• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FSH 222 Sport trolling battery mount ideas

JPboat012

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hello,

I am going to get the dealer to move the trolling motor batteries to the head compartment ( they installed it under port bow rider seat. Yeah, completely lost the whole storage area ).
I took the picture of the head compartment. I could see that you could either put the batteries in middle or towards starboard ( still be centered, but little towards right doesn't seem like it will fit two batteries though).I wanted to see how others have installed theirs on their 222 model. Currently with batteries on port side made the boat leaning on that side unless I fill out the livewell ( ~200 lbs).

IMG_0111.jpg

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
usually there is a dedicated shelf for the batteries, and that shelf will hold three batteries, is that pic looking forward or aft?Maybe a better picture would help ?

Something like that

D7D9AFE5-A4AF-4972-9D98-C5F96B652FBA.jpeg

Last edited:

JPboat012

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
usually there is a dedicated shelf for the batteries, and that shelf will hold three batteries, is that pic looking forward or aft?Maybe a better picture would help ?

Something like that
That definitely looks much larger and flatter than the 222 head compartment.
It is facing aft. Where my hand is the entrance to the head compartment. Towards my hand, there's a space for two batteries, and that starboardside where I commented " Mount battery Charger?" could hold 3rd battery.
I wonder as they made the 222 gunwale higher, they made the head compartment more narrower. :(
@ClemsonTigers and @AlpharettaRK, where did the dealer install your trolling motor batteries?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That definitely looks much larger and flatter than the 222 head compartment.
It is facing aft. Where my hand is the entrance to the head compartment. Towards my hand, there's a space for two batteries, and that starboardside where I commented " Mount battery Charger?" could hold 3rd battery.
I wonder as they made the 222 gunwale higher, they made the head compartment more narrower. :(
@ClemsonTigers and @AlpharettaRK, where did the dealer install your trolling motor batteries?
On the other FSH models the battery shelf, like mine, is forward in the head compartment and goes up underneath the deck, so if you had your back on the wall in your picture the shelf would be in front of you. Does your boat not have that shelf?

AlpharettaRK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Mine are in the center shelf forward in the head compartment. I think just where your 1& 2 are. The charger is on the port side wall with a plug by my feet under the helm. Seems a good arrangement and pretty standard.

JPboat012

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks @AlpharettaRK. I contacted Yamaha support, and they were talking about putting it on the white shelf where the helm instruments are ( which has no room for batteries)... after discussing more on the call, they are going to get back to me. Good to know yours is on the forward shelf.

Does your head compartment stays dry? mine seems to get filled with water whenever I wash down the deck... and water seems to sipping through the bottom of that whiteboard where the helm is.

Trying to identify everything before I get the boat to the dealer for 10 hr service and the trolling battery moved.

Last edited:

AlpharettaRK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yes head compartment stays dry. And First Mate (wife) washes it down every time. You should ask dealer to look at it but don’t expect much. This whole industry seems to charge Porsche prices and give “island time” service.

JPboat012

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So, I just got the answer back from the Yamaha Technical support team. They said with the 2023 222 models they built the big white shelf area for the trolling batteries. Looking at it, it may fit two on port side of the shelf. I am posting the picture of the shelf they are describing. It's literally where the helm instrument is covered with the fabric with a bungee cord..

Water on the bottom looks like the dealer may be plugged the drain plug between the center console and engine compartment, so any water getting in from rain/washing didn't get drained to the bilge pump or the hull drain at the end of the day.

behind the helm instruments from head compartment.jpg

AlpharettaRK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'll have to see what's behind the curtain next time I'm at the lake. I like better where mine are with the weight centered and more forward. Don't need to add to the port list. What is the grey box with the P & S? (port & starboard I assume)

JPboat012

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yeah I wonder what that box exactly is... I would like to know if they could move that box so we could put the battery more on center, so when livewell is filled its not leaning towards starboard side -_-

I'll keep you updated when I find out more on that box

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Is there no shelf under the deck and forward in the head compartment?

I doubt that starboard shelf would is going to support two or three lead acid batteries.

Do you have a sport E boat? That box is marked Port / Starboard and I’ll venture a guess those are the reverse gate actuators???

JPboat012

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
There is a shelf at the center under the deck and forward where I marked "1 2" on the orginal picture.
That's where AlpharettaRK's 222 Sport E ( same model as mine ) has his two batteries mounted.
Even though the Yamaha support tells me the white shelf is where trolling battery goes, I think I will end up putting the batteries at center "1 2" location for better weight distribution..

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
There is a shelf at the center under the deck and forward where I marked "1 2" on the orginal picture.
That's where AlpharettaRK's 222 Sport E ( same model as mine ) has his two batteries mounted.
Even though the Yamaha support tells me the white shelf is where trolling battery goes, I think I will end up putting the batteries at center "1 2" location for better weight distribution..
Im confused, in post #3 you stated that picture was looking aft and that your hand was on the opening of the head compartment… in all the FSH boats the battery shelf would be directly under you when taking the pic looking aft.

crude drawing….is that not how your head compartment is?

4892DE2C-4573-475D-A0F2-1289C617B34E.jpeg

JPboat012

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I tried to add-on from your drawing ;)
So the "1 2" shelf is there under the deck, but the shelf doesn't go wide nor deep. You could only fit two batteries ( this is why I put "1 2" on the picture to show 1st and 2nd batteries) and they would be poking out like the picture I took.

Screenshot 2023-09-27 at 7.47.14 PM.png

IMG_0111 (1).jpg

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Wowzer!

So the 5 gallon bucket locker must run back pretty far and be larger than it is on my boat?

That’s a perfect drawing!

Bottom Bracket

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I would leave them where they are currently installed, further forward and less wire. I keep a cassette toilet in the spot you are putting batteries.
Mine is mounted in the cubby behind the anchor locker, 195 sport.

JPboat012

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Wowzer!

So the 5 gallon bucket locker must run back pretty far and be larger than it is on my boat?

That’s a perfect drawing!
Haha I just copied off from your drawing :) I would have to measure it between the wall of the bucket locker and the head compartment wall, but yeah it really does seem like they limited the space of the floor of head compartment on this model. Even the bottom of head compartment is not so flat and more V shape. It's most likely due to getting the deck lower and keeping the head compartment height the same as previous model.

I would leave them where they are currently installed, further forward and less wire. I keep a cassette toilet in the spot you are putting batteries.
Mine is mounted in the cubby behind the anchor locker, 195 sport.
Yeah, I can't leave it on the port side under the bow rider seat. It's literally tilting the boat on port side with ~200 lbs plus will be wasting the whole port side dry storage. Center of the boat makes sense with that weight and even the yamaha tech specified head compartment is where the trolling battery should go for this model.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Haha I just copied off from your drawing :) I would have to measure it between the wall of the bucket locker and the head compartment wall, but yeah it really does seem like they limited the space of the floor of head compartment on this model. Even the bottom of head compartment is not so flat and more V shape. It's most likely due to getting the deck lower and keeping the head compartment height the same as previous model.

Well thats a bit of a drag… something not mentioned at all in both Boat Test and Boating magazines test articles / video‘s. Still an awesome boat for sure!

Yeah, I can't leave it on the port side under the bow rider seat. It's literally tilting the boat on port side with ~200 lbs plus will be wasting the whole port side dry storage. Center of the boat makes sense with that weight and even the yamaha tech specified head compartment is where the trolling battery should go for this model.
You can see the list in your profile picture…. And as you mention you want to have the weight centralized as much as possible, and have that transient storage in the bow available for day to day stuff and not occupied by a bunch of batteries that could have acid on them.

I’m assuming you have a 24 volt Trolling motor? If so which one? If not which one? I don’t know what size batteries you have, I’m going to assume two group 27 or 31 lead acid batteries, I know it would be a big chunk of money, but you could go with a single 75 Ah 24V LiFePO4 battery for your trolling motor, you’d have close to three times the useable KWh‘s and and about 1/5th the weight if your two batteries are group 27 and are 90Ah’s each.

75Ah 12V Group 24 LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Battery Roughly .99 KWh’s

Or even greater KWh‘s if you were to put two 100Ah LiFePO4 batteries in series, that would be approx 2.6KWh’s or roughly quadruple the run time of the lead acids you have.

I went with LiFePO4 batteries for my 36V Rip Tide Ulterra and my house Battery as well, I made a thread and had some great input from other members here, it was a journey but all the home work is done for you in the thread, again, I know it is a big chunk of money, I can tell you that so far the results have been amazing when compared to the group 27 lead acid batteries that I had in there before, once I put in the Victron chargers the charge time went from 12-14 hours with my Minnkota chargers to to 3.5 hours, the run time doubled, and I saved 100# of weight.

Check it out here: https://jetboaters.net/threads/conversion-to-lifepo-batteries.35834/

Last edited:

Bottom Bracket

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Cut a hole for a hatch where the bow table leg mounts, looks like dead space from the file images.
Switch to lighter batteries.

Bottom Bracket

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
35lb battery mounted on centerline, originally I wanted the battery in the changing room, this has worked out well, wife is really getting to like the changing room. The cassette toilet is still in the box, fits perfect in the forward area with room for 2 spare life jackets on top a 2 8" fenders on the side.20230425_135429.jpg
Obviously your boat is larger.
Maybe move 1 battery to the other side?
How much you gonna use the troller?
I am running a nextgen with blue tooth,
Complete battery status from my phone in a holder on the console.