• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Has anyone added a Garmin Echomap 70S to their 2012 240/242?

The ram mount for the garmin is attached to a ball which is mounted to the wall of the dash/console that faces the combing box (so opposite my cruise assist switch). When the arm is removed you can't see the ball without putting your head into the combing box / throttle area. The hard part about that mount was screening it into the wall. I drilled from inside the helm toward the combing box because the drill wouldn't fit the other way. It's i pretty slick set up since the mount is hidden and the leads store in the combing box they come through.

That is very slick @Ronnie , do you have any pics of the ball mount mounted, and the hole location where you ran the cable inside the cell phone holder in the combing pocket? What ram mount did you use? And I guess it articulates enough to get up and out of the gap and be useful, or is it pretty much one position due to clearance?

I will post some new pics later but the arm is 6" to 8" long and there is a ball at each end. I can move the arm and fish finder up and down almost 180 degrees.

It sounds like it isn't the short arm between the ball mounts. Is it the round base with 3 screw holes or is it the mini diamond 2 hole mount base? I'm just trying to get an idea of what fits there.

Here are some pics I just took. I was way off on the length of the arms. I think I was fooled by some of the other test fit pics I posted. Anyway, I've got a short arm going from the ball mounted to the side of the dash to another ball mounted to the bottom of the garmins carriage. It can swing up and down quite a bit but is still limited by how much the ball and stem can move within the arms sockets.

The iPad mini is two connected to two short arms so that I cam better position it to reduce glare depending on if I'm sitting or standing.

Lastly the hole i drilled in the combing box is on the front not side.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Thanks @Ronnie , that gives me a good idea of what I can do with a mount in that location. I don't want to lose that compartment, I put my cell phone and glasses in it occasionally. But plenty of places to take the cable through. Knowing that the mount will fit there is important however. Thanks for the effort to take new pics!

The 70S came in! Thanks for the mounting ideas. Because of the size, the universal mounting plate on the Ram is too short and the holes don't match. I had to order this one with an 11" plate. I kind of hate that. But it is what it is. I will trim the ends and paint if necessary.
GetImage-1.ashx.jpeg

The 70S came in! Thanks for the mounting ideas. Because of the size, the universal mounting plate on the Ram is too short and the holes don't match. I had to order this one with an 11" plate. I kind of hate that. But it is what it is. I will trim the ends and paint if necessary.
View attachment 15256

When I mounted my 2010 vintage 7" Garmin, there was no commercially available mount plate that fit the Garmin's cradle and the Ram mount.

I bought a piece of aluminum flat stock from Home Depot, cut it, deburred it, drilled the required holes, spray painted it black, and mounted it with short bolts and nylock nuts. Has worked flawlessly, looks OEM (and I am no craftsman) and cost me $10 or $12.

I didn't use a ram mount on my precious Garmin and 230 either. I bought, cut, and bent some aluminum flat stock too. It was a tad flimsy so I welded some braces on the sides of it too. It worked perfectly. The 240 dash is presenting more of a challenge as to where and how. I will alter the ram base if needed, but the articulating balls will give the ability to position better. I thought about just mounting the cradle direct to the hood of the dash too.

I attached an adhesive ram ball to the back of mine. If I had known how well it would hold I would have used adhesive mounts on both ends. It costs $10, takes up very little space and holds securely.
41l9ii9VAJL.jpg

But you had a Ram mount to attach to the ball? @Bruce

But you had a Ram mount to attach to the ball? @Bruce

I screwed a ram ball to the dash. Then I attached an adhesive ram ball to the Dragonfly. I used a double socket arm in the middle. If I was doing it again I would likely use an adhesive ram ball on the dash. I do not see any need for the mount bracket that you guys are buying or making.

The lightweight Ram mount, with 1" ball can be had for $29 with a universal plate. The plate is too small as is the 1" ball unit, to hold the 70S securely. You need the more sturdy one with the 1.5" ball, and that sucker from Ram is $129. I found it for $59 from the same store I got the plotter. In comparison, you can find the 1" ball arm alone for $12 on Amazon, but the 1.5" arm is $30. So no matter how you cut it, $59 for the heavier mount is a good deal. I tried piecing it together too, thinking I was going to have to make the plate anyway, and it was always more. The suction cups are good, but we use a double suction cup Ram Mount for the iPads on the jets. That sucker is good to 6 G's! But what we have learned, is if you leave them attached, they wear out fast, same with repeated removal and attachment, you just can't stretch the life very long. Keeping the surface clean and storing indoors when not in use will prolong the life, but the suction cup wears out. Having your iPad or $500 garmin fall isn't an option. I have had my company iPad fall, it is always because it wasn't removed/replaced correctly. Hmm, kinda sounds like clean out plugs! The one thing that may have been better, is to have bought a 1.5" ball with a threaded end, and just tapped a piece of flat stock that was custom fit to the plotter cradle. But I suspect I would still have been over the $59 mark.

I screwed a ram ball to the dash. Then I attached an adhesive ram ball to the Dragonfly. I used a double socket arm in the middle. If I was doing it again I would likely use an adhesive ram ball on the dash. I do not see any need for the mount bracket that you guys are buying or making.
The Garmin back has no room for the mount. Nor does the cradle. And your using a double socket arm. Ram? You see no need because you don't have the Garmin in your lap.

Also, you need the pivot capability of the cradle or some way to let it move. The reason for the ram mount is so I can pivot the whole thing out of the way when not running and using it.

Mine is not in the way to begin with. So no need to pivot it out of the way. But since it is mounted to two balls I can move it in any direction.

Where did you get the arm Bruce? Either way, you have the cost of two suction balls, and an arm,$30. And the larger and heavier miunt pieced together would be $60 at least. And...here are the pics, where would you suggest I stick the cup?image.jpg
image.jpg
This unit ia large and heavy. Maybe a mistake buying the 7" over the 5", but I wanted touchscreen.

I do like the idea of a Ram Ball mounted to the back of the unit...there just isn't any room. Getting rid of the cradle would be optimal if you didn't lose the positioning.

Pretty much the same with why the smaller and less expensive 1" ball isn't a good idea, the 70S weighs 7 pounds and is twice as heavy as was my G 431S, and mounting it on the end of an arm will be flimsy and not rigid. Garmin and Ram recommend the larger arm and balls for the 70 series units.

Mel, can you weigh the 70S display without the mount? I see the shipping weight as 6.6 pounds. But that includes, packing, manual transceiver, etc. If it is over 5 pounds then you need the 1.5" C size ball. If is under then you could use the 1" B size ball that I did.

Each ball is around $10 and the long double socket is around $18. So total cost to mount is around $40.

I think you nay be able to mount the adhesive ball at the bottom left or top center of back of the unit. My ball is mounted off center and works fine there.

If not I would consider using one of the threaded ram mount balls screwed into one of the factory mount points.

31mGF2e%2B2AL._SL500_SS100_.jpg

Last edited:
Back