• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anybody else get griped at in No Wake Mode?

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Has anyone done a video with wake mode? With my navionics app, I have reached 4.5 mph at the 3rd WM setting. Matched my speedometer too. I have the 1.8 high output engine. Single engine AR192.

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
interesting. That’s is close to what I have experienced with a single engine With speed vs noise and handling . There has been some mention as to the angle of the jet nozzle and components that may create turbulence. so with an increase in decibel/pitch of engine noice in wake mode, non jet boaters are quick to assume a jet boater’s disregard for no wake zones. I have experienced some negative feedback around the docks. however, it was at night and the house boater was apparently drunk.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
People are people.. and their perceptions vary wildly.

Some people have boundaries and others don’t, the latter of which usually cause the most problems-I suspect these folks are narcissists, and the key thing with narcissistic people is they have lack of empathy for others. Fun fact, that lack of empathy thing is also shared with sociopaths and psychopaths.

As others have posted in this thread, there are a lot of other people that are just sucking down the hateraid by the gallon and projecting that on anyone that happens by. If you want a good example of this just go to that thread on “the hull truth” where a collection of mostly non experienced people were throwing the Yamaha jet boats under the bus and saying things that were so ridiculous it was nauseating.

I wonder how these folks rationalize the large waves created by wind and or storms rocking the boats in their slips or anchorage.

It is impossible to move an object through water without creating a disturbance. I was getting mad dogged the other day by some kayaker in a no wake zone, that, get this, was exposed to the big waves generated about 50’ from the no wake buoys by the main channel, I was in no wake 2 and the ripples were about 2” high if that.

I’m relatively new to boating and I have now seen the stereotypical behavior associated with the different types of boaters also mentioned in this thread. I’ve taken some wild rides from wake boats while attempting to get a hook out of a fish, had my trolling lines run over by other ski boats, had other fishing boats come right up close and start fishing because they saw me catch a fish-these are probably my favorite because I just move several hundred yards away and start catching more fish while they continue to be skunked, and had other fishing boats that were trolling basically cut me off instead of just moving over a bit. Also had a sail boat throw a surprise tack right in front of me while I was trolling. In the end it’s just people and most are not worth getting mad at, you just smile, wave, and say god bless you. Am I perfect? Heck no, but I do my best and apologize if I make a mistake.

But, by and large everyone is friendly and looking for a wave so they can wave back. And where I boat at if one does make a mistake and folks are looking at you, if you say I’m sorry I messed up, they are gracious and say no problem.

Joe_C

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Has anyone done a video with wake mode? With my navionics app, I have reached 4.5 mph at the 3rd WM setting. Matched my speedometer too. I have the 1.8 high output engine. Single engine AR192.
on my 195 fsh I get up to around 4.5 mph in +3 no wake at around 2300-2400 rpm. the wake is probably a little big at +3. +2 is what I use most of the time. I wish there was a +4 for trolling. The +3 is just a little slow for trolling for spanish mackerel

ugamarkj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Took a video of the the wave created at all three levels of no-wake mode. I later went past the house boat that griped at me and observed it did not even move when my level 3 wave hit it.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Took a video of the the wave created at all three levels of no-wake mode. I later went past the house boat that griped at me and observed it did not even move when my level 3 wave hit it.
I just noticed this last night... NWM on my 2020 212S was doing 5mph according to the Ride Steady device. I think we get stink eye because our boats just look fast when they're sitting, let alone at 3mph. And people are jelly.

ugamarkj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Today I got threatened by a house boat owner blowing his air horn at me. "If you don't slow down, I will slow you down". 4mph wake 2. He also said he was going to call the DNR on me. 😡

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Today I got threatened by a house boat owner blowing his air horn at me. "If you don't slow down, I will slow you down". 4mph wake 2. He also said he was going to call the DNR on me. 😡
"Sir, I am following the letter of the law, and I am going as slow as possible while still maintaining steering control. If I lose control of my boat and run into you, I'm sure you'd be unhappy with that as well. Your threat of violence against me has been noted, and will be relayed, if and when the DNR contacts me, Mr (insert boat ID number). I'm going to go on with having a nice day, I wish you the same."

ugamarkj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
This is what I deal with. They rallied the jet ski squad today because yelling obscenities at me in front of my children isn't enough. All this for no wake 2 at 4mph.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This is what I deal with. They rallied the jet ski squad today because yelling obscenities at me in front of my children isn't enough. All this for no wake 2 at 4mph.
At this point, you’re offended for the way they are treating you… I get that and understand.

Is there any authority figure available for conflict resolution? Office staff or gas dock owner whatever? Explain the issue, ask them to come for a ride and try to drive the boat. If they see the difficulties and can vouch for you that you’re doing the best you can to the slip holders maybe that would diffuse the situation.

What’s up with all that ‘move the trailer’ nonsense?

I really have no comment as to the right/wrong of the size of wave being generated. But, I would say that you’re being overly stubborn when insisting that any speed under no wake 2 is unmanageable. If that is the case, you desperately need some Cobra Ultimate fins.

I generally avoid conflict as best I can, even when I’m in the right, and would probably just idle past the dock then bump it up a bit if it would get them off my case.

Good luck! I hope you can get it sorted out. From the looks of that video, it doesn’t sound like those guys will let it drop easily.

Could you float out in the open somewhere and video other boats in no wake to see if they harass them too? And how their wakes compare to yours? Once you have some data, maybe you could catch them on land and have them explain the differences.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No wake 1or 2 don’t mean anything to someone who has no idea about your boat. You can try to explain but if someone is yelling at you they’re in no way going to want anything more than for you to slow down. We all need to remember that no wake is not based on a certain speed. The wake is affected by the speed but not a set speed due to many variables like current, direction of current in relation to direction of the vessel, wind speed, wind speed in relation to vessel, hull design of vessel, altitude, possibly water temp am I’m sure more. Our boats crest more froth behind due to the jets and I’m sure some see that as “going too fast”. My advise is to just keep calm, smile, wave and keep going as long as the law or marina doesn’t have an issue

ugamarkj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I do have video of there being no affect on the docked boats at any no-wake mode speed I can generate. I'm hyper aware of the wave being generated and always check and compare to other boats.

I'm just not going to accept being bullied and threatened into submission. They had no regard for the wave they generated chasing me down so they are completely hypocritical. They know where my cabin is. They are just singling me out because I didn't apologize in response to their screaming and yelling.

Every time I pass them I get "fuck you" screamed at me with my children on board. I honked back and waved and continued on, which is what triggered this event. One of them creeped up to my cabin one night and said "we see you". He came by again yesterday evening and tried to intimidate me and wanting to fight. My kids were crying yesterday concerned they were going to come back. I do plan to discuss this with the marina. Their behavior is a huge overreaction and unacceptable. People have no chill these days.

The reference to my boat trailer is because apparently you aren't supposed to park it on your property. I'm not alone in doing this and the marina hasn't said anything about it in the year I've been here. They even helped get my trailer one day to help me get my boat out of the water when I was having steering trouble. So he is just trying to find violations to get me kicked out. I'll gladly move it if the marina decides to enforce this rule.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I still don’t get it…. The wave at full no wake mode is almost nothing, it’s less than most boats in idle.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I do have video of there being no affect on the docked boats at any no-wake mode speed I can generate. I'm hyper aware of the wave being generated and always check and compare to other boats.

I'm just not going to accept being bullied and threatened into submission. They had no regard for the wave they generated chasing me down so they are completely hypocritical. They know where my cabin is. They are just singling me out because I didn't apologize in response to their screaming and yelling.

Every time I pass them I get "fuck you" screamed at me with my children on board. I honked back and waved and continued on, which is what triggered this event. One of them creeped up to my cabin one night and said "we see you". He came by again yesterday evening and tried to intimidate me and wanting to fight. My kids were crying yesterday concerned they were going to come back. I do plan to discuss this with the marina. Their behavior is a huge overreaction and unacceptable. People have no chill these days.

The reference to my boat trailer is because apparently you aren't supposed to park it on your property. I'm not alone in doing this and the marina hasn't said anything about it in the year I've been here. They even helped get my trailer one day to help me get my boat out of the water when I was having steering trouble. So he is just trying to find violations to get me kicked out. I'll gladly move it if the marina decides to enforce this rule.
Heck with dnr… call the marina and call the cops. That isn’t right.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The talk with the marina went well, so hopefully the harassment will stop without further escalation.
Did you ask them to report back after they speak with the other folks? I’ll be curious to hear what’s next. Hopefully, it can be deescalated.

Maybe you should host a Yamaha gathering and we can launch a whole fleet of jetboats by them. Lol

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I get the fact that people want no wake speeds, etc. I am always running very slow in No Wake zones. But it seems like more and more people want to be the Wake / Water Police because they have nothing better to do. I have had people try an tell me how to launch my boat or that I shouldn't be tubing in an area because they wanted to relax and not feel the waves.... I was several hundred yards from them, which almost wider than most lakes around here. I just thank them and move on. Whatever. If people want to go Police something, let them go run down those boaters and Jets Skier's who are flying by other boaters WAY TO DAMN CLOSE.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I get the fact that people want no wake speeds, etc. I am always running very slow in No Wake zones. But it seems like more and more people want to be the Wake / Water Police because they have nothing better to do. I have had people try an tell me how to launch my boat or that I shouldn't be tubing in an area because they wanted to relax and not feel the waves.... I was several hundred yards from them, which almost wider than most lakes around here. I just thank them and move on. Whatever. If people want to go Police something, let them go run down those boaters and Jets Skier's who are flying by other boaters WAY TO DAMN CLOSE.
I feel these people haven’t lived in a heavy traffic area where people are really breaking the rules daily.