• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine Cover Insulation Suggestions

Vinman117

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good Afternoon,
Can anyone recommend a good noise reduction and heat insulation for the engine cover of my 2015 Yamaha SX190. I’ve been looking at the the Killmat and Siless Pro products. What would be a sufficient mil? 80, 100 or higher? Does anyone have a different manufacture/product?
I already put A/C foam strips around the outside and it works great in lowering the noise. But now the factory engine compartment insulation has come off. My bandaid fix is no longer holding it on. The foam just disintegrated. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

unknown.jpg

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Check out this site, they will have what you’re looking for. I went with thick/dense foam with adhesive on one side and foil on the other side. Topped some of it off with thick egg crate foam as well. Consider the sound absorbing percentage, need for heat resistance and of coarse cost when choosing material. Weight is also something to consider since it will be on the bottom of an already big and heavy compartment door. Weight will also factor big into shipping costs.

Vinman117

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi. Thank you. I’ll check into them.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Mass loading will do as much to reduce your performance as it does to reduce the sound on these boats. What you want is closed cell foam sound insulation. Open cell works even better, but will allso be much more prone to water absorption and mold. If you really want to kill some of the noise, the most notable thing you can do is insulate the rear of the boat. You have to remove the tray where the cleanout access is to get back there. That area is the root of the problem because the sound waves get trapped and resonate through the hull.

jetboatjay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length

Vinman117

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mass loading will do as much to reduce your performance as it does to reduce the sound on these boats. What you want is closed cell foam sound insulation. Open cell works even better, but will allso be much more prone to water absorption and mold. If you really want to kill some of the noise, the most notable thing you can do is insulate the rear of the boat. You have to remove the tray where the cleanout access is to get back there. That area is the root of the problem because the sound waves get trapped and resonate through the hull.
Thank you so much. It makes sense to insulate back there. I’m going to have the cover off so that would be a good time to do it. 👍👍👍

Vinman117

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey @Vinman117, I just did this last winter to my AR195 and it made a huge difference this past summer. I went with the egg crate foam, 1.5 inch thick.

I bought these off of Amazon.
LEIYER 12 Pack Self-adhesive Sound Proof Foam Panels, 1.5" X 12" X 12", Acoustic Foam Panels with High Density,Soundproof Foam Panels for Decreasing N
Thanks for the info. Just went on Amazon and they are unavailable at this time. I’ll keep my eye out for these or similar in-stock product. I’ll use a foil covering over the engine and these along the side and back. 👍👍

Tobes

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Did you ever do anything?

I used Armaflex sheet rubber. Attached it with 520 adhesive on the old boat. Worked well. Ripped off the cheap stuff on my 2015 and did the engine hatch, side panels, and the gas tank floor cover.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Vinman117

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you ever do anything?

I used Armaflex sheet rubber. Attached it with 520 adhesive on the old boat. Worked well. Ripped off the cheap stuff on my 2015 and did the engine hatch, side panels, and the gas tank floor cover.
Yes. I bought this off Amazon. 40”x40” fit perfectly in one piece. 8DF07092-2944-4B15-8336-B71B4D039764.jpegA607D9D3-A842-4682-8C14-D02129CBE2EE.png