• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Double towing camper and boat.

What milage do you get with that train? My 17‘ f250 4x4 with the 6.7 only averaged 9.5 pulling my 24’ Yamaha wake on a 500 mile Round trip. I do have 37” tires on it tho.

just calculated actual mileage. Drove 1078 miles combined towing and non towing miles used 121.89 gallons of gas. That average 8.8 MPG.If you factory in the 150-200 miles I drove unloaded. Probably averaging around 7.5 to 8 MPG.

I may look into putting a larger fuel tank on. I stopped 9 times for fuel. Granted I didn’t let it get much below half a tank because I wanted to be picky on what gas station I had to get in and out of.

26 gallon tank only gives me a max range of 200 miles when loaded.

just calculated actual mileage. Drove 1078 miles combined towing and non towing miles used 121.89 gallons of gas. That average 8.8 MPG.If you factory in the 150-200 miles I drove unloaded. Probably averaging around 7.5 to 8 MPG.

I may look into putting a larger fuel tank on. I stopped 9 times for fuel. Granted I didn’t let it get much below half a tank because I wanted to be picky on what gas station I had to get in and out of.

26 gallon tank only gives me a max range of 200 miles when loaded.

I bought my truck (17’ f250 6.7 fx4 crew cab) used and that means you get what’s there. I was ok with everything except that it had the long bed. That’s a land yacht at 23’ long. I was worried the maneuverability Would be horrible but took the risk because I don’t need it except for hauling this boat around. Turns out it does better than I expected, aside from it sticking out of parking spots. The upside of the long bed is that it came with a 48 gallon tank. I didn’t even know the tank capacities were so different at the time but it’s a nice bonus.

@drewkaree I totally see your point and understand your perspective. There's LOTS of people who don't have a clue or respect for someone towing or just large trucks in general. Most 18 wheeler accidents are caused by the driver trying to avoid the vehicle that suddenly cuts in front of them because they're more important and in a hurry. I have people cut in front of me or turn in front of me while I'm towing our 5th wheel and all I can do is hit my brakes and lay on the horn. I'll even give them the finger if I have a chance!

Most modern diesel pickups in the 3/4 and 1 ton class have an engine brake from the factory. Mine is an '08 with the 6.7 Cummins and it does and works well. Travel trailers all have electric brakes and are controlled by a brake controller in the cab of the truck. @B0at1n has a newer Ford, like all newer trucks then mine, has the controller built in. Most standard boat trailers have surge brakes that don't need a controller to operate.

Everyone of us on this board have some trailering experience because we all own a trailerable boat. Some of us are way more comfortable with the act of towing then others. I've owned and towed a trailer since '06 when we got our first camper in the spring and our Yamaha at the end of July that same year. The very first time towing anything of any size was towing our new to us camper home in the dark. I was a nervous wreck! Now towing anything is second nature to me and it's all recreational. I'm very comfortable and confident towing because I know my rig. If my rig was close to the legal limit to be able to tow double I would have at least tried it once. But as I stated before the frame of my 5er is not the most robust. It groans and creaks when lowering the pin weight onto the hitch in the truck. Our trailer also doesn't have a hitch on the back like B0a1n has. I have a square steel bumper back there. The Grand Design of the OP is a very well built rig. The only negative, and it's very small, is the tongue weight of the boat on the back of the 5er lessening the pin weight on the back of the truck. For as light as the 190 is compared to the camper I see no negative effects in the handling department.

For a fuel mileage comparison I average around 12mpg towing our 5er and I have a 34 gallon tank. I too, when towing, like to be looking for my next fuel stop at a half a tank. I've never calculated what I get when towing the boat, but I know it's not much different then running empty. It may actually be better at times because towing makes me keep my speed in check.

@drewkaree I totally see your point and understand your perspective. There's LOTS of people who don't have a clue or respect for someone towing or just large trucks in general. Most 18 wheeler accidents are caused by the driver trying to avoid the vehicle that suddenly cuts in front of them because they're more important and in a hurry. I have people cut in front of me or turn in front of me while I'm towing our 5th wheel and all I can do is hit my brakes and lay on the horn. I'll even give them the finger if I have a chance!

Most modern diesel pickups in the 3/4 and 1 ton class have an engine brake from the factory. Mine is an '08 with the 6.7 Cummins and it does and works well. Travel trailers all have electric brakes and are controlled by a brake controller in the cab of the truck. @B0at1n has a newer Ford, like all newer trucks then mine, has the controller built in. Most standard boat trailers have surge brakes that don't need a controller to operate.

Everyone of us on this board have some trailering experience because we all own a trailerable boat. Some of us are way more comfortable with the act of towing then others. I've owned and towed a trailer since '06 when we got our first camper in the spring and our Yamaha at the end of July that same year. The very first time towing anything of any size was towing our new to us camper home in the dark. I was a nervous wreck! Now towing anything is second nature to me and it's all recreational. I'm very comfortable and confident towing because I know my rig. If my rig was close to the legal limit to be able to tow double I would have at least tried it once. But as I stated before the frame of my 5er is not the most robust. It groans and creaks when lowering the pin weight onto the hitch in the truck. Our trailer also doesn't have a hitch on the back like B0a1n has. I have a square steel bumper back there. The Grand Design of the OP is a very well built rig. The only negative, and it's very small, is the tongue weight of the boat on the back of the 5er lessening the pin weight on the back of the truck. For as light as the 190 is compared to the camper I see no negative effects in the handling department.

For a fuel mileage comparison I average around 12mpg towing our 5er and I have a 34 gallon tank. I too, when towing, like to be looking for my next fuel stop at a half a tank. I've never calculated what I get when towing the boat, but I know it's not much different then running empty. It may actually be better at times because towing makes me keep my speed in check.

I did notice a decent change between running 60 vs 70. Our first run to Houston it said we were getting about 10mpg on the truck and being first stretch double towing and in the dark because we were behind on the days plans I stayed at 60 the whole time.

from Houston to San Antonio I was running 65 and we were showing on the low 9s.

when running 68-70 back to Dallas it was showing a low 8 number.
The trip to Dallas was north and into a strong head wind. So that could be a big contributor to the reduced fuel economy as well.

Interesting aside, my 2020 Chevy Silverado with the tow package has the ability to have "trailer profiles" that gives your fuel mileage with that trailer attached. It also allows you to set service intervals for tires, brakes, lube, etc. and will remind you as you approach the service interval starting about 1000 miles out. These newer trucks are mighty nice in helping to prevent the common issues that cause trailer related incidents and accidents.

Great picture and awesome you can do that, we tow our boat behind our Newmar Dutch Star, we typically tow a Jeep using a towbar, but we can do either or. If we take the boat, we alwys make sure they where we can go they can offer in/out service.

Hat's off to you on that set up.

Who else double rows their Yamaha behind their camper?

We made our first trip Friday, drove from north Dallas to Lake Conroe about 4 hr drive.

I was able to back tie boat into the storage spot at the campground while still behind the camper. Was easier than I though it would be.

View attachment 133319View attachment 133320View attachment 133321
@B0at1n is yours a Grand Designs Reflection 190 Bunk House? We've been trailer shopping the past 3 weeks and looked closely at one. Very Nice trailer! Ultimately we just put down a deposit on this Forest River Rockwood 36' (total length) bunk house. It's our first camper trailer we're pretty stoked on it.

Now I need to decide on what hitch to put in my bed. Is yours a 6.5ft bed? Mind if I ask what 5th wheel hitch you're running? I don't want the added weight of a slider if I can do without...

I'm not sure if I'll be able to talk my wife into letting me double pull, though it is an option for me. The state says 70' according to our salesman, though i recall reading 65'. Also according to him and multiple others I'm acquainted with who pull double, no one really cares... they're all over length or know someone who is ove length and "never had an issue. In my estimation, I'd be 78' tip to tip. ? I kind of wanna try it...

Now I need to decide on what hitch to put in my bed. Is yours a 6.5ft bed? Mind if I ask what 5th wheel hitch you're running? I don't want the added weight of a slider if I can do without...

Look into the Reese Sidewinder. When I was researching 1/2 ton towables with short beds this came up on a few forums. Looks promising, and doesn't add a much weight like the sliders do.

@B0at1n is yours a Grand Designs Reflection 190 Bunk House? We've been trailer shopping the past 3 weeks and looked closely at one. Very Nice trailer! Ultimately we just put down a deposit on this Forest River Rockwood 36' (total length) bunk house. It's our first camper trailer we're pretty stoked on it.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to talk my wife into letting me double pull, though it is an option for me. The state says 70' according to our salesman, though i recall reading 65'. Also according to him and multiple others I'm acquainted with who pull double, no one really cares... they're all over length or know someone who is ove length and "never had an issue. In my estimation, I'd be 78' tip to tip. ? I kind of wanna try it...

I have a 2018 28BH. It’s a little under 34ft.

i have a B&W hitch permanent mounted in the bed. Being I am full time it’s used weekly so i deal with it. I do have to be aware with the short bed since it doesn’t slide.

i bought truck and camper as a package from someone. If i were to piece it together I would of gone with the Anderson hitch.

double towing is easy. Just make sure you weights are correct and everything follows the leader.

I’ve heard the same thing. No one pays attention even people on states it’s illegal in say cops never bother them.

I am looking at a SXS and a enclosed trailer to put behind it when it’s not boating season.

I honestly don't think it's necessary to have a slider hitch in a short bed. Just know your limits! We bought our truck used and it had a B&W turnover ball gooseneck already installed. When we moved up to our 5th wheel I got the B&W companion 5th wheel hitch. The slider version had just came out, but was hard to get so I went with the standard one. I remove it from my bed quite often and I have a clear floor, no rails, when i do. A lot of reviews say it's the best hitch on the market. It's all i know and there's no question it's a high quality product and I have no problems with it. I know when it's made a good connection with the kingpin without any doubt. I've seen others with different hitches have issues in that department and seen the way mine operates and wish they had my hitch. And these people are camping veterans and 20 years my senior.

I have a 2018 28BH. It’s a little under 34ft.

i have a B&W hitch permanent mounted in the bed. Being I am full time it’s used weekly so i deal with it. I do have to be aware with the short bed since it doesn’t slide.

i bought truck and camper as a package from someone. If i were to piece it together I would of gone with the Anderson hitch.

double towing is easy. Just make sure you weights are correct and everything follows the leader.

I’ve heard the same thing. No one pays attention even people on states it’s illegal in say cops never bother them.

I am looking at a SXS and a enclosed trailer to put behind it when it’s not boating season.
The 2021 28BH is the one we liked at. Beautiful!

The B&W Companion non slider is one I'm closely considering. My Denali is factory prepped with a OEM turn over ball (puck system). Most the manufacturers make compatible systems.

My dad runs an Anderson on his 42 ft 5th wheel, it's nice and super light weight. One of the salesmen said he thought it was maybe a bit too light duty for double towing.

Look into the Reese Sidewinder. When I was researching 1/2 ton towables with short beds this came up on a few forums. Looks promising, and doesn't add a much weight like the sliders do.
I remember coming across the Sidewinder in my research. Our trailer is actually equip with a similar 'Turning Point' pin box. It functions like a standard stationary unit, but if you remove a couple of bolts and install a wedge that holds it stationary in the 5th wheel it moves the articulation point back to under the pin box. But they say it does change the handling characteristics. I'm thinking I get the stationary hitch and I always have the turning point as an option if I get in a bind.

Thanks y'all!

The 2021 28BH is the one we liked at. Beautiful!

The B&W Companion non slider is one I'm closely considering. My Denali is factory prepped with a OEM turn over ball (puck system). Most the manufacturers make compatible systems.

My dad runs an Anderson on his 42 ft 5th wheel, it's nice and super light weight. One of the salesmen said he thought it was maybe a bit too light duty for double towing.

I remember coming across the Sidewinder in my research. Our trailer is actually equip with a similar 'Turning Point' pin box. It functions like a standard stationary unit, but if you remove a couple of bolts and install a wedge that holds it stationary in the 5th wheel it moves the articulation point back to under the pin box. But they say it does change the handling characteristics. I'm thinking I get the stationary hitch and I always have the turning point as an option if I get in a bind.

Thanks y'all!

they redesigned the 28bh in 2020. Your are now 2-3 foot longer and you have a different bunk house with 3 bunks instead of two full size bunks. they also removed the massive rear storage and the outside TV. this changes are why I went with a used unit. I think the only thing I dislike on this unit is that when the living room slide is in you can’t get to the bunk house.

We were debating between this one and the 367BH.

Now that we know we like this one at under 34feet. Just need the same floor plan in a toy hauler with a 12ft garage. Then the SXS and the boat could go at the same time! Haha.

they redesigned the 28bh in 2020. Your are now 2-3 foot longer and you have a different bunk house with 3 bunks instead of two full size bunks. they also removed the massive rear storage and the outside TV. this changes are why I went with a used unit. I think the only thing I dislike on this unit is that when the living room slide is in you can’t get to the bunk house.

We were debating between this one and the 367BH.

Now that we know we like this one at under 34feet. Just need the same floor plan in a toy hauler with a 12ft garage. Then the SXS and the boat could go at the same time! Haha.
That would be a bid haul... ? lol! Be sure to post pics! The 3 bunk is what we were after for our 3 boys. We'll see if this deal goes down wurth the Rockwood... Apparently the salesman screwed up which trailer we were putting the deposit on and it has a slightly lighter color interior than the one we walked thru. Of course another customer came in 30 minutes later and put a deposit on the one we toured... So, we're heading up in an hour to actually look at this one before we go thru with it. Kind of frustrated and disappointed by the whole thing, but there's slim pickings it there these days.

I've been researching this for awhile and want to try an make it happen this year. In Michigan, you're allowed to double tow up to 75 feet. However, I have a 24' Yamaha and trying to find a fifth wheel that would handle this (it would have to be a shorter one with a beef up hitch frame). Not sure if a 24 footer is possible for double towing? If it is, then I'm willing to make it work.

I've been researching this for awhile and want to try an make it happen this year. In Michigan, you're allowed to double tow up to 75 feet. However, I have a 24' Yamaha and trying to find a fifth wheel that would handle this (it would have to be a shorter one with a beef up hitch frame). Not sure if a 24 footer is possible for double towing? If it is, then I'm willing to make it work.

Look at the Grand Design models of 5’ers.. there are several brands that come with hitches from the factory, but I do not know the capacity of them. I see quite a few guys towing their 24’ boats with tandem axle trailers where I live.

Looked into hitches a bit when we were considering a motorhome. Most seem to have a 5K hitch although some may go up to 7,5K. Either way, many folks seem to not rely strickly on the factory setup and weld in extra supports to the frame. Don't forget to look into the tongue weight as this could be a factor before the GTW weights.

Jim

p.s. I'm willing to admit that I'm not ballsy enough to attempt a double tow! If I had the set-up in post #54, I would instead just throw the aluminum boat or canoe on the trailer rack with the car and just do a single tow.

Between this and "that other thread" you sure do have a good line on "interesting" pictures.

I'm clearly internetting poorly.

I'd like to see where the sauce for that pic, see if they lay out how it all fits together, and see it rolling down the road (or river?)

Back