• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Has anyone added a Garmin Echomap 70S to their 2012 240/242?

With more positioning, and @Bruce input, I may be willing to accept a direct miunt on the padded area in front of the switches. Still thinking about it. I could miunt the ram on the same padded area and give me good visibility over it, see all my switches, although seeing them isn't too important as long as I can get to them.
image.jpg
image.jpg
There is room behind to get to everything. But I think the ram extension arm with the ball base mounted where it is Sitting above, and extending above the dash will look and work best so far.

The Fusion deck looks great there !

The specs I have say it weighs 7 pounds. I will weigh it. Both Garmin and ram say it needs bigger balls! Go figure...hut in my hand, it's heavy, and having that bouncing on the end of a shaft...this really is getting out of hand:eek:

Ironically, I hadn't taken a single
Pic of the deck mounted in the boat...until today!

@txav8r ... I know this is way out of my league but how concerned are you with how fast you go...as in MPH?? If you were to use a Ram mount where the speedo is then it would be centered between the two RPM tachs or would they interfere with seeing those instruments?? Just a thought.

I answered a PM on YJB regarding my Garmin 720s mount a couple years ago. A bit larger but similar chassis size, ancestor of txav8r's model.
http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=48144&p=398343&hilit=720s#p398343

For those that may not have access to YJB, here are some of the pix from that post (note: I did not take a specific photo of the mounting plate adapter described earlier, but it can be seen in 2nd to last photo):

Wiring rest position plus RAM mount.JPG Mount and wiring feed hole.JPG Wiring rest position.JPG 720s full install from driver%27s view a.JPG 720s full install from driver%27s view.JPG

That unit without the cradle, cover, or wiring, weighs less than 4 pounds if my food scale is right. The mountings are on both ends of a unit that is much too small IMO, to hold a ball mount and support the thing. The threads penetrate less than a 1/4" into the units case and looks like it is pressed into the composite case. Ok, the manual says it weighs 2.31 pounds...not sure what all that includes.

@Jim Robeson , I think I would have to remove and make a new dash to panel mount it and move the existing gauges. I could use the speed from the chart plotter...I think, haven't played with the pages to see how accurate and affective it is. It has to see movement to figure speed, so slow speed may not be as accurate. But my own minimalist tendencies don't want to redo the dash. I have figured a way to mount it so that it may not block anything on the dash. Thanks for the ideas, I think it could be done, but just don't want to take on that big a project.

@GTBRMC , I don't have the excess room on the sidewall for the mount. The cradle on the newer 70s is sleek, and almost flush to the unit without the excessive opening at the bottom of it. It doesn't swivel however, it only tilts. So the Ram mount is looking better and better. I looked into how @Ronnie mounted his Ram and not sure I can get that big unit with a center mount out of the way of the sidewall or the window and be level. I can mount the base on the dash and it will give me the best of both worlds I think. I am considering how I may want to eliminate the cradle as @Bruce did, but so far, that option doesn't appear to be as doable without more fabrication.

All of your ideas, pics, suggestions have helped! I appreciate them! More to follow...

Well, the Ram mount is massive. The universal holes don't line up. And it is too tall for the most part to suit me. I like the adjustable capability, but once it is where you want it, that is where it will stay I am sure. So I am thinking I will just mount the Garmin cradle right where it is in the pics above, and return the mount. It is too large to mount between the combing pocket and the side wall of the dash like you did @Ronnie . There are options and it is very sturdy, and I could mount the cradle and trim the ends of the mount. I could even cut the mount down to suit me, but it is just too big. This is a much heavier mount than the 1" ball variety and I like how sturdy it is...but it just doesn't achieve a more desirable position that not using a Ram at all. And that little shelf there is talking to me, "use me baby, just use me"!

I'm getting the 70dv that west marine has for $650. Would love the see how you solve this. I would be willing to make a new dash all together but would need to make sure it fits in the dash space. I don't want to do more than a new dash. Not rebuild the helm.

@Dennis , we have two very different dashes, but regardless, it needs to function like you want it to, and not be an eye sore or hazard. I am going to install it directly on the small shelf, in the cradle it came with. Your DV model gives you more sonar capability than I needed since I won't be fishing with this boat. And the additional cost is for the transducer and software/firmware. Your 70dv is identical to my 70s hardware wise (not including the transducer)

Please share your mounting process for the transducer. I have to do one myself. Will do so in January and will post my experience as well. Thanks.

My plan at this point is to mount it to the transom, although the idea of a thru hull is desirable. That requires buying another, and more expensive transducer, than just mounting the external transom mount to the back. I have read of guys burying the transom mount in an epoxy bed inside the hull, but they have had limited success. The mass and sonar resistance of a hull and additional epoxy to complete a solid sonar connection with the water loses a great deal of signal as well as temperature. I don't want to lose either. So I will mount to the transom. Getting in the clean out tray compartment looks easier than on the 230 I had previously, and I will find that out shortly. Stay posted...

I am watching this thread as well...

I may buy a different finder just based on the mounting...lol

I just don't like the look of any of these mounting options...I guess I am unrealistic and need to get over the "bolt on" look...

I got a Garmin 547 for Xmas. Since i know I will have to remove it often, I opted to go with a combo Seasucker/Ram Mount for attaching the unit to the boat. That way when not in use, I will have a clean install. Location will be much as in the pictures above.

Waiting for parts so I do not have pictures yet. Google Seasucker mounts. I am using the 1.5" ball and short mounting arm for the Ram Mount. Will post pics later when I get everything in and installed.

@txav8r. Mel, did you ever get your Garmin mounted? I have the 741XS and the 2012 SX210 with a smaller dash than you. I bought a ran mount but it's too short. I am looking for ideas. Can you post pics if you are done with your install? Thanks

Matt

Sure Matt, @spaz1868 , I did finish it. I mounted on the dash as you can see. I don't know how your dash looks compared to my 240 dash. But there was a shelf that the mounting bracket fit perfectly on. It blocks the far right switches but I can see them sitting on the bolster and reach them easily. The pics will show the mount but not how easy that is. I am waiting on iPhone pics to send to my email so I can upload them.

I don't have that shelf unfortunately. I'll probably try the giant ugly RAM mount.

Mine has a little tray at knee height but it isnt wide enough for the base. It's more like a place for sunglasses to be stored.

Here is how I mounted it. Post a pic of your dash, I might have an idea! Have you seen the install I did on the '08 230 I had?
IMG_5722.JPG IMG_5726.JPG IMG_5724.JPG IMG_5725.JPG

Back