• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Harkers Island, NC / Cape Lookout 8/3-8/5

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
that's a nice run from Beaufort inlet to Lookout bight on the outside. Watch the tides, I've seen some good haystacks where the currents meet. They were a ball on the waverunner, a challenge on the 212x. I'll add another detail. the stretch along the Beaufort waterfront is a LOOOOONG no wake zone.....if its a hot day you'll cook yourself. there's some nice houses on the east half, a marina for fuel/snacks. but I found the the western 1/3 was where most of the interest was.
the inside of the shackelford banks has beautiful beaches and are protected for a nice anchor drop
I accidentally went on the Oceanside of Shakleford Banks looking for a path to Cape Lookout— I specially remember seeing the Ft Macon peninsula and flag. That was right about the time the chop took a turn for the worse plus the boat traffic got too much for me. Not a fan of that route.

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
Hmm. Certainly not opposed to more boating, I was kinda thinking Beaufort anyway (or maybe even New Bern).

@Joshua Miller - launching on the 3rd, camping 2 nights, and returning on the 5th is our plan.
Was the plan tent camping on the beach I assume? I checked the lodges that @justason mentioned but they are all booked for that weekend.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Correct sir, we'll be tent camping.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Always wanted to do this..... But I'll be in Disneyland that weekend

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've used radio island boat ramp. 4 or 5 lanes if I remember. It’s really nice has a bathhouse. But it was really busy. It’s around 13ish miles to light house.
26BF68B2-3223-490B-85C6-FB09DDA41AF7.png

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just a heads up they took the channel markers out from Harkers island to cape lookout. Found out yesterday. Navionics is still accurate

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just a heads up they took the channel markers out from Harkers island to cape lookout. Found out yesterday. Navionics is still accurate
That sucks! So you went the back way and not out into the ocean?

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes. I pulled my daughter skiing and I was hoping to surf but ran into a bunch of jelly fish on the way there and the kids were asleep on the way back. Water was gorgeous. Water level was low all day

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'll have to attempt that run some day. First the Shackleford/Sand dollar island run.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
good grief...thats like removing the lane paint on rte 95 thru DC !!

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a friend that works for wildlife. He said the coast guard was tired of maintaining the markers bc the channel was always moving.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Marvin willis ... I so want to do this... we went to the light house in November one year but it was too cold to go ashore ...
Hey Mike !! .... anyone venturing out there: be aware there are alot of sand bars submerged at high tide that are well above sea level come low tide. That image shows an obvious one. I had tied off to the posts to the right of the pier in view, walked around, when I got back my boat was starting to become beached. As nice as the lighthouse is, the area I enjoy a great deal there is inside of the shakleford banks, center/west area. depth is nice, beaches are nice, plently of parking and you can watch the bikinis boats drive by..

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length