• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Beware of your disk brakes on your trailer!!!

Riveramx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
So I am doing my normal maintenance and routine checks on my trailer. Everything looked fine. I took my boat to the ramp for the first time this season and noticed steam coming from my brakes as it touched the water. After going home and inspecting my brakes here is what I found. (We go in salt water and wash the boat and trailer with salt away everytime before leaving the ramp area before going home.)

1. The brake pad that touches the caliper ram is held in place by a steel spring clip that fits in the ram cavity and holds the brake pad in place.
2. Being made of steel it eventually corrodes and breaks.
3. When the clip breaks/fails the brake pad is no longer held in place and it falls down and jams itself between the bottom edge of the rotor and the caliper. This means that this pad is constantly pressing against the rotor creating heat and friction as you drive the trailer. It also means that your ram no longer has the thickens of the brake pad and it will have to travel that much more to touch the rotor again. This means in effect that you don't have the trailer brakes working anymore.
4. As the ram travels further out that it is designed to do, the protective rubber boot slips out of the ram edge groove. Left unchecked, the ram may even be ejected from the caliper.

I found a Stainless Steel brake pads that have the pad backing and the clip made out of stainless steel at KODIAK 10"-12" Disc Ceramic Pads w/SS Back, #DBC-225-CERM-PAD-SS. that resolved the problem. Hope this help.

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
What make trailer do you have ?

Riveramx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I have a 2013 shoreland'r dual axle trailer for a 2013 Yamaha 212SS.

Riveramx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
This is what was left of the brake clip. The brake pads still had a lot of braking material in them. I replaced the brakes about a year ago. The weak link is the brake clip.

Attachments