• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Engine Fogging Yamaha 255XD (check Your Boats Engine Compartment for Junk)

MarkG33

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
So I have a new 255xd from Yamaha with the superchaged engines.

--- Side note, check the pic below. This was in the bottom of my brand new boat's engine compartment ---PXL_20231104_215500407~2.jpg

I am a long way from my dealership and they have been not the best to work with so I am doing the winterizaition:
- Oil and Filter changes for each engine
- Fuel stabilizer 1oz per gallon
- Fogging the engines
- I got all my supplies from Jetboatpilot.com and they have been great to work with. Extrement helpful. Will Owen actually called me on his way in one day to answer a question I had.

I have seen different fogging techniques and here is what a Yamaha service technician told me they do and its actually pretty simple.

- Take the engine covers off to explose the spark plugs.
- Remove the wires with a 10mm socket and then take the plugs out with a 5/8 plug socket
- Spray fogging oil directly into the plug hole for a count of 10 per hole.
- Put the plugs back in, reattach the wires
- Crank the engine over. The tech said you do not have to run the engine til fog comes out but you can if you want. He said they don't evern care if the engine turns on just needs to turn over.

I've see this done by removing the air filter box and spraying in there while the engine is running at about 2k rpm but the tech said they never do it that way. He said they just focus on making sure its in each of the cyliders and they do not worry about fogging the supercharger.

I feel your frustration. No pride in workmanship these days. We have all dropped tools and parts in our hulls but pretty sure 99% would not just leave it. Hopefully it was not a hose clamp that fell off but merely dropped and replaced during installation. I plan on taking hours/days going through my boat when I take delivery.

10 seconds is a very long time to spray fogging oil in the cylinder, most of the instructions on the cans I have seen say two seconds and move the straw around. Then, leaving the plugs out, with the safety lanyard pulled and a towel over the plug holes engage the starter for about two seconds, then reinstall the plugs. Is your boat being stored out doors? Where are you located?

Some fogging oil also needs to be sprayed into the throttle body to apply that oil to the electronic throttle valve butterfly, that is in the Yamaha shop manual. This is especially true if you are in salt water. You just want a light mist on things to prevent surface rust. I think cycle springs installs a fogging port on the intake elbow.

Yeah the hose clamp is not good... some folks find engine shims down there as well. There is a lot of debris left over from production on these boats, you be well advised to put the nose of the boat up in the drive way and flush the bilge out well from the bow to the stern, be sure and check your bilge pump screen too. Looks like a lot of sand in there too, did the boat come with that as well? I'm not justifying the crap in the bilge but these boats are not Grady's or Boston's...and our boats are not nearly as expensive as those boats are. There is a lot of stuff you should go over in the boat just to make sure everything is good. There is a link in the FAQ about the ultimate leak finding thread, go through that and start checking your boat over. You have all winter to get everything sorted out and you will have plenty to keep you busy.

Just going off what the tech at Yamaha dealership said on the fogging. I did it, put the plugs in and started it up. Nice spoke out the back and its done.

The boat is freshwater, Lake Michigan and has never been in water more shallow than 15 feet so I am guessing that was factory debris.

Pretty frustrating as the dealership claims to have done all this stuff before we took delivery.

10 seconds is a very long time to spray fogging oil in the cylinder, most of the instructions on the cans I have seen say two seconds and move the straw around. Then, leaving the plugs out, with the safety lanyard pulled and a towel over the plug holes engage the starter for about two seconds, then reinstall the plugs. Is your boat being stored out doors? Where are you located?

Some fogging oil also needs to be sprayed into the throttle body to apply that oil to the electronic throttle valve butterfly, that is in the Yamaha shop manual. This is especially true if you are in salt water. You just want a light mist on things to prevent surface rust. I think cycle springs installs a fogging port on the intake elbow.

Yeah the hose clamp is not good... some folks find engine shims down there as well. There is a lot of debris left over from production on these boats, you be well advised to put the nose of the boat up in the drive way and flush the bilge out well from the bow to the stern, be sure and check your bilge pump screen too. Looks like a lot of sand in there too, did the boat come with that as well? I'm not justifying the crap in the bilge but these boats are not Grady's or Boston's...and our boats are not nearly as expensive as those boats are. There is a lot of stuff you should go over in the boat just to make sure everything is good. There is a link in the FAQ about the ultimate leak finding thread, go through that and start checking your boat over. You have all winter to get everything sorted out and you will have plenty to keep you busy.

Just going off what the tech at Yamaha dealership said on the fogging. I did it, put the plugs in and started it up. Nice spoke out the back and its done.

The boat is freshwater, Lake Michigan and has never been in water more shallow than 15 feet so I am guessing that was factory debris.

Pretty frustrating as the dealership claims to have done all this stuff before we took delivery.

Got that and all good ! Get’er cleaned up and ready for next season!

I am a long way from my dealership and they have been not the best to work with so I am doing the winterizaition:

- Crank the engine over. The tech said you do not have to run the engine til fog comes out but you can if you want. He said they don't evern care if the engine turns on just needs to turn over.

Congrats on saving yourself hundreds of dollars. Now that you realize how easy it is, you will never justify taking it to a dealership to do this.

On the technicians note, I think it may have been misunderstood. Not that he cared if it turns on, you don not want it to turn it. Cranking over gets fogging oil on the cylinder walls. Starting up just burns off the oil you just put in the cylinder. So no, you do not want it to fire up.

I will let the folks with SC 1.8ltr engines chime in, but I do believe there is a specific fogging technique for those with SC engines. You may want to consult a service manual, or ask someone that actually knows. But some have said there is potential of damage if fogged incorrectly.

Back