• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clean out plug blowout and engine flood. Help!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The important first step is to cure the water/humidity.Don't sweat the engine light just yet, focus on getting clean oil and additional runtime on the engines to prevent any additional water/rust damage. Once that happens, and you feel the engine is dried up and oil is water free, then we can worry about the check engine light. It may be nothing, could be a wet connection, hard to tell at this time, but not urgent like the water issue.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You could have a faulty sensor or two or bad connection since everything got wet.

I’m not familiar with what these engines have for fault codes/sensors/ecu s but as long as the engine doesn’t sound like it’s grenading I’d keep running it and worry about the check engine light later.

The biggest concern is getting water out of the oil so the engine surfaces don’t rust internally.

Obviously it’s a balancing act and if the engine doesn’t sound right you shouldn’t run it. hard to say without being there ;)

The rpm fluctuation sound alright to me, When it fires up I’d say it’s normal for it to spike for a moment before it settles into its idle.

Can you post a video?

ETA beat by 30 seconds again. @Beachbummer

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Also make sure your boat is level so you are getting accurate oil level readings.

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ll post a video in a little bit.
The starboard sounds great, port is super loud like a wild difference

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m confused ...when I start it for about 10 seconds without water at 9000 then came down to 4,000 then 1500 but if I add water stays around 1500 . Check engine light stays on
Under normal operation out of water without flush on, starting my engines results in an initial instantaneous rpm bump to around 2200 settling down to 1500-1800. Are you saying you are reaching 9000 rpm out of the water no hose with the throttles in “neutral”? Might have been burning the extra “fuel” ie fogging oil initially then transitioning to injected fuel per ECM. Code could have been as simple as computer picking up on the unexpected rpm and fuel metering disconnect. Let us know if it is a continuous behavior or perhaps just a one time thing from the first fire-up.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
1. At this point, how long have you run each engine (in minutes)?
2. Does the port have a different rattling sound or does it sound as smooth as starboard, just louder?

Wishfull1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hopefully not a bent rod from being hydrolocked. The engine was obviously running to blow the cleanout, but did you shut it down right away? Before the engine compartment was fully flooded?

I doubt the starter has enough power to bend a rod when trying to start after the hydrolock. Hard to tell without hearing / seeing what is going on.

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
20 second video and the file is too big .. wtf.. but kinda looks like rpm is getting stuck at 4000 on the meter, then shoots to 9000 . However engine check warning doesn’t come on until water is turned on.

I run each engine about 3-4 minutes between changes.
Starboard is smoother and quieter.
Port just super loud maybe rattling early on then just never settles back into proper idle sound.
Similar results ever oil change . 3 changes so far

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What do I do if after third oil change it’s still milky. The port is much more milky than the starboard. Starboard looks close to perfect while port is stil real milky...
Could it also be playing a role, in the loud engine and spike in rpm

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
What do I do if after third oil change it’s still milky. The port is much more milky than the starboard. Starboard looks close to perfect while port is stil real milky...
Is it the engine that is loud, or something behind the engine? Is something (like a piece of stick or plastic) banging around stuck on the impeller (the prop inside the tube where the water gets pushed out by the jet pump)? I’m learning as much as you here by following along, but that is one thing that nobody has asked yet.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Check the plugs in the port engine. See if they all look the same.

I’d also do a compression check.

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check the plugs in the port engine. See if they all look the same.

I’d also do a compression check.
I did that before I started changing oil and they all looked good and the same .

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I did that before I started changing oil and they all looked good and the same .
As the engine injested water it would have filled the cylinder that happened to have the intake valve opened. The water could bend a rod or fracture the piston. Not sure that would explain the noise as you describe it but any differences in the spark plugs now that’s it’s been run would be a clue as to what’s happening.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Is the port engine getting any better with each oil change?

:wild speculation:

If you broke a rod it’s possible the cylinder/block/water jacket has been punctured. When you turn on the hose you could be adding water to the cylinder/oil. Which is also setting the check engine light

Last edited:

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds like a good guess I’mma check it out

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Is the port engine getting any better with each oil change?

:wild speculation:

If you broke a rod it’s possible the cylinder/block/water jacket has been punctured. When you turn on the hose you could be adding water to the cylinder/oil. Which is also setting the check engine light
Wouldn't he lose compression if that were the case?

How about....change the oil again (ensure no water in the filter), and then run the engine for 30 sec to 1 minute without water. Then check the oil and see if it is cloudy. If so, then not all the water was out. If it is ok, then run it with the water on, and check oil again. If milky, then you have water intrusion into the block somewhere.....

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If the engine filled with water while it was running, there is some chance there is a problem. If the engine was off already, generally attempting to start it while filled up won't bend the valves, as the starter can only do so much at low speed.

We may have a very lucky soul among us and he could escape unscathed. Hoping for the best. The weird noise could be also a little slop in the pump, and all is well.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have thrown rods and the engine has a bad habit of locking up immediately after it makes a loud bang if it runs it's fine. I would check the oil level before and after running it on the hose if the level rises then a leak could be present but I really doubt that is the problem it just has a lot of water in the oil and it is probably collection in the lower portion of the sump. If he can run it on the hose and make a vent for the water vapor to escape while it is running the water will evaporate you can also heat the oil on a outdoor hot plate and drive out any water then pour it in the engine warm and start over but the water must be removed On the m r 1 I believe there is a drain for the sump at the front of the engine and this may be another option messy but this is critical so a clean up job at the end is better than a new engine