• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Head Storage Modifications

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I would add a second shelf to the '15's if I had one. Those shelves I put in both my boats, gets so much stuff in an easy to reach place without having to sort through so much. Still, I have to reach to get to some stuff!

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would add a second shelf to the '15's if I had one. Those shelves I put in both my boats, gets so much stuff in an easy to reach place without having to sort through so much. Still, I have to reach to get to some stuff!
Agreed, we had two shelves in the AR but the top shelf had the clothes rod on the bottom to hang life jackets on. I can't tell what's behind the vinyl in the 15's or how thick the plywood is, and I'm hesitant to start mounting things.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For you guys that have done stuff to *insert whatever boat has the padding on the inside of the head compartment here*, are you just running screws through the padding and fiberglass and wood? Drilling first? I desparately want to do something in the head compartment, but my OCD throws a fit every time I look in there.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
My '12 SX240 didn't have any padding. It only had carpeted lining, line my 230 had. The fore and aft walls are just 1/2" plywood, so be careful drilling through it. But it is easy to add shelves and storage without touching any fiberglass. Lots of threads on this!

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I ONLY screwed into the padding. There is wood behind the padding.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've seen lots of threads with ideas, but nothing really showing how stuff mounts. So, it's just this padding or whatever covering plywood? That's simple enough, I really thought it was covering fiberglass.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes there is wood behind the padding. There was a thread on this and if I recall I used using 3/4" wood screws.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It is the same on the SX240 as the 242LS, the difference being more upholstery in the compartment vs carpet. So you have to screw through whatever the covering, and secure to the wood. I fashioned my own brackets out of the PVC shelf material, and predrilled and screwed them to the shelf and then the bracket to the wall. PVC board can't be glued successfully like the pipe, it has to be mechanically fastened together with screws. I like the PVC although it won't support a great deal of weight. But I have NO moisture issues with it. The board is only 1/2" thick, and I fashioned a 1 and 1/2" piece to attach to the front to provide a lip and to act as a stiffener. I did the same thing in the 240 but didn't take progress pics. I #6 3/4" screws but there was one of the angled brackets that I couldn't get a bite into the wood, so I used 1" screws there. On the 230, I put a strip of LED under the top shelf to illuminate more of the lower shelf and the floor after the upper shelf blocked the light a little. I replaced the incadecent bulb with a flat LED upgrade with the same connection, and I spliced in the connection for the lower shelf light too. Same push button operation, just LED and also controls the secondary lighting.
DSCN1717.JPG DSCN1719.JPG

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
And I countersunk the screw heads.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@jawsf16 i'm not sure what i'm lookin at here. Our boats are close in age i believe (2009)
image.jpg
I think the wall to the left is the passenger seat area? In my boat:where your blue bumpers are its open all the way back to the batteries and sacks. Yours looks solid? I've been trying to add a shelf back there, but up high. Not much to grab into for supports. I'll have to consider lower. I was hoping to hang my preservers in there.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm in a 2010 @justason so different closets. The fenders are sitting on the original shelf and I built out from there. It is extremely solid.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@justason @jawsf16 , Bryan, you have a 240, and Eric, yours is a 210...the head compartments in those boats are vastly different aren't they? The HC in the 240 and previous 230 were boxed in completely fore and aft with a plywood wall. The 230/232/240 had carpeted walls, the 242 covered in padded vinyl I think. I can't say that I know what the 210 compartment looks like, but if you don't have wall to the aft side, how about outfitting it with one to hang a shelf or two on?

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@justason @jawsf16 , Bryan, you have a 240, and Eric, yours is a 210...the head compartments in those boats are vastly different aren't they? The HC in the 240 and previous 230 were boxed in completely fore and aft with a plywood wall. The 230/232/240 had carpeted walls, the 242 covered in padded vinyl I think. I can't say that I know what the 210 compartment looks like, but if you don't have wall to the aft side, how about outfitting it with one to hang a shelf or two on?
10-4! I thought @jawsf16 had a 212x. I'm going to see if I can add a wall like yours, then a few shelves. If not one down low is having some real merit I wasnt considering. Then just a bar up top for hangers/life jackets. Space under the low shelf Is nice too. I've added the shoe holder. Not really liking that much.

As always: thanks for this input all

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My 240 graphic looks like the 2010 212x graphic. That is probably the confusion. I used to have a sx210 but did not add shelving to the closet.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is what I did to mine

Attachments

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, got our head/storage mods done today (and while I was at it, given the heat I really wanted to cut a window in there!!!).

Since one of the Admiral's criteria for us getting a boat was a head for "emergencies" (and a jet, BTW!), we're among the few here with an actual head in there. The problem is that it's for emergencies and the rest of the time we want to store stuff on top - but not actually on top of the head! So, I've devised this shelf. Normally it's over the head. In one of the aforementioned emergencies, the front part folds back at the piano hinge and the support (underneath at the door side, not seen) folds up. Clear the shelf, put the new shelf on the factory ledge at the port side and take care of the "emergency" in cramped comfort.

20150821_190737.jpg

20150821_190550.jpg

Also did the wire shelf, upside down to keep stuff from rolling off. HD/Lowes/local hardware stores around here don't seem to carry anything less than 12" deep. Since we wanted the shelf but without encroaching on the head space too much, I found a 9" deep shelf with a tight mesh at http://www.organizeit.com/9-inch-wire-shelving.asp

And, of course, I did the shoe rack holder - that one alone is brilliant!

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One of the cheapest, and best mods around. . . . .with the exception of the infamous noodles.

I was a bit leary about driving screws in to hang this like the rest of you. So I slid the "over the door" hooks behind the boards. Worked like a charm.

20150730_112140.jpg 20150730_112113.jpg

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I put a set of drawers in mine. Helps hold everything and I keep a bungie in the front to hold them closed.

Attachments

Pbirbeck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Any pics of head storage mods to padded vinyl covered walls in a 2015 242ls?

RoughRider

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have some pics but nothing exciting yet. I bought some stainless steel S hooks on Amazon and use temp on bow wall to hang shoe organizer and across back for life jackets. I can add links if you would lie. Been looking for a shelf that will fit in our 2015 242LS it is only 10.5 inches wide at stern wall.