• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anybody else get griped at in No Wake Mode?

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I know one of the members here got a ticket for having too much wake in his no wake mode, but has anybody else gotten griped at or gotten the stink eye from non-jet boaters? Our canal is NWM until you get to the bay, I was maintaining as such on my way back in and some guy sitting on his boat that was slipped along the canal started grumbling and gesturing at me when we passed, took me a sec to realize that was what he was complaining about lol.

I normally just operate at the first notch out of neutral and go. It does create some consistent surface movement, but not very high except for the turbulent water the first foot or 2 behind the jets. TBH sometimes I feel like our low RPM creates less wake than NWM.

Just gave him a wave and kept going. I’m sure I’ll see him again though, not like I can take another route lol.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ve been snipped at by owners of boats in slips and house boats while in the highest no waKe setting but I think Most if not all of the guys I Have run into sound the alarm to quickly for everybody but themselves.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The speed and the wake of the Yamaha's highest no wake mode, especially the twins, is faster and creates more wake than many people would believe to be no wake around docks. What No Wake means is moving at the slowest speed possible while still maintaining steerage. It is actually not defined by wake size, but depends on your boat characteristics and environmental conditions. If there is a wind or current, you will need to go faster to maintain steerage. The Yamaha no wake mode is misleading as the speed in the higher settings could be excessive in calm conditions. On the other hand, a pre Keel boat with no fins may need the additional speed to maintain control.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What No Wake means is moving at the slowest speed possible while still maintaining steerage.
This. I've also been PASSED by multiple boats in no-wake zones on the river, and I thought I was going a bit faster than I needed. Usually, it's the pontoon driver with a 300hp motor and multiple people on board, headed to the same place I am, and I end up crossing paths with them several times, since the river has multiple wide-open areas where I catch up to them and pass them, only to have them creating a wake as they pass me again. There's no way they're unable to steer if they dropped their speeds, I just think they believe they're fine as long as there's no law enforcement around.

Given that I have the keel, the Yamaha lateral thrusters, and fins, I don't have a problem maintaining steerage, but I can see a jet that wasn't as well-outfitted having issues and needing to maintain a higher speed to be able to steer.

jjmparsons

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Unfortunately for us I believe its been on a "how's he feeling today" type rotational basis. The state patrol guy generally sits right in the middle of the through way into our marina and with NWM engaged we have strolled past many a time and sometimes he will give us the slow down gesture and other times he just waves. To date he has given me one written warning but I think that was due to the fact some moron on the bank was losing his mind on our NWM level 3 light speed trip into the marina. I kindly waved to said moron but the statey hit the lights and we pulled over to his boat/ tied off and had a discussion. Actually ended up talking for 15 minutes about time in military and other issues around the marina. Unfortunately its something thats just subject to EVERYONES discretion and feelings at the time. We are very cognizant of how we come into the marina and just like you experienced, theres always going to be that one guy who gets his feelings hurt over it.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ya, AFAIK I’m on my lowest setting on the throttle (unless I try to barely bump it out of neutral I suppose). NWM for me is either sitting still or slow creep in first detent, no AK or fancy screen lol. Interesting about you guys’ stories with LEO, down here I’ve only seen SO/FWC out on weekends patrolling the party spots to make sure everything is under control.

wTheOnew

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ve been snipped at by owners of boats in slips and house boats while in the highest no waKe setting...
I 've been yelled at by house boaters at the lowest no wake setting. I think just existing as a power boat is too fast for some people.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Chain O Lakes in Waupaca has four lakes that allow speed that are interconnected by a dozen no-wake lakes. In order to get to one lake to board, you have to pass through another lake that's no-wake. I'm usually in NWM 1 or 2, still get the stink eye. I think people assume and hate on boats that look nice / have towers / external speaker pods. Which is fine, because I hate on pretentious a**holes with pontoons and kayaks. May they all get swimmers itch in their d**k holes.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The speed and the wake of the Yamaha's highest no wake mode, especially the twins, is faster and creates more wake than many people would believe to be no wake around docks. What No Wake means is moving at the slowest speed possible while still maintaining steerage. It is actually not defined by wake size, but depends on your boat characteristics and environmental conditions. If there is a wind or current, you will need to go faster to maintain steerage. The Yamaha no wake mode is misleading as the speed in the higher settings could be excessive in calm conditions. On the other hand, a pre Keel boat with no fins may need the additional speed to maintain control.
Actually No Wake is defined in numerous ways depending on the body of water and authority. Here is one jurisdictional definition.....boats and personal watercraft must operate at a slow headway speed that does not create a wake or swell. If you make a wake or swell in a no wake area you can get a ticket. The assumption is that all boats need to be able to operate and have safe steering without creating a wake or swell. Whether or not a particular boat can actually do this by design is irrelevant.

Last edited:

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
It's the combination of speed and wake. A jetski produces less wake when on plane than my boat at "no wake" speed. I agree with @mwalker4, on still maintaining control. The conditions change and so should your speed.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I put the throttle into the first detent and press up 2 times. Gets both engines to 1900-2000 RPM and to me, that’s fine. I haven’t been yelled at yet. I’ve seen plenty of other boats barrel thru no wake zones like they could care less.

ctyke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where I boat, the sheriff department issues no wake during high water (lots of rain). They define it as ""No Wake" is defined as operation of the watercraft at the slowest speed possible to maintain steerage, but in no case greater than 5 MPH." I set mine at 5 MPH and go about my merry way, getting passed by mostly fishing boats.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I used to griped at when going through the marina in no wake mode when we first got our boat in '06. There weren't that many of them around so people didn't realize that it was a jet. Mine only has one no wake speed and I've never had fins so I have to be in no wake to have much control. I too get passed by pontoons as well as some large cabin cruisers and they all create more wake then me except for maybe right behind the boat, especially if my kids are both sitting in the bow.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’m the guy who got the citation. That day boats were passing me up but my boat gives the appearance of creating a wake. But it’s not a wake. It’s churning white water. I’m making a video for my Sept.4 court date. In the video I’ll demonstrate this and show how other boats pass me on by while in all three levels of that mode. Will probably try to film with the police present somehow without get another ticket.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I'm confused - at No Wake maxed out and in forward (not forward neutral) - I have pretty much zero wake.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm confused - at No Wake maxed out and in forward (not forward neutral) - I have pretty much zero wake.
Just to make sure we’re talking about the same throttle position. The NWM cancels out after going beyond the first indent out of neutral.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I agree. By definition a wake is any turbulant disturbance of the surface of water that creates an outward ripple or wave. But most people consider a wake to be a wave that would disturb other floating objects like boats and docks. So in all of the No Wake modes, my boat doesn't produce any substantial wake compared to my old stern drive that created more of a wake wave at half the speed. My boat does produce a lot of jetwash turbulance though. I can see how some people would think the jetwash looks like you're going too fast as it's quite turbulant and creates a lot of white water immediately behind the boat.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Just to make sure we’re talking about the same throttle position. The NWM cancels out after going beyond the first indent out of neutral.
Maybe I am confused but pretty sure mine does not. In either instance, my max speed 5-6mph in no wake mode creates next to nothing.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I put the throttle into the first detent and press up 2 times.
The first detent is not fully open buckets so you're restricting the jet flow and using more fuel. Try moving the throttles to fully open which is just before the throttles increase rpm. Then tap the No Wake mode and watch your speed increase. In the 3rd position I'm moving about 5-6mph which is the posted no wake speeds around here - 10kph or 6mph. At those speeds, my boat doesn't produce any substantial waves, just lots of jetwash.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The first detent is not fully open buckets so you're restricting the jet flow and using more fuel. Try moving the throttles to fully open which is just before the throttles increase rpm. Then tap the No Wake mode and watch your speed increase. In the 3rd position I'm moving about 5-6mph which is the posted no wake speeds around here - 10kph or 6mph. At those speeds, my boat doesn't produce any substantial waves, just lots of jetwash.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Gotta bump it a hair past the detent to open the buckets and that's what I do.