• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Grilled foil packs and pans for grilling on the boat

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Foil packs of shrimp, corn and sausage have become our goto meal for boat dinners. More recently I switched from a foil pack to to using 9.5x6.5 disposable pans covered with foil. I place the corn on the bottom where it will absorb the majority of heat and protect the meats. The shrimp goes in the middle frozen with Cajun spice added and the sausage sliced and layered on top. The frozen shrimp keep the meal cool into the evening avoiding the need for space in the fridge.

Last week we had guests who do not eat shrimp so I added a second pan with fajita chicken. I fully cooked the chicken at home to reduce salmonella risk.

99811628-D5DD-4452-893D-FF8FF39ACD9C.jpeg2D3A7914-1B67-425B-8AA0-3F484CAF1213.jpeg23310D8C-F654-46EA-BDBB-18CB37646AA6.jpeg

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You use precooked sausage?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You use precooked sausage?
For this I use kielbasa or andouille that is fully cured. It tastes better after time on the grill but is safe to eat out of the package.

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is a great idea. PreCooked sausages and let the shrimp cook up during the reheat process. Thanks for the inspiration.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Foil packs of shrimp, corn and sausage have become our goto meal for boat dinners. More recently I switched from a foil pack to to using 9.5x6.5 disposable pans covered with foil. I place the corn on the bottom where it will absorb the majority of heat and protect the meats. The shrimp goes in the middle frozen with Cajun spice added and the sausage sliced and layered on top. The frozen shrimp keep the meal cool into the evening avoiding the need for space in the fridge.

Last week we had guests who do not eat shrimp so I added a second pan with fajita chicken. I fully cooked the chicken at home to reduce salmonella risk.

View attachment 186429View attachment 186430View attachment 186431
Dude! That’s making me hungry just looking at those pics!

What a great idea for meal prep on the boat!

How long do you let it cook for ?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How long do you let it cook for ?
From frozen I try to give it about 30 minutes on 3/4 heat. Then I open the foil, stir and keep cooking until all the shrimp appear cooked. I often pass a plate of what is done to the kids while the rest finishes.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
From frozen I try to give it about 30 minutes on 3/4 heat. Then I open the foil, stir and keep cooking until all the shrimp appear cooked. I often pass a plate of what is done to the kids while the rest finishes.
Right on thanks! That sounds really really good! I may have to go ahead and get that grill and set it up so I can take friends out for a dinner cruise at least once before the season is over!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Right on thanks! That sounds really really good! I may have to go ahead and get that grill and set it up so I can take friends out for a dinner cruise at least once before the season is over!
Mine is a Magma Cabo that I bought at the end of 2013. Lots of use, five Bimini trips and still working perfectly.

The least expensive Magmas are round. You could use a round foil pan in with a round grill.

The more expensive Magmas have built in lighters and thermometers. I have not needed either but have considered buying those parts and adding to my cheap Magma.

This is a great meal for sharing with guests. Especially since I can cook for 8+ at the same time.

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length

Next time, cut the corn into 1" thick pinwheels. They are way easier to eat!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Next time, cut the corn into 1" thick pinwheels. They are way easier to eat!
Interesting idea. They also would do a better job of covering the bottom. I will try it Saturday.

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Try adding clams as well, goes really well! I usually use Old Bay seasoning when I make mine, but cajun seasoning sounds good too! I usually make individual servings in foil packs as well so everyone can just grab one and put on a plate.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

What size grill are you using Bruce? Do you have a suggestion for a grill size? I see that magma makes a 9x12 (mesquite) grill and a 9x18 grill (Baja) was also thinking of the rod holder mount… I like the idea of the infra red type (newport) since it burns up the grease drippings… your thoughts?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What size grill are you using Bruce? Do you have a suggestion for a grill size? I see that magma makes a 9x12 (mesquite) grill and a 9x18 grill (Baja) was also thinking of the rod holder mount… I like the idea of the infra red type (newport) since it burns up the grease drippings… your thoughts?
Mine is a 9x18 Cabo. I mounted it at the bow as that was the spot with the least traffic while cooking. The grill body is well engineered but thin and gets very hot. Anyone who touched it while cooking or for a while after would be burned.

I like infrared cooking on my large Weber at home as it mostly eliminates fatty food catching on fire. On the boat the Magma Cabo’s drip tray rarely catches much grease. It seems to burn off well. I try not to grill really fatty foods on the boat to reduce the need to clean the grill. Hotdogs and steaks are fine but burgers will make a mess inside the grill. These foil packs do not make a mess at all.

This post covers my bow mount with a level lock attachment. https://jetboaters.net/threads/mounting-magma-grill-on-the-bow.2842/

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ve done brats on my Cabo a couple of times and had some pretty good flare ups. It’s not ideal for super greasy foods when mounted on the boat but it is well designed and sealed so it doesn’t leak other than into the drip tray.

The most annoying aspect I’ve found is the unsecured 3-piece grate, they slide all over. Not sure why they would do that? It’s not like the grill folds up.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Mine is a 9x18 Cabo. I mounted it at the bow as that was the spot with the least traffic while cooking. The grill body is well engineered but thin and gets very hot. Anyone who touched it while cooking or for a while after would be burned.

I like infrared cooking on my large Weber at home as it mostly eliminates fatty food catching on fire. On the boat the Magma Cabo’s drip tray rarely catches much grease. It seems to burn off well. I try not to grill really fatty foods on the boat to reduce the need to clean the grill. Hotdogs and steaks are fine but burgers will make a mess inside the grill. These foil packs do not make a mess at all.

This post covers my bow mount with a level lock attachment. https://jetboaters.net/threads/mounting-magma-grill-on-the-bow.2842/
Thank you Bruce!

I appreciate the information which will help me buy the correct grill, since they are so expensive which I do not mind since they seem to be good grills, now that I know the grill size it will just be down to whether or not to go full boat (see what I did there?) and get the infra red grill… as I’d want to be able to use it for any type of food, but your meal(s) sound like the bomb for entertaining people, when the meal is done the foil pan just gets folded up into a small package and tossed into the 5 gallon buck in the floor locker.

And also thank you for the warning on how hot the sides get.. that will hopefully make for less injuries/burns. How many of us have grabbed that knurled knob atop the Coleman lantern just to make sure it is tight while the lantern is on??? You only do that once.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’ve done brats on my Cabo a couple of times and had some pretty good flare ups. It’s not ideal for super greasy foods when mounted on the boat but it is well designed and sealed so it doesn’t leak other than into the drip tray.

The most annoying aspect I’ve found is the unsecured 3-piece grate, they slide all over. Not sure why they would do that? It’s not like the grill folds up.
Three pieced grate? Like the flame deflector or something? Do you have the little tray that clips onto the front of the grill?

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Three pieced grate? Like the flame deflector or something? Do you have the little tray that clips onto the front of the grill?
The wire grate itself is 3 sections that are about 6” wide each. I could probably just tack weld them together on the ends. There is a separate flame deflector that clips into the grill.

I have the tray, it’s a nice addition.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The wire grate itself is 3 sections that are about 6” wide each. I could probably just tack weld them together on the ends. There is a separate flame deflector that clips into the grill.

I have the tray, it’s a nice addition.
Great! Thanks for your reply!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Another question:

If you have the rod holder mount on the grill, how does it come off so you can stow it in the bag? Are the little legs it comes with still on the grill so that you can either use it with the legs or the rod holder mount?