• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cooper River Run to Locks Fall edition

piney1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This is normally a spillway. Went up to do a damage assessment after the floods. When the lake is level with the spillway, you know it was a lot of water!

Attachments

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
ROLL CALL.

We're pulling the plug as well. cost, rain, flash floods, debris..brimstone, frogs.... I'm looking forward to this trip to the point it has to be spot on.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have canceled my Friday reservation but may wait one more day before I cancel Saturday. Either way its no big deal to me though if I don't go I can go to the Gamecocks ECU game on Saturday lol.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Man, this is so disappointing. I was looking forward to this for quite sometime. I'm driving to Myrtle Beach early Friday morning, but certainly don't want to tow the ski if nobody is in. It appears there's a solid 50% chance of scattered showers. What will it take (weather wise) to keep a few still interested? Just curious...

At least we're not there now since there's a flash flood watch for the next few hours :(

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Man, this is so disappointing. I was looking forward to this for quite sometime. I'm driving to Myrtle Beach early Friday morning, but certainly don't want to tow the ski if nobody is in. It appears there's a solid 50% chance of scattered showers. What will it take (weather wise) to keep a few still interested? Just curious...

At least we're not there now since there's a flash flood watch for the next few hours :(
Cindy and I are also bummed, we were looking forward to getting together with everyone.
My reasons for not going are:
- There is a decent chance of thunder showers for both days, especially during the time we plan to be on the water.
- With the chance of thunderstorms, there is also forecasted winds that could prevent the lock from operating.
- After all the rain the prior days, the river is going to be full of junk that will not be kind to our watercraft. It is going to take a week or so for the river to clean itself.

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If it doesn't clear up, this will be the 2nd time in a row the Fall trip is canceled due to a tropical storm.

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hoping Julia hasn't been to rough on you.
It hasn't been bad @Andy S. We got a lot more rain than we did from Hermine, but we needed it. It's gonna do great things for the water level in the river.

We put in Sunday afternoon as the tide was going out. Rode 30 miles down river to the coast & there was a few places it was around 4-5 ft deep at low tide on the boat ramp side.

Hoping you & Ms Cindy don't get much from it...as well as all my other boaters in the path.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ramblin Wreck I have talked to most and it would appear most are out. If your interested we will watch the weather till Friday morning and if it appears clear enough we can run the skis from Myrtle Beach to Charleston if I remember right it's about 100-120 miles each way. We can do the round trip in one day easy and just leave really early and probably be back in Myrtle around 2-3 pm maybe earlier depending on how hard we push it. There is very few no wake zones on that trip till we get close to Charleston. We can refuel in McClellanville so we shouldn't need to carry fuel. It really is a cool run probably nicer then the cooper River run other then the lock. If interested we can make a call before you leave Friday do you don't have to tow the ski up for nothing.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Ramblin Wreck I have talked to most and it would appear most are out. If your interested we will watch the weather till Friday morning and if it appears clear enough we can run the skis from Myrtle Beach to Charleston if I remember right it's about 100-120 miles each way. We can do the round trip in one day easy and just leave really early and probably be back in Myrtle around 2-3 pm maybe earlier depending on how hard we push it. There is very few no wake zones on that trip till we get close to Charleston. We can refuel in McClellanville so we shouldn't need to carry fuel. It really is a cool run probably nicer then the cooper River run other then the lock. If interested we can make a call before you leave Friday do you don't have to tow the ski up for nothing.
That sounds real good to me. Let's see if anything dies down within the next 24 or so hours.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Ramblin Wreck the forecast that still concerns me is the one for Monks Corner, SC. Still a decent chance of rain during the return part of the trip and the winds are up 10 mph but diminishing through the day. Luckily the amount of rain that TS Julia dumped on the area wasn't severe enough to cause to much flooding so the river might be relatively clean. If the weather continue to improve, I could at the last minute change my plans to go, assuming I have my boat back from the dealer.

upload_2016-9-15_12-39-33.png

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@robert843 @Ramblin Wreck if you guys have to cancel, I may be interested in doing that trip if our schedules could work out. I'd even volunteer to be the gas & gear caddy.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@ACrews I'm chomping at the bit for a reason to tow the ski out there. Would you trailer to Charleston or boat up? Is this weekend still clear for you?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Ramblin Wreck the forecast that still concerns me is the one for Monks Corner, SC. Still a decent chance of rain during the return part of the trip and the winds are up 10 mph but diminishing through the day. Luckily the amount of rain that TS Julia dumped on the area wasn't severe enough to cause to much flooding so the river might be relatively clean. If the weather continue to improve, I could at the last minute change my plans to go, assuming I have my boat back from the dealer.

View attachment 46192
I think @Ramblin Wreck and I have scratched the locks run and will run from Myrtle to Charleston and back on Saturday I think that is the weather he is mentioning. Our forecast for that path doesn't seem nearly as bad as Moncks Corner. Right now if the forecast holds him and I would likely have have smooth sailing most of the day we may get caught up in a rain shower or two on the way back but they would likely be brief coastal showers. Don't get me wrong though if the weather clears up and a couple of you decided to go we could easily switch gears. @ACrews we are actually talk about doing that run this Saturday. If we did it we would probably leave Myrtle Beach really early on the water by the 6:30-7am range it would probably require an overnight stay Friday night in Myrtle Beach for you to be able to make that time window but if we go you are welcome to tag along.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm up for anything. Just let me know where you want to meet and I'm in :) I'm certainly willing to do a single run down to Charleston and back. If weather permits and more would like to run to the locks, I would be willing to do that as well. I'd be fine with a Saturday overnight. Forecast seems to be improving near the Locks as well. Not sure if they'll be open but chance of rain has dropped a little during the hours we would be up there.

@robert843 would it be too much to make the run down to Charleston from MB and up the Cooper in one day if we stayed overnight in Charleston Saturday? Just curious in case the weather continues to improve and more can make it.

I really want to run the ICW though since I've yet to do that.

upload_2016-9-15_14-46-9.png

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm up for anything. Just let me know where you want to meet and I'm in :) I'm certainly willing to do a single run down to Charleston and back. If weather permits and more would like to run to the locks, I would be willing to do that as well. I'd be fine with a Saturday overnight. Forecast seems to be improving near the Locks as well. Not sure if they'll be open but chance of rain has dropped a little during the hours we would be up there.

@robert843 would it be too much to make the run down to Charleston from MB and up the Cooper in one day if we stayed overnight in Charleston Saturday? Just curious in case the weather continues to improve and more can make it.

I really want to run the ICW though since I've yet to do that.

View attachment 46223
I have some friends who do it every year. There is something called the Sparkleberry Swamp Duck run they do and it take place on the far side of Lake Marion and the run from Myrtle up to there in one day I think its 220-240 miles from here to the far side of Marion so probably 180-200 miles from here to the base of the lock. We could make it from Myrtle Beach to the lock and back to Charleston in a day but back to Myrtle Beach would be a stretch. If we left from Myrtle on skis I think my plan would be to only go to Charleston and return this time though as I wouldn't be taking my crew so I would probably have to come back that night and would hopefully like to be back by 4pm so I can watch the Gamecoks game. If the locks trip comes back together I would likely tow the boat down to Charleston and take the crew.

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I may not be able to make this trip since the lil man has come down sick yesterday. I was mainly saying if you guys have to cancel this weekend that maybe we could plan a different time. The weather being iffy has Meghan not too crazy about the idea & not wanting to have Eli out in the weather if he still not well by then.

That being said, I'd pretty much be out with no crew for this weekend & it would be a lot on me trying to make it solo.

I would tow to Myrtle Beach in a heartbeat if you guys wanna do that trip some other time for sure tho. I'm jus gonna keep watching the plans & see how things go for river run this weekend.FB_IMG_1466370502547.jpg