• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Budget Sunshade

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The problem is, I have to kind of guess how big of the shade I will need. Then I have to kind of mock a pole. I would be either putting the rod holders. 2 would be an optimum location. 1 would also be ok. 4 i think is to low and 3 is where we step getting on the boat.

I am going to get the angle of 1 and 2 roughly off the boat. Perhaps a 15 degree angled toward the front of the boat would work as well. that way it would provide me adequate angle but not be overly steep.

Any thoughts?

1685625733353.png

Last edited:

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok im on the boat now with the home depot shade. Whoever ordered one send it back now. The Poles were not broken but the shade itself is not 5x6, more like a 4x5 and the underside is flaking off! The top is like a nice canvas material but the bottom is garbage. I love the concept and will be ordering a different version.
Great....I wonder if these have been sitting in a warehouse somewhere. Mine arrives today.

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just received mine. Poles are in good shape, no cracks or dings on them. Plastic pieces on the poles aren't cracked and work to tighten the poles.
The shade is as others have stated, flaking a bit also.
However, I'm going to keep it and see how well it works first. It came with a sort of netted carry bag kinda thing that fits the shade but not the poles.

When I get a chance to try it out I will report back on here.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How do you think the poles are going to stay stationary in the back? I need to get up to Home Depot.

1WetBoat

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How do you think the poles are going to stay stationary in the back? I need to get up to Home Depot.
There are 2 sets of cupholders in the back of the AR250, so I'm going to try that first and see if i can make it work. They are where your #3 and # 4 are on your diagram. Not sure how that is going to go but I'm gonna try. The rear straps tie into the rear cleats for tension and the shade itself gives it tension in the opposite direction, it might work.
Worse case scenario I replace the cupholders with the combo rod/cup holders instead.

Emptytemples

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The oceansouth one really looks like the way to go and just replacing the upper swim platform with 15 degree rodholders. It stinks the bimini on these boats is so short.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought some plastic rod/cup holder combo (15°) replacements with a drain nipple and the matching stainless steel covers (they're heavy duty) and swapped out my lower cup holders. They would not fit in my upper swim deck location holders. They dropped right in the lowers but the screw holes did not line up. I just pre drilled them before screwing in. 2017 ar240. I think I'm going to order from Oceansouth. I was looking under the hardtop section for a bigger shade, possibly size 9 or 10. I'm going to drop a couple broom sticks in there to measure for the length.
Screenshot_20230601_194756_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230601_193906_Amazon Shopping.jpg

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If anyone buys the above cup/rod holders and cap, they do not come with screws and the factory cup holder screw heads are too small. I used #10 3/4 stainless screws from Lowes.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Not the same shade but same concept. Harder to do on the 21’ boats since we can’t just swap in a rod holder/cup holder.
Yeah, I see what you are saying.

I picked up the one from Home Depot that came, haven't opened the box. Going to get on the boat this weekend in the drive and use a broomstick to determine size and angle and take some measurements. Then most likely order from OceanSouth

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This one is a new product from them. For those of us with T tops it’s a possible choice.

I bought one of these a while back, and while it is a universal it does the job nicely. I‘m impressed with the materials and build quality. The straps are similar to seat belt material, very smooth and flexible.

Im goingt to see if I can modify my pole setup on my OG Ocean South extention to work like the new one. That would lake like much easier. Shouldnt be to bad to do.

Thanks for the recommendation on the enclosure too. I was thinking of making one but if that one woks I will o that instead.

LandSharksMom

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Haven't purchased yet for but came across these the other day. Looks like a no pole option, and less to carry around on the boat. May not help for those with the monster boats but for us little guys might be worth it.

Need to keep those pups cool! :)

7ft X 5Ft - SXS/ Boat Shade (site-shades.org)

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The problem is, I have to kind of guess how big of the shade I will need. Then I have to kind of mock a pole. I would be either putting the rod holders. 2 would be an optimum location. 1 would also be ok. 4 i think is to low and 3 is where we step getting on the boat.

I am going to get the angle of 1 and 2 roughly off the boat. Perhaps a 15 degree angled toward the front of the boat would work as well. that way it would provide me adequate angle but not be overly steep.

Any thoughts?

View attachment 201155
Did you ever take measurements and decide on one of these?

I was looking at mine and I think I might do the t-top extension since they are bigger and I think the taper towards the front will help me keep the fabric tighter. I was looking at the 7L x 7W at the back x 5 at the front and I think this would cover nearly all of my swim deck and still work with the poles.

I plan to use location 2 in your diagram. I pulled one of my stern speakers and looked inside - there is acoustic foam glued to the underside of that panel but otherwise it is open underneath. There is a divider wall in there as you move forward to #1 in your diagram, right in that general area.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Haven't done that yet, was on the list for the weekend

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Any thoughts?

View attachment 201155
I would say, swap out the two cup holders on the lower swim platform with combo cup/rod holders, but that would be with no budget at the price of a s.s. one. Holy cow! Nothing under $100. I did see one for $98. Oh well, there is plastic.

20230607_063420.jpg