• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Boating successes and (almost) failures

scguy13

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So we bought our 2013 SX190 back in May. We’ve only been able to go out twice since then due to work and life. My wife and I both took a week off work this week for a staycation and to get more boat time.

I brought the boat to the house yesterday (storage off site due to HOA rules…) to get ready to go out today. HOA rules be damned, I wanted to leave it parked in the driveway overnight. Anyways, I had some work to do. The swim ladder retention strap was missing and the grab handle above it was also missing, and I got the dealer to give me new ones when we bought the boat. Got those installed, and then removed the old Clarion radio and installed a new Kenwood radio, heat shrinked everything, etc. I was most excited about using the battery charger I purchased since I’ve been afraid of one or both batteries dying on us. So I hooked battery one up as soon as I got home and let it charge. It was done by late afternoon, and I charged battery 2 and it was done by about 9pm.

Those are the successes….

Cooler packed and excited to kick off day one of our staycation, we head 5 minutes up the road to the lake, completed the necessary pre-checks and dropped into the water… engine wouldn’t start. Battery 1, battery 2, both were all tried… no start. GPS and radio were working but the motor wouldn’t turn over. Dejected, we pulled off the ramp and back into the parking lot to troubleshoot. It was then that I remembered something I read on these forums about making sure the boat was in neutral. Sure enough, the throttle was in reverse….whoops. Put it in neutral, got back in the water, and she fired right up! We rode around for a bit, went to a restaurant on the water for lunch, then anchored up and swam for a while enjoying music from the new radio before coming home. All in all, a great third trip for us in our “new” boat!

I suspect I’ll continue to forget/remember/learn things over the next few outings. After our second trip I forgot to pull the clean out plug and let the water out. When I remembered after I got the boat home yesterday, the water was nice and gross and slime was covering everything so I got that cleaned up. Didn’t forget it today though, and I bet I’ll never forget to check the throttle in the future!