• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Day 2 in the hospital.......

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That sucks man! Hope you feel better sooner rather than later. I know it was a big deal for you to take this trip by your previous posts! The $1MM question: Is this workman's comp? 😉
Doubt this is a workman's comp claim. So far no way to tie the the lung-funk to the state of Nebraska...... I'll keep my eyes open though, those are currently still working right.

As to the trip and the underlying project. It's currently going sideways pretty bad, less than zero chance I'll have to heard to Kermit, TX to finalize it. Gonna work hard to avoid that trip though. My techs are super sharp, and should be able to handle it.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Get well and stay safe

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@2kwik4u , I salute you and want to shake your hand. Sounds like from the start you have and are continuing to tough it out. Glad to read you are getting better and hope they figure it out soon so you can go home and be (less) lonely. Rooting for you here in Northern California.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@2kwik4u, best wishes for a full and speedy recovery! Boating season is around the corner so be quick about it! :winkingthumbsup"

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, they moved me out of the contagious wing and into a "regular" room. Still getting broad spectrum antibiotics by IV, and some Tylenol every now and then (I think I'm having caffeine withdrawal). Overall I feel better now than I have in weeks. I'm breathing easily and fully, even managed to get some sleep last night without snoring,gasping, or coughing.

With any luck they're going to discharge me today with a 6wk oral antibiotic regime. Just have to wait on the all clear from the pulmonary and ID docs, then a sign off from the general practitioner on site.

I need it too, I haven't showered or changed underwear since Sunday. Been either too weak, too attached to devices, or otherwise unable to get a shower. I seriously need a shave too.

Thanks for all the warm wishes, prayers, and thoughts! You guys rock!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Made it home about 6pm EST today. Still really easily winded and not 100% by a long shot. But home and improving is a helluva good place considering where I was on Sunday.

Thanks again for all the warm wishes, kind words and prayers.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Made it home about 6pm EST today. Still really easily winded and not 100% by a long shot. But home and improving is a helluva good place considering where I was on Sunday.

Get some sun and fresh air on the boat asap!

Mike Cardillo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Get well soon!

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Glad you are feeling better, get out and enjoy the boat.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

Did they find a diagnosis? Did they indicate if it could happen again? What do you have to change now that you're home? Just asking cause it could help others. 🤞 :)

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Glad to hear you're on the mend!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did they find a diagnosis? Did they indicate if it could happen again? What do you have to change now that you're home? Just asking cause it could help others. 🤞 :)
Best theory they have is that I had a tooth abscess at some point in the recent past (6mo or so) and didn't know it. I breathed in some of that bacteria and it settled in my lung and created this infection. They didn't really know why it chose this time to flair up and become a problem. They also couldn't find any other aggravating environmental factors that would have caused the infection at this time.

I've technically still got pneumonia (I think that's right, basically a lung infection), and they sent me home with another 4 weeks of antibiotics to take. I wasn't given any restrictions other than "don't push yourself", which I quickly found to be true.

I'm still extremely easily "winded". Multiple long sentences, a flight of stairs, things like that will give me pause. It's different than before. I used to get winded and feel like I wasn't getting full breathes. My breathing was more shallow and quicker. Now I'm getting good full breathes, but the capacity to do something with it just isn't there. I'm going to have to rebuild that over time.

The only other caution they gave me was to stay at home as much as possible, and ALWAYS wear a mask in public until a vaccine, or other treatments are found for the current pandemic. They said my risk will diminish as my strength builds, to a point but would always recommend a mask for the foreseeable future.

The big changes for me over the near term are no alcohol (because it reduces the antibiotics efficacy), mask usage in public, and an exercise routine to build cardio and lung function back to an acceptable level. They also want me to visit my dentist when he reopens for a complete check and repair of any damaged teeth or cavities that might have occurred over the last year.

Basically........bad luck and timing for me.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Best theory they have is that I had a tooth abscess at some point in the recent past (6mo or so) and didn't know it. I breathed in some of that bacteria and it settled in my lung and created this infection. They didn't really know why it chose this time to flair up and become a problem. They also couldn't find any other aggravating environmental factors that would have caused the infection at this time.

I've technically still got pneumonia (I think that's right, basically a lung infection), and they sent me home with another 4 weeks of antibiotics to take. I wasn't given any restrictions other than "don't push yourself", which I quickly found to be true.

I'm still extremely easily "winded". Multiple long sentences, a flight of stairs, things like that will give me pause. It's different than before. I used to get winded and feel like I wasn't getting full breathes. My breathing was more shallow and quicker. Now I'm getting good full breathes, but the capacity to do something with it just isn't there. I'm going to have to rebuild that over time.

The only other caution they gave me was to stay at home as much as possible, and ALWAYS wear a mask in public until a vaccine, or other treatments are found for the current pandemic. They said my risk will diminish as my strength builds, to a point but would always recommend a mask for the foreseeable future.

The big changes for me over the near term are no alcohol (because it reduces the antibiotics efficacy), mask usage in public, and an exercise routine to build cardio and lung function back to an acceptable level. They also want me to visit my dentist when he reopens for a complete check and repair of any damaged teeth or cavities that might have occurred over the last year.

Basically........bad luck and timing for me.
Thank you and thank you for sharing. Sounds like you're one of the lucky ones. Stay safe and stay strong...

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you for sharing your experience 2kwik4u. Please, keep informing us! The best to you and your family.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you and thank you for sharing. Sounds like you're one of the lucky ones. Stay safe and stay strong...
100% I was lucky in this instance. It was something that, while not 100% known, was very treatable. I can't imagine how bad it is for those that just have to fight through it without a well known and documented treatment. Not being able to breathe is hands down one of the scariest things I've experienced.

The support here and from elsewhere has been overwhelming. I truly appreciate. I sincerely hope anyone else dealing with this mess has a good support team to help them through it.

I can also say my attitude towards "non compliance" protestors, and people calling the pandemic a hoax, and "just the flu" has changed significantly. I just had a light brush with it, not a full head on collision with it. My propensity to deal with thier stupidity, lack of compassion, and generally poor informed state has dropped significantly. To the point I had to ask the best man from my wedding the other day if the economy recovery was worth my life. Again, I didn't have it, but the bed I was in was open because it wasn't filled with a COVID patient. EVERY OTHER PATIENT in the wing of the hospital I was in had it, and there were only a few empty rooms remaining. How close does it have to hit before it people change their tune?

Sorry for the rant there, its just clearly hit pretty close to me, and it's solidified my position significantly.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Many, many, many people only think of themselves. I see it all the time as I sure you do. But, thank GOD there are those who do care and are willing to put everything (and I mean everything) on the line to help others/total strangers. I'm sad you went thru such an ordeal, but excited you were able to learn from this. The school of Hard Knocks sucks and typically leaves scars. I try to look at things as "the glass is half full". You got to see first hand what it's like for these front line workers. They bust their butts everyday and keep fighting cause life, IMO, is SO worth living.

Had a conversation with my neighbor. They are sick and tired of not being able to go out and eat. Monday restaurants opened and they were the first ones in line (he's bragging). I thanked him and said we need guinea pigs out there to let us know if it's safe. "It's my right", he said. I ask him, if he feels so strongly and this is not a big deal, than please volunteer and work the front lines along side of people begging to be tested. You don't need any PPE or masks and they could really use your help. He said, "If I get it I get it, no big deal". WTF...