• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Battery question concerning audio set up for a newbie

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Autozone Duralast batteries

Theres the group 31/29 flooded lead acid battery with 840CCA and 210 minutes of reserve…$129 not including the core charge

B920BC9D-AB8E-4DE0-8313-1778C37CFEBD.jpeg

There’s the AGM group 31 with 1030 cca and 200 mins of reserve for $230 not including the core charge.

B53EF1F7-A1DA-4842-B638-2214798FE5B6.jpeg

AGM batteries ( notice how similar the die hard and the Duralst look?) are a fine choice since they won’t spill per se’, but flooded batteries won’t either if they are properly secured. And in this case the flooded battery actually has slightly more reserve minutes for almost half the price.

Either battery will work fine I’m sure. If it was me I’d go with the flooded battery because I can maintain it better than the AGM battery by running the occasional equalizing charge and being able to check / monitor the specific gravity of each cell.

Jmesduncan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Autozone Duralast batteries

Theres the group 31/29 flooded lead acid battery with 840CCA and 210 minutes of reserve…$129 not including the core charge

View attachment 191943

There’s the AGM group 31 with 1030 cca and 200 mins of reserve for $230 not including the core charge.

View attachment 191944

AGM batteries ( notice how similar the die hard and the Duralst look?) are a fine choice since they won’t spill per se’, but flooded batteries won’t either if they are properly secured. And in this case the flooded battery actually has slightly more reserve minutes for almost half the price.

Either battery will work fine I’m sure. If it was me I’d go with the flooded battery because I can maintain it better than the AGM battery by running the occasional equalizing charge and being able to check / monitor the specific gravity of each cell.
well that’s awesome news. That’s a lot cheaper than what I was expecting to have to spend. So I’ll plan on the two flooded batteries with the dvsr and onboard charger. With this setup my alternator should have no problems charging these batteries while running motor??This just seems too good to be true lol. I expected to have to have more extensive of a set up to really get the play time I am looking for with a 2500 watt RMS audio set up. So with the flooded batteries you linked I’d be fine with blasting the 2500watts for a couple hours at the sand bar or anchored up??

Jmesduncan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
One more question what’s a good option with budget in mind for a good head unit with previously mentioned audio set up? I’m not looking for anything special just something that would support two amps one for subs and one for 6.5s obviously. I have the single din old cd player slot for head unit so I’ll be wanting to just find a replacement for that spot. I’ve looked at some and I’ve found a Pyle marine that’s only like $50 and that just sounds too cheap. But it looks like it has what I’m needing 🤷🏻‍♂️

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’m not sure about the run time of your sound system… the wattage numbers are not linear with a sound system. in the future if you find that that is not enough capacity you can add another house battery in parallel.

Your alternator will charge these batteries when the engine is running for sure, figure a solid 50A of charging allowing for the amount of energy it takes to run the engine, which is a conservative guesstimate.

I’m not a sound system guy, if you search around this site several guys have set up some zoot sound systems.

I highly recommend one of these so you can monitor your house battery.

They are easy to install and are very accurate!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just don’t leave your engine idling at the sand bar if you need power… there has been several fatalities due to carbon monoxide poisoning…