• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Clean out plug blowout and engine flood. Help!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I would be sure the oil is not overfull usually you level the engine and then check the oil if it is just below full you are fine if it is above full you need to remove some did you say the oil is cloudy? if so that is water in the oil

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
if you have water in the oil remove and empty the filter and empty the oil , add some dextron2 like I said and put in some inexpensive oil to run it on the hose to mix the water and oil and then remove it and replace the oil and filter with a small amount of the transmission fluid just to be safe,

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have an oil extractor? You will need more than one oil change to get rid of all the cloudy oil/water mixture. More oil and less water is good. empty what you can and replace what you can.
Okay I will but should I run it on the hose first, or do oil first.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Also use the silicon all over the electrical and inside the throttle body since water went in you do not want corrosion in there hanging the butterfly valve up in the future because you will never figure out why the engine won't start if that happens.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If you don't get that water out of your engine and the other one if it has water in it you may be buying new engines it's that serious if the iol level is above normal you have water in it.

Wishfull1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Like Jeff said, use the cheapest oil you can find for these initial changes. You're going to run it for minutes then drain and throw it away. Well... not throw away, but properly recycle of course. :)

Last edited:

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have an oil extractor? You will need more than one oil change to get rid of all the cloudy oil/water mixture. More oil and less water is good. empty what you can and replace what you can.
No I don’t have an oil extractor . I will empty a bit just to make sure it’s not overflown

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Change all the oil now!!!

Then run it on the hose ASAP and check it often.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
ok, how do you plan to remove the oil?

NorfolkJames

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Okay I will but should I run it on the hose first, or do oil first.
Remember that fluids are non-compressible so if it is over filled with water, really bad things will happen.

Here is how I have dealt with hydolock in the past:

Hit everything with compressed air.
1. Drain oil - I have an electric pump if you want to borrow it.
2. Add cheap sacricial oil
3. Remove plugs
4. Disable fuel system
5. Turn motor over to clear combustion chamber of water
6. Drain cheap oil
7. Change oil filters
8. Change air filters
9. Fill with proper oil
10. Install plugs (I would replace with new).
11. Hookup hose for cooling water do not turn on yet
12. Restore fuel system
13. Start motor
14. Turn on water
15. Listen for signs of trouble
16. Examine exhaust color and volume
17. Allow engine to come up to temperature
18. Turn off water
19. Turn off motor
20. Change the oil again

If at any time it seems wrong, stop and take it to a boat mechanic (Lynnhaven Marine).

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Not sure just got the boat I thought it would drain out the bottom and have a tray to catch it...
Go to an auto parts store and buy or rent an oil extractor pump. Mity vac is popular.

Get enough oil for at least 3 changes, filters too.

And at least one set of spark plugs.

ETA
Then do what @NorfolkJames just listed.

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Remember that fluids are non-compressible so if it is over filled with water, really bad things will happen.

Here is how I have dealt with hydolock in the past:

Hit everything with compressed air.
1. Drain oil - I have an electric pump if you want to borrow it.
2. Add cheap sacricial oil
3. Remove plugs
4. Disable fuel system
5. Turn motor over to clear combustion chamber of water
6. Drain cheap oil
7. Change oil filters
8. Change air filters
9. Fill with proper oil
10. Install plugs (I would replace with new).
11. Hookup hose for cooling water do not turn on yet
12. Restore fuel system
13. Start motor
14. Turn on water
15. Listen for signs of trouble
16. Examine exhaust color and volume
17. Allow engine to come up to temperature
18. Turn off water
19. Turn off motor
20. Change the oil again

If at any time it seems wrong, stop and take it to a boat mechanic (Lynnhaven Marine).
Thank you would you suggest putting some fogging oil where the spark plugs go in, to make sure interior engine doesn’t rust

NorfolkJames

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure just got the boat I thought it would drain out the bottom and have a tray to catch it...
I'm working at the City of VB municipal center tomorrow if you want to connect and borrow my pump or you can come by the house tonight if you are in get it down now mode. I also have two new filters for my 2017 SX 240 if it takes the same kind. If not, Lynnhaven Marine has everything you need in their parts department. They are near the bay and the end of Great Neck Rd.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
These engines have a separate oil cooler from the sump, and a very very hard to reach oil drain plug, so the normal way to change the oil is with an extractor pump to suck the oil from the top. You can only get about 50% of it out at a time. Do you have a marine store nearby? You can get a BIG extractor specially built for this purpose. a small mighty vac can work too as suggested, just drain in a few times.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Remember the transmission fluid oil and water do not mix but they will if you use transmission fluid I have sunk a few engines in salt water in my time and have stayed up all night refusing to stop until I got all the salt water out of the engine,, most destroyed engines from water ingestion happen due to letting it sit in the engine.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah.....what they all said! Run, dont walk, to get that oil extractor and get going on this asap. It has already been in there longer than ideal.

It cant hurt to spray some fogging oil in there in the mean time....but changing that oil multiple times asap and warming those engines up once complete is what you want to be doing tonight.

Jmpicking

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah.....what they all said! Run, dont walk, to get that oil extractor and get going on this asap. It has already been in there longer than ideal.

It cant hurt to spray some fogging oil in there in the mean time....but changing that oil multiple times asap and warming those engines up once complete is what you want to be doing tonight.
Okay wel I’ll be doing that first thing in the morning , won’t be able to tonight, I’ll have a oil extractor so should go quickly

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You are definitely on the right track now! Keep sharing status and I am confident everyone can keep you there to get you back in business. One step in the wrong direction can be game over; but it sounds like you dodged a bullet (or two). Yeah and good job.