• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Amazing how bad Salt is for the engines!

Farny

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Saw this video while learning more about these engines. Wow look at that salt. He also does a good run through of the entire engine

No doubt salt definitely adds challenges, but I'm wondering how well the owner flushed the engine after each run and if he used Salt-Away or Salt-Off regularly as well.

Last edited:
No doubt salt definitely adds challenges, But I'm wondering how well the owner flushed the engine after each run and if he used Salt-Away or Salt-Off regularly as well.
Bet it wasn’t cared for properly at all

I only run in salt I add zinc to the pump I rinse the engines with car wash soap that has wax in it to coat the water jackets inside and no issues so far in the past 2 decades

B53D4C7C-F9DF-4375-8B4F-D960070AEE5A.jpegCCA07BF5-5BBC-43D8-AA7E-69E1F4C7AD6B.jpegThese are pictures of the water jackets in an engine that I am in the process of replacing at the moment. I already did an acid flush on this so you can imagine how bad it was before that.

Is there anything that I can run through my jet ski to really clean out the salt. It randomly over heats. Something really strong

Is there anything that I can run through my jet ski to really clean out the salt. It randomly over heats. Something really strong

There is a thread floating around here of a guy creating a closer loop flush system and flushing the shit of the engines for like 4 hours. He had really good results.

In addition to @CrankyGypsy ‘s thread, there is a clean out procedure that salt away has in their instruction.

Here’s the heavy accumulation instruction; PDF.js viewer

Heres their instructions page; PDF.js viewer

Interesting read. I only use in salt water and religiously use salt away after every outing. Haven’t notice a decrease in performance since buying the boat new. Then again, I also religiously follow the owners manual and perform all required maintenance.

I was going to try and clean out the water jackets to see if I could save this engine until I realized one of the cylinders was rusted bad. I took two good size pieces of the substance in the water jackets and put them in plastics cups, one had salt-away in it and the other CLR. I let them sit overnight, neither one was completely dissolved but the cup with salt-away was more so then the one in the CLR.

Back