now that would be some serious range / reserve fuel for a longer journey.

I really need to get my TIG welder set up so I can make that happen.

I put the OEM cooler on the helm pad and it makes a great foot rest for longer cruising. If it gets rough I move it forward and lash it down.