• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Life straw is ok guys but won’t remove SOME endotoxins and will NOT remove heavy metals or soluble hydrocarbons. Ultrafiltration is the technology inside, which is fine in the swamp or desert but their claim of 1000 liters of effluent is highly suspect to me given the size of the filter and using your mouth as the “pump”.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
There are many ways to skin that cat, but sheltering in place for a couple weeks will require more capacity. Chlorine, media filtration, RO if for some reason municipal treatment fails. For a day or two lost in the desert life straw can’t be beat, but I suspect it will foul longer term without regular backflushing and chemical treatment. Gravity fed lends itself to higher chances of fouling and plugging.

Renod

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Until we know more I don't think there is a legitimate concern about patients vs care takers in our country. Keep in mind that the stats coming out of China are not exactly reliable. Is it worse? Is it better? Who knows??? The Chinese government always manipulates facts, economic or otherwise.

The biggest threat is not the virus itself but instead fear itself. The fear of the unknown is always far worse than the actual!

Renod

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
...but their claim of 1000 liters of effluent is highly suspect to me given the size of the filter and using your mouth as the “pump”.
OK, once you stated "using your mouth as the pump" I checked out! Trying to locate crayons and a safe space...

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Until we know more I don't think there is a legitimate concern about patients vs care takers in our country. Keep in mind that the stats coming out of China are not exactly reliable. Is it worse? Is it better? Who knows??? The Chinese government always manipulates facts, economic or otherwise.

The biggest threat is not the virus itself but instead fear itself. The fear of the unknown is always far worse than the actual!
Not sure where you're sourcing your facts from, but the experts that have been on the financial channels are disagreeing with you.

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have to say this whole situation has me a little nervous as the world has never seen anything like this before. The two concerns for me at this point is not the virus but the impact this is having on the world economy and the panic that will create. Right now we are just starting to see the impact of the lose of production in consumer goods out of China. Second, the financial markets are setting record rate loses as more and more cases are identified worldwide. The Fed is already planning on rate reductions which are going to significantly hurt banks that never saw this coming in their 2020 financial forecast. I don't consider my self a prepper by any means but stocking up on cash, propane, water, shelf stable food an ammo.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Walked through Costco yesterday just to check out if there was any kind of run on goods. Plus I needed to restock the wine rack!!! As you walked through the doors with your cart there were 3 people standing there wiping down all top rails of the carts with antibacterial wipes. Okay, that was a little weird and I have never seen this before. I walked through the canned goods and dry grocery isles, and also was checking out what people had in their carts or flatbeds. There is a noticeable dent in can good, beans, pasta, rice, frozen chicken.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Walked through Costco yesterday just to check out if there was any kind of run on goods. Plus I needed to restock the wine rack!!! As you walked through the doors with your cart there were 3 people standing there wiping down all top rails of the carts with antibacterial wipes. Okay, that was a little weird and I have never seen this before. I walked through the canned goods and dry grocery isles, and also was checking out what people had in their carts or flatbeds. There is a noticeable dent in can good, beans, pasta, rice, frozen chicken.
Interesting, I did the same thing yesterday....with the same observations. I've always had about 8 months of food stored at our "bunker". I loaded up yesterday on the simpler things like TP, soaps and items with a lesser shelf life for nearer term. I'm not concerned so much about the virus, I'm concerned over the masses reaction.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I've seen that long before this and not at Costco. I think it's a good thing, a very good thing. Do you know who/what touches those handles???

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Financials are banking on a short-term surge on non-china facing grocery stores like Kroger in the next 90 days. We're already stocked up, but will be adding more for good will towards neighbors and those in need.

Renod

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Not sure where you're sourcing your facts from...
That info comes from professional associates that are in China. I have made several trips there myself over the last 10 years but won't be making another one any time soon!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Excuse my ignorance...The COVID-19 is not airborne. Why is everyone wearing mask? I put on a mask so I don't breathe "crap" into my lungs. If this is true than it's useless in this sense. Now, if it's to prevent saliva from exiting the mouth, like when speaking, that makes sense. Same as why doctors wear masks. I believe most people (a lot that I've spoken too) think it's to prevent them from getting the virus when actually it's to prevent it/you from spreading it.

Am I correct in this thinking?

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Excuse my ignorance...The COVID-19 is not airborne. Why is everyone wearing mask? I put on a mask so I don't breathe "crap" into my lungs. If this is true than it's useless in this sense. Now, if it's to prevent saliva from exiting the mouth, like when speaking, that makes sense. Same as why doctors wear masks. I believe most people (a lot that I've spoken too) think it's to prevent them from getting the virus when actually it's to prevent it/you from spreading it.

Am I correct in this thinking?
It spreads by droplets, such as a sneeze or cough, if within about 6 feet of the infected person. A mask will protect you from that.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is this virus as bad as much as the media says? nah. But It is bad...though this has happened many times in our history.... well get through it i hope. my bigger worry is we are failing in two areas. governments ignoring science and falsifying info to save face or appear in charge, is a huge problem to be sure, but the biggest problem is:.

Mindless idiots that don't wash their damn hands in the restroom. There were 5 people in our work restroom yesterday, two of them skipped the sink. Going forward, I will be calling this out i don't care if I get punched in the face.

As to masks, they are much better for people who are infected to not spread it.... I'm not sure it does much to protect you unless theyre completely sealed and filtered. Unless you hold your breath around someone with it.... lol

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm still trying to decide if I go to India on Monday! My concern is getting stuck there, less so getting the virus.

What China is doing is unprecedented and what makes me worry the most. China has litterally quarantined and locked down whole cities. We are talking about 500 Million people affected!!!! That is more than the entire US population! For them to have gone to this extent is astonishing, and is what makes me wonder if they know more about this than they are saying publicly - like perhaps more are dead/infected than they are admitting?

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is this virus as bad as much as the media says? nah. But It is bad...though this has happened many times in our history.... well get through it i hope. my bigger worry is we are failing in two areas. governments ignoring science and falsifying info to save face or appear in charge, is a huge problem to be sure, but the biggest problem is:.

Mindless idiots that don't wash their damn hands in the restroom. There were 5 people in our work restroom yesterday, two of them skipped the sink. Going forward, I will be calling this out i don't care if I get punched in the face.

As to masks, they are much better for people who are infected to not spread it.... I'm not sure it does much to protect you unless theyre completely sealed and filtered. Unless you hold your breath around someone with it.... lol
That’s true, CDC recommends masks for the infected and healthcare workers but not as standard prevention for healthy individuals. With proper use, a mask is effective at protecting you but there are multiple variables, even a beard can compromise your safe use of a mask.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Agreed on people not washing their hands or fake washing. I get pissed when there's no paper to use to open the door on the way out. Air dryers are great for the environment, bad for keeping clean in public bathrooms.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
FLBulldogger - have you ever used the Lifestraw? I picked one up on clearance when our local Gander Mountain went out of business a few years ago. Have never actually used it so I was wondering how well it works.
They are still for sale in Walmart or another version of it it’s just a filter for Giardia and other stuff if you drink out of a stream

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Agreed on people not washing their hands or fake washing. I get pissed when there's no paper to use to open the door on the way out. Air dryers are great for the environment, bad for keeping clean in public bathrooms.
Air dryers are so paper towels don’t go down the toilet and clog it.
i own a commercial plumbing business anyplace that gets clogged a bit they put them in.

Status
Not open for further replies.