• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boat Buyer's Checklist?

dalcini

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi guys, after a short (8 year!) pause I'm starting to look for a boat again. Right now, I'm looking at 242's around model year 2016 locally in MI. As always, a few seem below market - so going to check those first. Any advice for things to look out for regarding this model or even in general?

Short of a sea trial (and professional survey?), what are some things I should ask/look for at a first viewing (aside from what's typically in an ad)? Here's my list so far - I'll edit this to add as I go:
- Has it ever been in saltwater?
- Engine compartment clean? (This is very telling for me)
- Signs of hull damage/repair?

And many great suggestions courtesy of @Julian years ago (some of these might be specific to the SX 230 I was asking about at the time):
- Number of hours (and hours in the various RPM ranges--this comes from the engine SW-if they say they can't provide...walk away)
- Crawl in that engine compartment looking for signs of water damage
- Have them pull the plugs and show them to you-don't want to see crappy looking plugs...
- Get a compression check
- Check out the seats..in particular the seams, and the tops of seats for sun damage.
- Test the boat on the water - should accelerate with no cavitation
- Get under the boat an look for hull damage...specifically under the stern 6 feet.
- Check out the stereo....stock unit had face-plate issues that resulted in dead head units. See if remotes work.

Any additional suggestions welcome!

Hi guys, after a short (8 year!) pause I'm starting to look for a boat again. Right now, I'm looking at 242's around model year 2016 locally in MI. As always, a few seem below market - so going to check those first. Any advice for things to look out for regarding this model or even in general?

Short of a sea trial (and professional survey?), what are some things I should ask/look for at a first viewing (aside from what's typically in an ad)? Here's my list so far - I'll edit this to add as I go:
- Has it ever been in saltwater?
- Engine compartment clean? (This is very telling for me)
- Signs of hull damage/repair?

And many great suggestions courtesy of @Julian years ago (some of these might be specific to the SX 230 I was asking about at the time):
- Number of hours (and hours in the various RPM ranges--this comes from the engine SW-if they say they can't provide...walk away)
- Crawl in that engine compartment looking for signs of water damage
- Have them pull the plugs and show them to you-don't want to see crappy looking plugs...
- Get a compression check
- Check out the seats..in particular the seams, and the tops of seats for sun damage.
- Test the boat on the water - should accelerate with no cavitation
- Get under the boat an look for hull damage...specifically under the stern 6 feet.
- Check out the stereo....stock unit had face-plate issues that resulted in dead head units. See if remotes work.

Any additional suggestions welcome!
I think you've got a very complete list. The only thing I'd add is check the Connext screen and make sure it's working well. No error messages. A lot of info is displayed therein.

On my 2017, I had to replace both the port tach and the Connext screen, both under warranty thank goodness. They're both expensive to replace, particularly the screen.

open ALL the bilge areas, all doors, underneath, etc. etc. Look under over sideways, etc. re: water intrusion and even factory finish or lack of in the hidden areas.

open ALL the bilge areas, all doors, underneath, etc. etc. Look under over sideways, etc. re: water intrusion and even factory finish or lack of in the hidden areas.
If you can’t see into these areas, use your phone and take a picture or short video instead.

Jim

-While you are under the boat checking for hull damage…use a strong light and look up into each intake tunnel and inspect the impeller and wear ring for wear / damage.
-When was the last time the cones were pulled and greased on the end of the pump?
-Pull engine dipstick and check the oil for cleanliness and whether the oil smells burnt.
-Look for signs of wheel bearing grease leakage, when was the last time the bearings were serviced?
-Be sure and check the aft bilge area

Back