• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Got a new towing rig! ...and mods to 1500 Ram

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@veedubtek wow, great to hear, how are you going to use it, daily driver, do you regularly tow other than the boat ? really curious to hear your real life mpg, keep us updated!

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nah. I'll probably drive it tomorrow just because I really haven't got to look at it yet, but otherwise she'll be parked most of the time. I've got diesel cars too, so, 55mpg > 28mpg. Maybe I'll drive it more, we'll see how much I like it first, lol. Seems cool so far, and just HAS to get better than the 11mpg's my Tundra got towin the boat!

woodard1983

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was interested in the ecodiesel, but couldn't pass up all the goodies that the extra $$ in motor/maintenance costs...in quite jealous!! Don't forget to tease us w/pics!!

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah, I'll snap some pics tomorrow. And probably order my Tonneau and back up cam. *should* be the only mods to the truck for awhile...

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wanted the Extang Encore. Had that on my Silverado and loved it! Looks like it isn't available for the short bed though. Probably getting a Bakflip.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bad news.....
It rained hard last night, it was the first long rain since I purchased the new Ram. I came outside this morning and opened up my rear passenger door to put my son into his child seat and there it was...water!!! Everywhere!! #%%+^!!

After some quick research (what did we do before the Internet?) I found many people with the same complaint on Gen 4 Rams. Apparently, the Gen 4 rams have a bad 3rd brake light gasket. The gasket is very thin and does not seal properly. Really? For 4 years Ram has ignored this? Ugh.

So, off to my workshop I went and found some weather seal to put on myself to save losing my truck for 2 days and 2 hours of my life delivering and picking up my truck. If you have a gen 4 Ram be on the lookout for leaky 3rd brake light. Other than a wet headliner, seat and floor look for moisture inside the brake light.

My new 3rd brake light with the camera has a robust weather seal on it but I'm not ready to install it yet.

image.jpg image.jpg

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Make sure you save those photos and document it well. If by chance Chrysler is as stupid as VW, there are probably computers on the floor somewhere. If you have a problem later from water getting in them now, and they trace the water leak back to the light, and find your seal on it, they could deny any warranty coverage.

Good lookin out though. I'll be sure to take a close peek at mine next time it rains here.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've got many pics but I'll be installing the new light with camera soon. If I have some catostophic damage, I'll be off to to junk yard and find a bad sealing one!!

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nothing special really. Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 crew with uconnect 5, trailer brake control, 3.55 gears.

20150207_095516.jpg

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've got a 2014 RAM 1500 Big Horn 4x4 and love it! Not much for mods but a spray bed liner, side steps and Extang tri-fold solid tonneau. I am using it as a daily driver and getting about 18 mpg with the 5.7 Hemi. The technology in these things is great, tons of info on the instrument cluster and nice phone integration (Uconnect 5.0). I use my phone for nav, mounted on a Ram mount on top of the dash, slick set up. I am thinking there must be a Ram mount for the tower on my 212x, that and a water resistant cover might be good for the phone to use for GPS or tunes.

I will have to check that 3rd brake light seal but I will have to wait a while for some rain, all I get right now is the fluffy white stuff...

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
200 miles and first check engine light! Lol. Shoulda figured from all my research

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
200 miles and first check engine light! Lol. Shoulda figured from all my research
Ouch! Hope it's the first and LAST for a long while.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Look what's coming later this year ... 2015 Laramie Limited. Looks nice except the giant Ram badge on the tailgate.

image.jpg

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That tailgate is hideous! Grill ain't much better.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That tailgate is hideous! Grill ain't much better.
Agree on the tailgate but I do like the grill. They did some nice interior upgrades like a roll out cover over the console storage rather than having the ugly open square bin.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Indeed. I love the interior. Huge upgrade over mine (tradesman)

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Indeed. I love the interior. Huge upgrade over mine (tradesman)
I think my next truck will be a limited 2025!! I've had a 2000 2500 SLT 4x4 with every option, 2005 SLT with mid level options, and now a 2014 Laramie.

They better take that aweful tailgate badge off! Who approved that???