• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

DC to DC charger for Lithium Trolling Batteries. 195 FSH.

IamJoHo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I am adding a trolling motor to my 2023 195FSH and am considering adding a DC to DC charger instead of a AC-DC charger since I live at an apartment and getting access to AC power will require using the EV charging stations. Question is how well do the DC to DC chargers charge? If I'm running between spots will the single engine be capable of charging the starting, house and 2 lithium trolling batteries? I feel like it just won't provide enough charge when adding 2 more but I could be wrong. Has anyone tried this setup and how well does it work?

I am adding a trolling motor to my 2023 195FSH and am considering adding a DC to DC charger instead of a AC-DC charger since I live at an apartment and getting access to AC power will require using the EV charging stations. Question is how well do the DC to DC chargers charge? If I'm running between spots will the single engine be capable of charging the starting, house and 2 lithium trolling batteries? I feel like it just won't provide enough charge when adding 2 more but I could be wrong. Has anyone tried this setup and how well does it work?

It will not be enough. Your boats alternator only puts out roughly 14 A at 3500 rpm, I verified this using a Victron smart shunt on my boat. You are going to need an AC type charger to charge your trolling motor batteries. Here’s the good news, LiFePO4 batteries can charge very quickly, if you have 100Ah batteries they will charge in roughly four hours from an 80% discharge as long as you use a charger capable of that charge rate. I run Victron Energy IP67 chargers and they charge at 25A, I’ll be swapping out my remaining MinnKota battery charger that currently charges my start and house batteries to a set of Victron IP 67’s over the winter.

Check out this thread I posted on LiFePO4 batteries.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/conversion-to-lifepo-batteries.35834/
It was a much longer journey than I thought it would be! There is some great input in that thread from other members. In my opinion Battle Born batteries are the best bang for the buck.

Along with the trolling motor batteries I also upgraded my house battery to a LiFePO4 battery which is a great pairing with the charging system on our boats. Upgrading the house battery requires modifying the BEP DVSR to either an ignition hot or storage mode, the latter of which is what I use, these are variations that BEP has documented in their literature.

You will also want to install a Victron smart shunt on your trolling motor battery bank to keep track of the state of charge. I’ve installed two, one on the troller and another on the house bank. Not having these on your batteries is just guessing at usage and state of charge.

It will not be enough. Your boats alternator only puts out roughly 14 A at 3500 rpm, I verified this using a Victron smart shunt on my boat. You are going to need an AC type charger to charge your trolling motor batteries. Here’s the good news, LiFePO4 batteries can charge very quickly, if you have 100Ah batteries they will charge in roughly four hours from an 80% discharge as long as you use a charger capable of that charge rate. I run Victron Energy IP67 chargers and they charge at 25A, I’ll be swapping out my remaining MinnKota battery charger that currently charges my start and house batteries to a set of Victron IP 67’s over the winter.

Check out this thread I posted on LiFePO4 batteries.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/conversion-to-lifepo-batteries.35834/
It was a much longer journey than I thought it would be! There is some great input in that thread from other members. In my opinion Battle Born batteries are the best bang for the buck.

Along with the trolling motor batteries I also upgraded my house battery to a LiFePO4 battery which is a great pairing with the charging system on our boats. Upgrading the house battery requires modifying the BEP DVSR to either an ignition hot or storage mode, the latter of which is what I use, these are variations that BEP has documented in their literature.

You will also want to install a Victron smart shunt on your trolling motor battery bank to keep track of the state of charge. I’ve installed two, one on the troller and another on the house bank. Not having these on your batteries is just guessing at usage and state of charge.

Yeah thats what I was figuring. Thanks a ton for all the info. Im interested to see how fast the Noco 5a charger I got charges the battery from dead. Im hoping it will do the job in 12 hours but if not I will need to upgrade and will use this one on the house/start batteries.

Back