• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Double towing camper and boat.

Yep... no way my rig would be 60’. Lol

Still, it sure would be handy to not have to take 2 tow vehicles everywhere. I pull the camper with the truck, and the wife pulls the boat with her Tahoe. Did it twice on a 6 hr tow to the Ozarks this summer.
Knowing Illinois they probably made it 60’ because they knew it was next to impossible to be under that length with that setup. I definitely agree it would be a lot more convenient.
I took this pic at a light on my recent trip to northern Wisconsin
CBE0C38C-3E0B-472C-AC3C-ED993EA0DC5C.jpeg

I fabricated a hitch onto the back of my double jet ski trailer to pull another single jet ski trailer. I’ve used it a couple times To pull from Louisiana to Florida. No problems so far and was surprised at how well it pulls. because of the distance from the axle back to the hitch of the first trailer, it pushes the tongue of the second trailer out which makes it take basically the same track In turns. Kinda like one of those kiddy trains.

Doesn't' help with a 5th wheel, and an SX190 is already over the 2,500lb limit, but it's a neat idea to get two things to one place with one tow vehicle.

I had dreams of doing the double towing thing at one time. I'm in Texas too and have seen it done many, many times. Most of the time it's a utility trailer with a golf cart or motorcycles or it's a small or simple fishing boat. I've never seen a full on family run about type boat behind any sort of sizable 5th wheel. It's usually too long AND too heavy. We have a 36' 5th wheel that I really wanted to do this with until I got to measuring. With the truck hitched up to the camper it adds 11' to the length so 47'. Add the 23' boat on the trailer that measures 25' and I'm looking at 72'. That's a long train! I think I would get noticed by the 5-0. Besides the length, I don't think my 5er is stout enough to take on 5k on its tail. The frame flexes and moans under it's own weight so I can't imagine what would happen if I could add the boat to the mix. I applaud you @B0at1n for being able to pull it off with your Grand Design 5er and ballsy enough to head towards Houston with it. I don't like driving in Houston without a trailer, much less with 2!

So we're finally at the point that we now have a second tow vehicle that can handle the boat when the truck has camper duty. We've made one 2.5 hour trip that way and it's fun and worth it in the right location. Meaning, if you have enough parking area and you're not being charged for all the extra vehicles.

I certainly do not have the balls to ever attempt that. While it sounds like the OP does it safely, I am glad this is mostly illegal. Most people can barely tow safely, let alone double tow.

With that being said, I want to see a video of someone parallel parking this.

The biggest thing I see when I'm on the road and others towing is they never look in their mirrors enough or at all to keep an eye on what's behind them. I'm constantly looking in my mirrors at the trailer, tires, boat cover, traffic and whatever else is going on around me. When I blew the tread off of a trailer tire going down the interstate I wasn't even looking in the mirror at the time but my peripheral vision noticed something and I pulled over right away to see what had happened. The biggest thing is to pay attention and remember that your not just cruising down the road in your vehicle, you have a lot more responsibility when pulling trailers.

I had dreams of doing the double towing thing at one time. I'm in Texas too and have seen it done many, many times. Most of the time it's a utility trailer with a golf cart or motorcycles or it's a small or simple fishing boat. I've never seen a full on family run about type boat behind any sort of sizable 5th wheel. It's usually too long AND too heavy. We have a 36' 5th wheel that I really wanted to do this with until I got to measuring. With the truck hitched up to the camper it adds 11' to the length so 47'. Add the 23' boat on the trailer that measures 25' and I'm looking at 72'. That's a long train! I think I would get noticed by the 5-0. Besides the length, I don't think my 5er is stout enough to take on 5k on its tail. The frame flexes and moans under it's own weight so I can't imagine what would happen if I could add the boat to the mix. I applaud you @B0at1n for being able to pull it off with your Grand Design 5er and ballsy enough to head towards Houston with it. I don't like driving in Houston without a trailer, much less with 2!

So we're finally at the point that we now have a second tow vehicle that can handle the boat when the truck has camper duty. We've made one 2.5 hour trip that way and it's fun and worth it in the right location. Meaning, if you have enough parking area and you're not being charged for all the extra vehicles.
Your right about where I’m at. I actually stopped at a weigh station yesterday and weight wise I am under on GCVW and drive axle. Steer axle I’m right at limit.
Driving through Houston actually wasn’t bad. It was mid day so not stand still traffic. What I wasn’t expecting was the tight 2 lane I-10 coming out of Houston toward San Antonio. That was a little sketchy, tight with concrete walls on both sides.

CADD46A6-61E7-447B-8E6E-D52B424C8349.jpeg

@adrianp89 I don’t know about parallel park. But I have parked the boat at both campsites while connected to fifth wheel.

CDCDD23C-47D9-430F-B44B-4E86EED7E6E8.jpeg

@Babin Farms you are 100% correct. I am super aware when driving even unloaded of my surroundings. Most people do seem to be oblivious to things going on outside their circle I added an observation camera so I could see the boat behind the camper. what’s nice about the boat trailer is it is has a light on the front of the fender so makes it easy to see in the side view mirrors too

BDCF3F2D-6C55-418C-925D-2FCE750B6FE0.jpeg

I am impressed you backed it up straight! I wonder how each pivots in reverse, I would imagine that camera is a life saver.

@adrianp89 its definitely a learning curve the back trailer is much easier to get to far out of alignment. The camper can’t react fast enough to correct it so it becomes a mix of start the curve and once it get to far out you have to pull back forward The opposite direction a little to straighten up the direction you want it to go. But all in all it’s not bad. Gotta be good with geometry though to figure out which was to go. If you guess wrong you gotta restart. Lol.

@tim h the 6.7 hasn’t skipped a beat even going up relatively steep inclines In the hills outside of San Antonio. It rained before we came through so I was more worried about wheel spin in 2wd going up the hills. Only had one moment of slippage. I actually couldn’t feel it but the truck told me it was happening. So I switched to 4 wheel high for that small segment getting to the campsite around lake Medina.

Last edited:
What milage do you get with that train? My 17‘ f250 4x4 with the 6.7 only averaged 9.5 pulling my 24’ Yamaha wake on a 500 mile Round trip. I do have 37” tires on it tho.

According to the dash I am averaging about 10.5 I’m running 65-70mph max.

Cool to see and hear somebody doing this safely. Last night on interstate 40 here in central Arkansas, we saw two similar setups........except it was large Winnebagos, pulling a vehicle (Jeep Wrangler), and then in tandem a large utility trailer with a golf cart. Probably not the heaviest weight, but both of these guys were in the left lane running at about 85+ MPH! Utility trailer was moving around quite a bit on one of them! The scary thing is that people would try to speed up to get by them in the middle lane and they would try to speed up to keep from being passed! Definitely not safe! And of course no State Troopers to be found! :)

Just because you can, doesn't mean you SHOULD. Truck driver here, hazmat and tanker certified, former doubles/triples endorsement holder. I steer clear of those people who do this, and I'll never attempt it.

A semi tractor is better equipped to handle this, and I'm of the opinion that there doesn't exist a common passenger vehicle suited to doing this safely.

I'm certain that towing all of that got you a good dose of the experience that semi drivers get every day. It's shocking how shitty MANY people drive thanks to the self-importance that seems so rampant nowadays.

Well so far, all has gone well made it to Conroe and now at lake Medina.

I made relatively tight u turn not thinking about how the trailer swings at the rear and how tight it would make the boat go...made contact jack knifing while moving forward...ooops!

does anyone know if a canvas shop can fix this tear in the black cover?View attachment 133621
I had similar tear fixed at upholstery shop near 35 and Royal. Turned out good and was cheap.

My tear was caused by storage stall neighbor clipping the boat with his cargo trailer.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you SHOULD. Truck driver here, hazmat and tanker certified, former doubles/triples endorsement holder. I steer clear of those people who do this, and I'll never attempt it.

A semi tractor is better equipped to handle this, and I'm of the opinion that there doesn't exist a common passenger vehicle suited to doing this safely.

I'm certain that towing all of that got you a good dose of the experience that semi drivers get every day. It's shocking how shitty MANY people drive thanks to the self-importance that seems so rampant nowadays.

From a technical standpoint, what are the drawbacks/concerns with normal 250/350 class trucks doing a double tow? Sway control? Traction? Wheelbase? Towed weight vs Vehicle weight?

I've never done it, so I have ZERO first hand knowledge of the situation, but from a technical standpoint there isn't anything that jumps out as a "Holy crap that won't work" issue.

Genuinely curious, not trying to be combative/obtuse about it.

I think that it is all of the above - plus the ability/inability to back up. Professionals would not only have the needed skills for backing, but they would also have the requisite knowledge (and actual weights) for the loading of the various trailers.

I think it would be very difficult for most occasional users to ensure that: each trailer had the proper tongue weight (to avoid sway, because I do not think you would/could run multiple WDHs), each hitch in the line was operating within its specifications (most RV trailers have very limited hitch ratings - as in can only plug a bike carrier into it), you actually have lighting and brake harnesses all the way down the line, how to calibrate electric brake controller settings on multiple controllers if your various trailers all have electric brakes and etc.

It seems most commercial multi-trailer set ups use standardized (all the same) commercial trailers, and I would imagine that all of these issues have been addressed.

From a technical standpoint, what are the drawbacks/concerns with normal 250/350 class trucks doing a double tow? Sway control? Traction? Wheelbase? Towed weight vs Vehicle weight?

I've never done it, so I have ZERO first hand knowledge of the situation, but from a technical standpoint there isn't anything that jumps out as a "Holy crap that won't work" issue.

Genuinely curious, not trying to be combative/obtuse about it.

I didn't take it as combative, as it's only my opinion, and I'm willing to accept that I may be wrong too.

To address your comments, I don't consider a 350/3500 truck to be a common passenger vehicle. The 250/2500 I view similarly, although I see them as common when someone is looking for a purpose, such as towing a 5th wheel or a larger boat. My neighbor had a 250 (and recently moved up to a 350 when his 250 finally crapped out on him). He does/did dock installs and LOTS of towing of equipment, cars and materials. Seems to be the common theme with anyone moving up to a 250, they see a definite need above and beyond what I would consider the typical truck - an F150/1500.

There's plenty of people who don't know the difference (or care, or consider it) between that step up. I used to rent equipment in a past career, and often, people would show up with a 1500/150 when they were explicitly told on the phone prior to their coming in to the store, that "An F150 will not haul this, and you have to have at least a 1-ton to be able to rent this, we will not rent it to you otherwise". Then I'd get bitched at because "it's got a hitch that'll handle that, I don't know why you guys are being such jerks about it". I also did landscaping, and this would happen too - I can see your springs are bottoming out, and you've got a truck bed FULL of stone. That's a 3/4 ton pickup, and you've easily got a ton or more of stone in there. Why anyone would load that is beyond me.

These things are why my personal opinion is that a 250/2500 or larger isn't a "common" passenger vehicle, but I realize that others can/will view that differently, and that's fine with me - it's simply not my view, and we can coexist happily in the same world.

The main concerns I have are some that you mentioned - braking, sway control, load weight AND distribution, sidewind or wind loads in general, driver experience, traction (which seems like it'd be tied to wheelbase and load/distribution/braking). Double towing isn't common for a reason. Many folks have problems just towing a single item behind them. I've personally witnessed a single equipment trailer get loose on a friend and eventually take him off the road and backward. He was running a 2500, and easily puts on 200+ miles per day towing that trailer. The typical camper/boater doesn't have as much experience, although I realize and acknowledge people who double-tow very well might have lots of experience. To me, it's a risk/reward that isn't worth it. People have lost their lives towing single items that got out of their control.

My tractor trailer has 4 different ways to brake, depending on the severity and need (engine brake, brake pedal, air brake, super-duper pull the lever emergency brake), so it doesn't seem unreasonable to think some additional method of braking assist would be wanted by the person looking to double-tow, but just like people pushing the limits of what they deem to be reasonable use for a 1500/150, I know there will be people who blow it off because of reasons. These can help with sway control too, but they're not infallible - everyone on here can see pics of a truck/boat combo that's lost on the side of the road (or smack in the middle of the road).

Your statement kinda is the point of why I personally won't do this - there's nothing jumping out at me that says it won't work, but that doesn't mean I WILL do this. The risk/reward for me is simply too far weighted in the risk column. If I needed both to have fun, there's ways to address it. Rent a boat or camper/cabin where you want to stay at, bring a tent, have the wife tow whichever item she feels comfortable towing while you tow the other, etc etc. At the very least, I can't control the other doorknobs on the road and how they'll drive around me, so that'd be the final item I'd take into consideration before attempting this.

I'm not saying anyone's wrong for doing this, but I don't agree with it, and I'll be the guy giving you a SUPER wide berth and trying to help you manage yourself in traffic if I can do so, since I'm familiar with how people drive/react around larger vehicles or towing a load. The jerks that WON'T do this far outnumber me on the road, to the point that I'm comfortable with my opinion even if there's disagreement with it.

Last edited:
Back