• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Advice please...

Gfrank

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
NA
What's the best way to prevent zebra/Quagga mussels attaching to my boat and the hard to clean areas?

Keeping it clean and waxed maybe? I thought most places may have a wash down station before and after you’re on the water. Either way, a quick rinse or power wash should blow them off after you get off the water.

Thanks for the advice. I think draining and washing the bilge and ballast bags is effective too at preventing them from what I've read...

I was at Lake Powell late last summer and had the same worries, mainly I did not want to bring those little buggers back to my home lakes.

The biggest thing is not having your boat in the water for more than a week at a time. I don’t know your situation but if you can pull your boat each day and drain it that will help a lot towards your goal of keeping them off your boat. Once you are done in those waters, or if you are going to be boating in those waters regularly, removing all the stuff in your boat where lake water could get to and pressure wash it.

To properly kill off the veligers / larvae you need 140* water for 10 seconds, or 120* for several minutes. The new decon station at Wahweap at Lake Powell has a big tank you back your boat and trailer into, that water is 120* and the boat is run for 5 minutes I believe and for wake boats all ballast tanks are filled then drained.

When I returned home from LP, I turned up my water heater temp to 150*, then just used the spray nozzle on the end of those hose to wash out the entire boat. I filled the bilge with this 150* water and let it sit for a bit before actuating the bilge pump to evacuate part of that water. I also flushed the engines with that same 150* water to make sure non of them were in the cooling system.

Thank you all for the detailed advice! Much appreciated

They have been in Lake Champlain for Years. Boating is limited to about 6 months here. 5 months in a slip will grow mussels. I have cleaned them off the jet pumps at the end of the season using Starbrite Hull Cleaner and a stiff brush. The combo releases them quickly.

20181011_093041.jpg

20181011_093302.jpg

20181011_094556.jpg

This is a "Coming in too Hot" fender that touches the water at our slip for the Beneteau after 5 months in place.

20211015_134809.jpg

20211015_144255.jpg

All you really have to do is let the boat dry out. Let it sit for a week is usually enough in our climate. We used to be on an infested lake regularly, Texoma, and if we were going to a different lake that isn't then we'd be sure to be out of Texoma waters for at least 2 weeks. Now we don't have ballast bags to deal with but I would think maybe flushing the bags with diluted bleach water or something. As long as you kill the suckers you're not gonna spread them.

Back