• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clean out plug blowout and engine flood. Help!

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You are definitely on the right track now! Keep sharing status and I am confident everyone can keep you there to get you back in business. One step in the wrong direction can be game over; but it sounds like you dodged a bullet (or two). Yeah and good job.
Yessir changing oil first thing in the morning, then gonna test the engines

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Or one of those or similar, there is a variety, I have been using one of those for the last 3 years of so - love it:

Amazing how the members here are quick to respond and stay on to offer advice. Most of us have all been there, one time or another, so I'm very appreciative of this group!

--

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If your air filters are wet as you mentioned you do have water in the engine. Take the previous advice about removing the spark plugs to clear the water out. I hope it was fresh water.

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So how do I heat up the oil to extract, when, if I run my engine it will get destroyed because there’s water in it.
Can I just extract the oil cold?

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can’t find anywhere online, what oil and filters to use with 2014 Yamaha at 210, any help?

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The MR-1 Engine can use 10w40 Oil. Since you need an oil change yesterday, buy 4 gallons of the cheapest 10w40 you can find, and once you swap it a few times and get no water in the oil and run it for a couple of outings, you can change it again for a better oil in a few weeks. I normally use I use 10-w40 Castrol High Mileage on mine, since mine is 11 years old.

These filters are normally available at any auto parts. Any should do
Bosch 3323 Premium FILTECH Oil Filter
Fram PH6017A
Wix 51358
Mobil 1 M1-110

They are equivalent filters and fit the MR-1 just fine. I happen to own a 2008 Honda Pilot, and it turns out the Pilot and the MR-1 engine use the same filter, so if they don't have either of these, tell them to find one for the 2008 Honda Pilot and that filter should fit too. The Bosch filter is very nice and usually available locally.

Don't wait for stuff in the mail. Do you best with the parts locally available so you can get the boat started and running today. Your auto parts store will get you going.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So how do I heat up the oil to extract, when, if I run my engine it will get destroyed because there’s water in it.
Can I just extract the oil cold?
I’d start by getting out what you can while it’s cold. Fill it back up and keep checking the oil as you run it. Any signs of cloudy or milky oil you want want to immediately change the oil. New oil filter once you get the engine warmed up and can get all the oil out. And keep repeating until you’ve done a couple complete changes. Then get it on the lake and run it hard while keeping a close eye on the oil.

I’d change the plugs once you get it warmed up today and then maybe again after you have it on the lake.

Last edited:

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The other thing you maybe could have done was put a halogen shop light under or near the oil pan for a few hours to slightly warm up the oil... or one of those seedling germination mats overnight... Not a big deal either way at this point.

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The MR-1 Engine can use 10w40 Oil. Since you need an oil change yesterday, buy 4 gallons of the cheapest 10w40 you can find, and once you swap it a few times and get no water in the oil and run it for a couple of outings, you can change it again for a better oil in a few weeks. I normally use I use 10-w40 Castrol High Mileage on mine, since mine is 11 years old.

These filters are normally available at any auto parts. Any should do
Bosch 3323 Premium FILTECH Oil Filter
Fram PH6017A
Wix 51358
Mobil 1 M1-110

They are equivalent filters and fit the MR-1 just fine. I happen to own a 2008 Honda Pilot, and it turns out the Pilot and the MR-1 engine use the same filter, so if they don't have either of these, tell them to find one for the 2008 Honda Pilot and that filter should fit too. The Bosch filter is very nice and usually available locally.

Don't wait for stuff in the mail. Do you best with the parts locally available so you can get the boat started and running today. Your auto parts store will get you going.
Thank you, do you know the proper air filter, will I be able to get that at any auto parts store

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am not aware of a widely available air filter. If it is wet still, run without it for now, much better that letting the boat sit. If it's dry and clean, you can use the old one.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you, do you know the proper air filter, will I be able to get that at any auto parts store
Running WITHOUT air filters for a while is fine in most boats under normal circumstances. In your case that is the least of a problem.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Swat, if Im going for over $100 for a oil pump its gonna be electric. JM the reason I posted that oil extractor was the potential amount of times you might have to change the oil in the next week. Being electric you just attach to your starting battery and let it do its thing. Its ideal to have the oil warm but in this instance I would remove the contaminated oil and run it warm with the new oil.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My oil extractor is not electric, but that's an advantage in my eyes. It takes very little effort to power by hand, and I don't have to plug it in.

Pick what you like best, but electric requires electricity that you may or may not always have on hand.

For the original poster.... You don't get a choice today. Get whatever they have that works that you like. Must change oil and get running asap.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Swat, if Im going for over $100 for a oil pump its gonna be electric. JM the reason I posted that oil extractor was the potential amount of times you might have to change the oil in the next week. Being electric you just attach to your starting battery and let it do its thing. Its ideal to have the oil warm but in this instance I would remove the contaminated oil and run it warm with the new oil.
I hear what you are saying but until you use this one you will not believe the difference. Twice as fast as electric and gets more oil out. I was a non believer also.

I purchased this one:

Amazon.com: EWK Pneumatic/Manual 6.5 Liter Oil Changer Vacuum Fluid Extractor Pump Tank Remover: Automotive

I can either hit the pump 3 times and let it do the rest or I can hook my air compressor hose to it.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
My oil extractor is not electric, but that's an advantage in my eyes. It takes very little effort to power by hand, and I don't have to plug it in.

Pick what you like best, but electric requires electricity that you may or may not always have on hand.

For the original poster.... You don't get a choice today. Get whatever they have that works that you like. Must change oil and get running asap.
Most, if not all, the electric” ones are 12v so you just hook it to the vehicles battery. Which I guess would be a pain for a push mower but you could always use a jump pack.

I like that manual/shop air one but my new to me Volvo takes 8+ quarts. :( Otherwise seems the best of both... powerful and portable.

With the 12v ones jabsco makes one that is reversible for a little extra money. Seems worth it for emptying the bucket.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Reason for my choice is I used to have a tech come and service my boat and when he did oil thats what he used. I pretty much only use it for the boat so I always have power for it but as stated except for lawn mowers and those types of devices a 12v source is usually near by. In the past I had manual ones and the electric was much easier.

NorfolkJames

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Go down to the parts department at Lynnhaven Marine in VB they are a Yamaha dealer and service center, they have everything