• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Discussion of taking firearms to Bimini

Did you mean 380 pistol or are you really carrying a 308 pistol like this one?

Nope... nope. I'm just retarded!! Guess I should quit trying to multi task so much.

(edit) BUT..that is one bad a** pistol!!!!

Nope... nope. I'm just retarded!! Guess I should quit trying to multi task so much.

(edit) BUT..that is one bad a** pistol!!!!

Funny, I thought you really planned to bring a 308 handgun!!!!

Not originally.. but after watching that video.... maybe :winkingthumbsup"

Not originally.. but after watching that video.... maybe :winkingthumbsup"

As Rana and I have plans for some longer distance adventures on bigger and slower boats I have researched this quite a bit. Generally the advice I have found is to take common non tactical sounding firearms. For example a Smith and Wesson 38/357, a Springfield 45, Ruger 223 (mini 14), Springfield 308 (M1A), Remigton 12 Guage (870 short barrel pump).

As for Bimini a flare gun is perfectly legal, does not need to be declared and will not have you involved with the police

As Rana and I have plans for some longer distance adventures on bigger and slower boats I have researched this quite a bit. Generally the advice I have found is to take common non tactical sounding firearms. For example a Smith and Wesson 38/357, a Springfield 45, Ruger 223 (mini 14), Springfield 308 (M1A), Remigton 12 Guage (870 short barrel pump).

As for Bimini a flare gun is perfectly legal, does not need to be declared and will not have you involved with the police
Now I like that!! (can't say I'm against the 12ga though - I love my Mossberg 500 Insight)

As for the Bigger Slower boats... would you be referring to island hoping in a nice size sailboat? Care for someone to work the sheets?
I'll bring the beer and the ammo!! :thumbsup:

My wife and I just got back. They held my firearm at police station. Pain in the a$$ and a waste of time. Vessel must have sleeping quarters to maintain possession.

I went to pick it up at 7am on our way out and waited 30 min for the only guy with the armory key to arrive. He was in his pajamas. Lol. Officer then drove me back to Big Game. Don't know many people who have ridden in the front of a Bimini squad car.

sigh... OK. I guess this southern redneck will just have to go with a flare gun.
Traveling in a group will give me peace of mind as well... Here I come BIMINI CROSSING 2017!!

(now all I need are trim tabs, VHF radio [base and hand held], flare gun, EPIRB, 2nd bilge pump, upgrade anchor line, upgrade my Lowrance Navionics.....)
whew, and I'm just getting started

Large dive knife strapped to the thigh under the shorts works.

Large dive knife strapped to the thigh under the shorts works.

There really is no need. I have always carried a folding knife. I always do. It came in handy for opening the coconuts at Stuart's to get the rest of the meat out.

Too late @Bruce - I'M ALREADY ON IT!!

That is not a Bimini knife, this is a Bimini knife and she has already been three times.

image.jpeg

I do plan to add a couple of the SOG filet knives to the grill bag for next year. The Chinese "stainless" set I have been using has not fared well with the salt water exposure.

We rented a golf cart and explored the undesirable areas. Didn't come close to needing it. Personal preference.

That is not a Bimini knife, this is a Bimini knife and she has already been three times.

Nice knife @Bruce!!! Looking forward to meeting you at next years crossing.

On a serious note, Bimini is full of friendly, relaxed, no stress, island time people who are happy to see you adding to their economy. They have much less than we do. The islands are where they live and most never get to experience them in the way we do.

Please be friendly, courteous and kind and they will be as well. Many will go out of their way to help you.

Do not be a threatening ass. Regardless of what you have brought with you, you are outnumbered and will lose.

In three years with 21 days on the island, six days of which was just my family I have never found any reason to even raise my voice. I believe you should be diligent and aware of your surroundings everywhere you go. But there is no place for displaying weapons intentionally or accidentally or aggressive behavior in Bimini. The locals will not do so and we certainly need to avoid doing so. Getting caught up in their legal system would be a most unfortunate situation.

Absolutely!! Bruce you're a little farther north than I am but I quit sure you were brought up the same way. Southern charm - Protect yourself and your family but always have a open hand and an out stretched arm.

If you get a chance to come hang out at the beach, give me a ring. I'd love to come drink a Bushwacker with you and show off our boats

I'm kinda surprised reading this thread or is it just my naivety, is there a real need or consideration to take a weapon to Bimini/Bahamas?
Like you @Bruce my wife and I are looking to go cruising, either in this area and around the ICW or the Mediterranean. Now I've sailed the Med many times and at no time did I ever feel the need for any self defence, I've never heard of any instances either.
After a web search I haven't found any real worry either with the Bahamas, so why the need to have a gun? I know there have been "issues" in parts of the Caribbean and I've been to Nassau many times, which is rife with crime but that's on land.

Hello @Britboater I believe it's a personal choice - Deeply seated in one's background (and how much they watch the news).

Personally I always carry. Both my wife and I are always armed and well trained. Additionally we train our child and ensure that gun safety is ingrained in him as well.
Back to your question - Do I believe that guns are needed at Bimini? = NO. However I do not simply 'arrive' at Bimini. I must drive from my home with my family, spend nights in areas that I do not know, and then travel over open water. That sir is where my consideration for a weapon arises.

Please also understand that growing up in southern United States is a very different mind set than other parts of this county, much less the world. I am very eager to assist my fellow man and bend over backwards to help out were I can. That doesn't mean that I won't protect myself, my family and those associated with me at a moments notice.

It depends where you go in the islands if you'll need a firearm; few and far between. The few existing "pirates" generally harass large yachts or vessels that are somewhat slow and contain food and $. I've met a couple of captains who have had encounters. Once a 37mm bird buster pops over the heads of a pirate boat they turn away and look elsewhere.

I love those things!! No matter how nasty or wet your hands are -- still an amazing grip!!

Back