• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anybody else get griped at in No Wake Mode?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Read the statute because most have a clause that allows you to operate at a speed sufficient to maintain steerage.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@sunbyrned what was the result of the court date?!
This is what I posted in my original thread a few weeks ago. Thanks for asking.

Been off this forum way too long. Glad to be back though to give an update. I pleaded not guilty at the Sept. 4 court date and so I had to return on Dec. 10 to defend my position. I sat in the virtual court room for an hour before they finally got to my case. During that hour was another boating citation in the same lake. They received a DUI but the County Attorney recommended dismissing it because that person wasn't even in the boat. (Not sure how that works.) The judge dismissed that case. I thought that was a good sign because it seemingly discredits the officers. Yep, sure enough, mine was dismissed as well. I didn't even get to defend myself. I was really prepared though for my defense (videos, owner's manuals, etc.) and many of you gave me some things to consider. Thank you! Yes, it would have been easier just to pay the fine, but why plead guilty if you're innocent. I hope maybe this will help someone else down the road.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is what I posted in my original thread a few weeks ago. Thanks for asking.

Been off this forum way too long. Glad to be back though to give an update. I pleaded not guilty at the Sept. 4 court date and so I had to return on Dec. 10 to defend my position. I sat in the virtual court room for an hour before they finally got to my case. During that hour was another boating citation in the same lake. They received a DUI but the County Attorney recommended dismissing it because that person wasn't even in the boat. (Not sure how that works.) The judge dismissed that case. I thought that was a good sign because it seemingly discredits the officers. Yep, sure enough, mine was dismissed as well. I didn't even get to defend myself. I was really prepared though for my defense (videos, owner's manuals, etc.) and many of you gave me some things to consider. Thank you! Yes, it would have been easier just to pay the fine, but why plead guilty if you're innocent. I hope maybe this will help someone else down the road.
Glad to hear this worked out for you. Sorry we didn't hook up to get that video, although sounds like you didn't need it in the end anyway.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Glad to hear this worked out for you. Sorry we didn't hook up to get that video, although sounds like you didn't need it in the end anyway.
ThanksI I made a video that was pretty informative but the one on the Yamaha DVD that came with the boat was even better, so I was prepared with that one. Unfortunately (or fortunately), I didn't have to show it. Hope to see you this summer!

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
no wake as define by the law is min speed at which still able to maintain safe directional control.....well the speed is higher in a jet boat than any other boat, i got pull over once by a cop in a jet ski, obviously after i told him about it he agreed but it was actually my stairs that gave the appearance of creating a wake, wife left it loose

ugamarkj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I was cruising at 4mph in no-wake mode last weekend and two dudes on a house boat started screaming "no wake!" at me and waving their arms wildly. Their house boat is about a hundred yards from my dock so I told them to come over if they had a problem with my reckless behavior. If they can't handle a half inch ripple in the water, then they should probably only have a house on dry land. I wasn't really in the mood for their BS since the steering was flaking out on me and I was just hoping to make it back to my dock safely.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I was cruising at 4mph in no-wake mode last weekend and two dudes on a house boat started screaming "no wake!" at me and waving their arms wildly. Their house boat is about a hundred yards from my dock so I told them to come over if they had a problem with my reckless behavior. If they can't handle a half inch ripple in the water, then they should probably only have a house on dry land. I wasn't really in the mood for their BS since the steering was flaking out on me and I was just hoping to make it back to my dock safely.
Idiots!

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ve never understood this issue since I don’t think our boats really make that much wake even in the highest no wake mode.

Well, last time out I got screamed at by a beach full of people for going too fast. It’s no wake for a while and a boat behind me (who appeared to be friends with the screamers) kept gaining on me and was right on my ass so I bumped it up to the 2nd no wake mode to keep up and I was the only one getting yelled at.

I don’t know if it’s the bubbles or the noise or what sets people off but there is no significant wave traveling away from the boat that would cause any issue where I was. Pretty annoying.

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Most times its the noise.........the Yamaha has a low hummm at no wake that attracts their attention then the large bubble/froth trail we create sets them off. My old boat an I/O was slower in idle mode (around)2/12 mph than my SX240 at its first no wake speed but my I/O was noisy through HULL straight exhaust even with it closed going through the prop it had a vary pleasant V8 low rumble.

Last thing I have 2 houses along my 35min canal craw(no wake)to get out to the Bay, the same 2 people yell at me in my 21ft I/O at 2/12 mph and the same 2 yell at me in my Yamaha at any no wake speed I choose. SOME PEOPLE are just mad at the WORLD and it makes them feel good if they can d control what others are doing. I just wave and ignore............no speed I choose ever got the attention of water patrol.....THATS ALL THAT MATTERS.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
So many people here blatantly create huge wakes in no wakes, I don’t think anyone bats an eye at my Yamaha lol

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The problem is that there are just too many people on this planet and not enough brains available to give them out to everyone sufficiently. I had a jagoff yell at me in the channel between Fort Desoto park and shell island near the sand bar, this fool is driving a local tour pontoon boat with passengers so I would believe he should have some sort of captains license to take paying passengers. They must have skipped him in the brains dept. because he screamed at me saying I was in a no wake zone and started to lecture me about it I laughed at him because I was actually in the channel, these nitwits think the danged shallow water signs are no wake signs and to add insult to injury I was 50 feet outside of those signs in the channel. In any event the danged signs are to let people know the channel ends past the signs so big boats can avoid running aground. These signs are all along the flats from the sky way channel to the gulf of Mexico just advisory signs not regulatory signs, but they don't know the difference and they should. And they have no business yelling at any one either. The sad thing is you probably have to take an aptitude test and have the lowest score to work for that company because the last fool that ran that boat would pull in behind shell island in the very same area and then yell at anyone who entered telling them the area was a no internal combustion engine area. I corrected the language used on our signs they say motor but motors are not internal combustion , in any case I complained to the F W C about that moron. He disappeared and they replaced him with this genius. But those people also run illegal kayak tours from the causeway on D O T property that is posted all over it no vending activities. Now this is why I stay off the water on weekends and holidays. I Wonder if these people sit at a STOP sign and wait for it to say GO!

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The problem is that there are just too many people on this planet and not enough brains available to give them out to everyone sufficiently. I had a jagoff yell at me in the channel between Fort Desoto park and shell island near the sand bar, this fool is driving a local tour pontoon boat with passengers so I would believe he should have some sort of captains license to take paying passengers. They must have skipped him in the brains dept. because he screamed at me saying I was in a no wake zone and started to lecture me about it I laughed at him because I was actually in the channel, these nitwits think the danged shallow water signs are no wake signs and to add insult to injury I was 50 feet outside of those signs in the channel. In any event the danged signs are to let people know the channel ends past the signs so big boats can avoid running aground. These signs are all along the flats from the sky way channel to the gulf of Mexico just advisory signs not regulatory signs, but they don't know the difference and they should. And they have no business yelling at any one either. The sad thing is you probably have to take an aptitude test and have the lowest score to work for that company because the last fool that ran that boat would pull in behind shell island in the very same area and then yell at anyone who entered telling them the area was a no internal combustion engine area. I corrected the language used on our signs they say motor but motors are not internal combustion , in any case I complained to the F W C about that moron. He disappeared and they replaced him with this genius. But those people also run illegal kayak tours from the causeway on D O T property that is posted all over it no vending activities. Now this is why I stay off the water on weekends and holidays. I Wonder if these people sit at a STOP sign and wait for it to say GO!
Haha there’s no towing buoys in a channel at that same lake I got yelled at that generate the same confusion.

ugamarkj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I usually get the stink eye from fisherman who park in the middle of the channel and expect everyone to go to idle speed to get around them. There are plenty of coves that aren't in the middle of the channel they can fish in, but they want to park right where everyone has to travel. I just try to keep it around 25 mph to be on plane and create a smaller wake. I keep at least 50 yards away at that speed. What do you all do in these circumstances?

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I usually get the stink eye from fisherman who park in the middle of the channel and expect everyone to go to idle speed to get around them. There are plenty of coves that aren't in the middle of the channel they can fish in, but they want to park right where everyone has to travel. I just try to keep it around 25 mph to be on plane and create a smaller wake. I keep at least 50 yards away at that speed. What do you all do in these circumstances?
I used to go slow when I go by them. I got a sense that they are appreciative that I slowed down but wished that I would just move on. So now I just fly by them at a distance knowing the wake will be much less.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I just tell them I paid for an exempt license and it doesn't apply to me see my Florida registration decal, if you see one that is oval like mine it means the boat is exempt.
Because stupid people will want one and not be able to find where to get it. I always cut my decals oval shaped.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I call it the dance they make when someone is fishing and I stay 300 feet away even though I only need to stay 150 feet if they are anchored,., they just have a fit but if another boat passes by them at 50 feet they wave and smile. Nice of them to show appreciation when you go out of your way not to bother them and they get pissed that you are on the same planet they are.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I call it the dance they make when someone is fishing and I stay 300 feet away even though I only need to stay 150 feet if they are anchored,., they just have a fit but if another boat passes by them at 50 feet they wave and smile. Nice of them to show appreciation when you go out of your way not to bother them and they get pissed that you are on the same planet they are.
I know it’s not a Yamaha driver they’re waving at. They just don’t have it in them to wave at me even when I do.🤷‍♂️

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just last week I was idling thru the same channel I have cruised thru 100’s of times, past the same marina I always pass - 2 guys on the gas dock started yelling at me to slow down and yelling it’s a no wake zone. I wasn’t in “no wake” detent nothing. I was literally idling forward with the buckets open.
2 minutes later, they waived, gave me a thumbs up and said “thank you.
I NEVER touched the throttles. I didn’t move the buckets back or nothing.
I felt like pulling up and telling them so, but my wife insisted I just ignore it.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
well you need to realize they speak a different language, like the middle finger means hello and pointing a gun at you means I have your back.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Never had anyone yell, but had stinky looks a few times, usually from fishing boats floating/trolling inside a buoyed navigation channel. I think it's the bubble foam wake that makes them think I'm going too fast even though I'm going slower than most other boats and there is no wake wave from the stern. Irregardless, if I'm in the right, I just pretend I can't see or hear them and keep going.
:D