• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
It seems to be getting a lot of play on financial news for obvious reasons. MSM seems to ignore it and instead talk about an election nobody cares about. I’m not worried personally as I’ve always been prepared for an event like this.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
COVID-19 is the medical term for the Corona Virus, not the vaccine. To date, there has not been a vaccine introduced to the public. Additionally, COVID-19 has reached Japan already to the point where news stations were reporting the possibility of cancelling or delaying the Olympic games in Tokyo.
You're right, nothing is nor will be available for the public till after testing. We're "all" waiting for the COVID-19 vaccine. According to the news, first shipments went out today for testing. Like everyone, it's no time to panic but it is time to pay attention to what's happening. In today's high-tech world, word spread quickly.
Everyone is waiting for Dick Pound's decision. Tough call to make. No good options at all.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did an expat assignment in China a few years ago and have a number of contacts there in multiple provinces. I've been in contact with most over the last few weeks on this subject. They have been going through some very dramatic efforts to contain & minimize the virus' impact.

Every major population center has been in full lockdown mode since late January. Shanghai, Beijing, Tianjin, Shenzen, Qongqing, Hangzhou, Gongzhou, Chengdu - all of the biggest cities (well over 100,000,000 people in just those cities listed) have been confined to their homes for nearly a month. This has hammered their economy and put huge pressure on food distribution... and has had a wide variety of social impacts.

Essentially everyone in China takes the official statistics with a heavy grain of salt. The Party's number one priority (always) is to perpetuate Party control. So, ALL narratives through all media (which is all ultimately controlled by the Party) tend to tell all stories through a certain lens. So, people do not trust official stats around this virus. But they have gone along with official policies around efforts to contain it. And indications are the virus in China is peaking or may have peaked in the last week. Factories are restarting and home confinement rules are being eased in many cities. Crisis is not passed, but it is easing.

Most Chinese people are hardy, clever, and know how to look out for themselves. And they have used these strengths through this crisis. One person I know, in Shanghai, was in a nearby city visiting relatives over the first weekend of the Chinese New Year period (approx Jan 25). She was allowed to return to her apartment in Shanghai, but had to return days earlier than planned. She read between the lines and decided to "go shopping" when she got back to Shanghai. She bought dozens of pounds each of potatoes and rice, and many pounds of various types of onions. Why? Long shelf life. Boring, but one can survive on such foods for long stretches if necessary. And, so she has.

Now, if push comes to shove and the virus hits the US even half as hard as it has China, are you and your family prepared to eat potatoes, rice, and onions for a month of shut-in time?

If not, it is likely advisable to lay in some basic foodstuffs with longer shelf life. Cereals. Canned soups. Rice, pastas, sauces, etc. I was targeting two complete weeks' worth of food that we will otherwise use up over time if we do not need it. Am I going all out & buying thousands of dollars worth of MREs and prepper stew? Absolutely not. Not at all suggesting hoarding, just laying in enough to carry for a week or two, if needed.

In no way does this look like an end-of-times / zombie apocalypse situation. It is not, however, out of the question that we could be shut in to some extent for a few weeks, so consider that in your plans.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Now with solar and a water maker a few months on the sailboat is no problem, tropical waters I would hope.
that sailboat could be like a home base in Bimini... just saying.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My dad is concerned about our drugs. He says 80% of our prescription drugs are made in China.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This is one of many things where keeping one self in good health helps. I had let myself go a bit but have been back to working out, eating better, and limiting alcohol. I feel so much better only 6 weeks in. Does not mean if this thing spreads that I won’t get it but my survivability chances should be better if it comes to that.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My dad is concerned about our drugs. He says 80% of our prescription drugs are made in China.
Well, it is a bit more spread out through South East Asia plus India and Israel. The common theme being... bad QC, ranging from lousy to non-existent.
That is about generic drugs so not really related to this thread’s title, yet, but I would tend to buy brand name these days, regardless of price.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Just a funny, relevant story here...My in-laws decided to take a last minute cruise this week (seemed ill advised but whatever). They have now been unable to disembark at Ocho Rios and flat out turned away the ship at Georgetown. Why? Because a crew member has the flu (documented to be just the flu, no Corona virus). The spread of the virus seems mild compared to the spread of the ramifications of it. Look for economic consequences to continue...

Renod

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If not, it is likely advisable to lay in some basic foodstuffs with longer shelf life. Cereals. Canned soups. Rice, pastas, sauces, etc. I was targeting two complete weeks' worth of food that we will otherwise use up over time if we do not need it. Am I going all out & buying thousands of dollars worth of MREs and prepper stew? Absolutely not. Not at all suggesting hoarding, just laying in enough to carry for a week or two, if needed.
Excellent suggestion.

I don't consider myself a prepper but learned at a very early age one should always be prepared. In 1978 Michigan got hit by a major snowstorm. If it had just snowed a foot or two it wouldn't have been bad but the winds were howling, creating drifts that blocked the freeways. The town we lived near (Monroe) was basically closed down for nearly a week. Power was out, everything was closed. They actually had the National Guard involved. We lived in the boonies and had plenty of stuff on the shelf so it was never a concern for my parents.

Today I always make sure to keep stocked up on things like GTBRMC listed. Not a full-blown 60 day supply or anything like that, but enough to where if we need to stay-in-place for a week or so we will be OK. As we use some of the items I just restock as needed especially when things are on sale.

Regarding the virus itself it will be very interesting to see how things play out in Italy. With over 300 confirmed cases it provides (unfortunately) a large enough sample size that it should provide a better understanding of what we are dealing with. And I expect there will be a vast improvement in the transparency of reported facts vs. China!

mrmeaniemeateaterman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here’s some perspective, One person dies every 37 seconds in the United States from cardiovascular disease. About 647,000 Americans die from heart disease each year—that’s 1 in every 4 deaths. I don’t see anyone mentioning this on the news. No rush on the fresh produce aisle to correct this epidemic?

I dont fear the virus. I fear uneducated, irrational desperate people fueled by a fear mongering 24 hour news cycle. If people would just turn off the news, facebook, Twitter, etc and just live their own lives the world would be a better place.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’m fine for a month no problem. Kid and old lady may be upset but full and upset. Trout stream in back yard, catfish in pond, deer on lawn also.8A1E8837-E7C0-4FCF-963D-DA5733A86CC7.jpeg

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Excellent suggestion.

I don't consider myself a prepper but learned at a very early age one should always be prepared. In 1978 Michigan got hit by a major snowstorm. If it had just snowed a foot or two it wouldn't have been bad but the winds were howling, creating drifts that blocked the freeways. The town we lived near (Monroe) was basically closed down for nearly a week. Power was out, everything was closed. They actually had the National Guard involved. We lived in the boonies and had plenty of stuff on the shelf so it was never a concern for my parents.

Today I always make sure to keep stocked up on things like GTBRMC listed. Not a full-blown 60 day supply or anything like that, but enough to where if we need to stay-in-place for a week or so we will be OK. As we use some of the items I just restock as needed especially when things are on sale.

Regarding the virus itself it will be very interesting to see how things play out in Italy. With over 300 confirmed cases it provides (unfortunately) a large enough sample size that it should provide a better understanding of what we are dealing with. And I expect there will be a vast improvement in the transparency of reported facts vs. China!
I lived near Saginaw, Michigan through the blizzard of 1978. We had about 36" of snow, heavy winds, drifting up to some roofs. Lasted 2.5+ days. When the worst of it was over, my dad, my sister, and I hoofed it to Kroger's (about a half mile) to get milk and a few other basics. Minimum waist high snow the whole way, For then-9-year-old-me, it was big adventure. But it was a week before the plows dug us out. We lived on a cul-de-sac and EVERYONE in the neighborhood (including me) worked to clear one lane in our court so that people could get out once the trunkline we were attached to was cleared out. Years later, talking with my dad, he told me there was real concern for a number of our elderly neighbors. They insisted on shoveling snow like everyone else, but, had anyone had a heart attack (which happened in other neighborhoods but not ours), it would have been very difficult for EMS to help out.

Anyway, I said my piece above. This will not be a zombie apocalypse, but being prepared to take care of your own for a week or two if required is easy and prudent, IMHO. Cheers to all.

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I’m fine for a month no problem. Kid and old lady may be upset but full and upset. Trout stream in back yard, catfish in pond, deer on lawn also.View attachment 112423
A lot of fish and game as well as foraging in the woods. I may develop a palate for squirrel and save my maple tubing at the same time. But you are missing some key provisions...Coffee, beer, bullets and TP. ;)

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't expect this to reach pandemic levels like you see in the movies, but there is very little reason other than bravado to underestimate or dismiss it's potential. Does Heart Disease and Flu kill more? Of course. Is this Ebola? Definitely not. Doesn't mean that this doesn't have a chance to cause significant widespread disruption over the course of the year, though.

Supply chain disruption is my primary concern, we receive an alarming amount of drugs from China, including branded drugs - and although there is some pickup from India, that's the last place I want to get a drug from if they are scrambling to increase production to account for global demand. Food, building materials, parts for basically anything manufactured in China - all coming on the slow boat - THAT is my concern.

Also, I'm annoyed because my trip to Italy in April was just cancelled - was for work, but I was looking forward to it as I'd have two weekends 'off' to go explore. But that's my own pity party.

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Being in a hurricane prone area and having ridden out a half dozen hurricanes in NC and here down in FL we have learned it doesn't take much to create a "run" on food, supplies, etc. We (just the two of us) keep 2 cases of MRE's, a lifestraw (Highly recommend to anyone), and a container of Wise Co. emergency meals on hand, guns, ammo and various other supplies on hand at all times.
I tend to believe that this is a serious situation but one that is not unlike our yearly flu season (that kills up to 60K folks a year), and the other "pandemics" such as SARS, MERS, etc that have appeared over the years, serious stuff but nothing to panic over, the media will fan the flames to sell ad space, and scare folks but most will not be affected and spring will be here before you know it and we can all be out on our boats enjoying this wonderful world that has been given to us, not stuck inside in front of the TV.

Last edited:

Renod

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
FLBulldogger - have you ever used the Lifestraw? I picked one up on clearance when our local Gander Mountain went out of business a few years ago. Have never actually used it so I was wondering how well it works.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
From what I've read, the concern is not the loss of life (stop comparing to the flu), but the surge of patients vs. the lack of care takers. We don't have enough hospital beds in the U.S. to hospitalize a percentage of our population infected with the severity of treatment that covid-19 brings to the percentage of infected.. We certainly don't have the staff to treat them. Add in the percentage of patients a hospital runs as a baseline due to injury/births/etc., and you have a real issue with where to put the sick. Then if a percentage of your staff is sick, you have less people to treat the sick. Finally if supply chains are lagging you have less medicine. It could be a real mess.

Second to that is the wallet hit and length of time a recovery could take.

Status
Not open for further replies.