• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine compartment

Reedbr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I apologize in advance if this has been asked. I have a 2019 FSH210 that I put in saltwater for the first time. I will of course be flushing the engines. I will also be rinsing the boat/trailer with salt away, but the one thing I’m unsure about is the engine compartment. Is it insulated enough from the salt, or does everyone rinse the engines themselves?

Thanks in advance

Before you put it in salt, spray down the engine (when cool) with YamaLube. Hit everything with that stuff, and then let it dry. Then just make sure to repeat that process every few outings to keep up with it. YamaLube is amazing stuff, when it drives it leaves a think protective coating on everything.

I boat strictly in saltwater and as @anmut mentioned, the first thing I did was coat everything in the engine compartment , hinges, cables etc... with YamaLube. I have used other lubes on other parts, but mostly stick to Yama lube in the engine compartment.

Since saltwater can still get in the bilge, i also wash down, with no pressure from the hose, the bottom section of the engine compartment so that it can get into the bilge. Occasionally also splash freshwater on the engine itself and the accessories in that area.

Which YamaLube product are you using ? The silicone spray ?

Correct, I use Yamashield which is the same formula as BoeShield if im not mistaken. I also used the SIlicone spray, but for some reason this one seems to last a bit longer.
On the pump/cables and trailer etc... I use Corrosion X in the green can. Sticks around long, but its nasty stuff.

Correct, I use Yamashield which is the same formula as BoeShield if im not mistaken. I also used the SIlicone spray, but for some reason this one seems to last a bit longer.
On the pump/cables and trailer etc... I use Corrosion X in the green can. Sticks around long, but its nasty stuff.
On your trailer you could try a product called Fluid Film, great rust preventer and lubricators. Takes years to wash off.

On your trailer you could try a product called Fluid Film, great rust preventer and lubricators. Takes years to wash off.

I'll give that a shot, always looking at products to keep my trailer lasting a long time, lol.

I'm 100% salt. It gets everywhere and anywhere. Put your camera phone down at the bottom of the engine bay (along the sides and as far back as you can get it) and slowly video everything and do it on both sides. Go slow and steady. This will give you an indication of your starting point of cleanliness and you will see things you cannot get to with a spray can. There are steel pinch clamps on the water lines (why oh why steel? Yamaha) that take a beating from rust no matter salt or not. Plus you can get a good look at the condition of the starter (wiring connections). Lube everything and anything that you can get to whether aerosol or pump. I buy WD-40 in gallon form and put it in a spray bottle to get to places that the aerosol can will be upside down and useless. Trailer...I'm experimenting with MX Chain Wax... will look at the Fluid Film. Thanks!

I boat strictly in saltwater and as @anmut mentioned, the first thing I did was coat everything in the engine compartment , hinges, cables etc... with YamaLube. I have used other lubes on other parts, but mostly stick to Yama lube in the engine compartment.

Since saltwater can still get in the bilge, i also wash down, with no pressure from the hose, the bottom section of the engine compartment so that it can get into the bilge. Occasionally also splash freshwater on the engine itself and the accessories in that area.

I do as @1WetBoat mentioned and spray the bottom section of the engine compartment after every single outing. I have a long-handled sprayer with a low-pressure-shower setting that lets me get to the undersides of the engines. The engine mounts in particular should be rinsed, as well as the big hose clamps at the rear firewall of the engine compartment.

I also do the far port and starboard components of the engines, because saltwater that falls onto the below-gunnel gutters (there are hidden gutters where the deck plate meets the hull) can splash down from those outer ledges onto the engines.

I don't go crazy with Yamashield. In the engine compartment, I spray Yamashield on *everything* just once a year. When I rinse the engine compartment with freshwater, if there are any salt stains on the Yamashield-coated surfaces, they rinse right off.

I have a shelf inside of my helm locker where I keep one of each type of Yamashield, ready for use as needed. Pro tip — if you're going to store Yamashield on the boat, spray the cans themselves with Yamashield so the cans don't rust!!!

I also keep a spray bottle filled with a solution of SaltAway on the boat, which I use to spot-treat things, including my fishing reels.

Give fluid film a try especially on trailer parts coat the leaf springs at the end of the season and any bolts on the trailer. I use on the engine and the hose clamps that are down low in the bilge. Rust is mainly from the mixture of iron oxygen and moisture (water) . Fluid film helps block the oxygen and moisture better than all the other items I have used. Similar to fluid film is PB blaster surface shield.

Back