• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clean out cover stuck on with silicone

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I siliconed this cover on last time I had it off and now I can’t even budge it to get it off. I only used regular GE 100% silicone but laid it down thick all the way around the flange. I didn’t think I’d be taking it off again for a very long time so it’s really stuck.

I tried jamming a big screwdriver underneath between the fiberglass and the cover and it just split the fiberglass.

Any ideas?

Get one of those extendable razor blade knifes. The ones that you snap to get a new edge. go slow and be careful. Also that is why it just has a foam gasket under it.

Get one of those extendable razor blade knifes. The ones that you snap to get a new edge. go slow and be careful. Also that is why it just has a foam gasket under it.
Right answer!

I’ll probably be doing foam when I put it back or at least just a bead of silicone around the outside.
Mine just had silicone from the factory but it wasn’t much.

I’m not sure exactly what you’re describing that is stuck. But if you can soak it with some kind of silicone spray and if it’s at all possible to get a piece of fishing line or string through there, you might be able to “saw” through the silicone. Good luck. Hope you figure it out.

Last edited:
Spray some DeBond around it and let it soak for a while.

I’m not sure exactly what you’re describing that is stuck. But if you can soak it with some kind of silicone spray and if it’s at all possible to get a piece of fishing line or string through there, you might be able to “saw” through the silicone. Good luck. Hope you figure it out.
I think it’s part 7 (cover) in the attached screenshot, if not part 1 (tray).

Attachments

• AF4A5A0F-8D1F-43D6-8175-EE85FFF4DB42.png
    AF4A5A0F-8D1F-43D6-8175-EE85FFF4DB42.png
    1 MB · Views: 15
Just heat it up with a hot air gun. It will loosen the fitting so you can get it loose. I use silicon to put together my fittings in the dust collector system in my wod shop. I use the silicon to seal and all I have to do is heat the joints when I need to make modifications.

I siliconed this cover on last time I had it off and now I can’t even budge it to get it off. I only used regular GE 100% silicone but laid it down thick all the way around the flange. I didn’t think I’d be taking it off again for a very long time so it’s really stuck.

I tried jamming a big screwdriver underneath between the fiberglass and the cover and it just split the fiberglass.

Any ideas?

Just dealt with a similar situation.. I put the silicone under the tray instead of just on the outside after the tray was installed. After using a utility knife to cut through on the outside, I was able to use a screw driver then a small pry bar / nail puller to remove the rest of it. I had used Gorilla silicone sealer on mine and it was pretty close to the edge of something breaking.

Another thing you might try is using a heat gun-careful! or a hair dryer to get it warm and then try using the utility blade method that @jacoviii suggested.

If I’m not mistaken it’s his clean out tray ….

Thank you all for the tips.

I ended up getting it with the razor but fishing line was a good idea too.

I had heard of debond but had no idea what that was for. I need to pick up a can for future problems.

DeBond is a Game Changer when you want to remove something thru hull that has 5200 or similiar. Not sure if there is anything else comparable. When I siliconed my hatch just like you and needed to remove it, there was silicone all the way around that needed scraped clean. Hit it with debond then cleaned with acetone and clean as can be.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the tips.

I ended up getting it with the razor but fishing line was a good idea too.

I had heard of debond but had no idea what that was for. I need to pick up a can for future problems.

Get a can. I keep one around for the boat and any other stuck on adhesive issues. I first started using it in April 2019 when I needed to remove the adhesive left behind when I was refitting the portlights in the Beneteau. I later used it to remove the adhesive left behind when I refitted the cockpit teak.

20190424_181644.jpg

20190425_114329.jpg

20190426_133015.jpg

20190426_154426.jpg

20190506_155346.jpg

The picture above shows the process. Spray it on the adhesive, let it set in a few minutes. The debond softens the adhesive and it scrapes up easily with a single edged razor blade. You can see the pile on the transom.

20190629_160052.jpg

Can't recommend it enough.

Last edited:
Back