• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

High altitude prop recommendations

I’ve used this online calculator for many years, mainly for jetting purposes. density altitude calculator When I was flying I used the flight slide rule.

The rule of thumb for horsepower loss in normally aspirated engines is 3% per 1000‘ of elevation gain. However, that assumes standard atmospheric conditions at the higher altitude. For example, at 5000’ the rule of thumb dictates 15% power loss, however if density altitude is added to the mix on a summer day, the horsepower loss can easily be 27%-30%.

When you add the horsepower loss for high altitude AND being over propped, its a double whammy as now the engine cannot spin up to the rated rpm so the power loss is even greater. This is where a centrifugal driven type of supercharged engine can see a lot of benefit as well since the super charger boosted air is directly proportional to the engine speed.

Another thing to consider is engine power / prop-impeller power required curve. In most situations there is always reserve power to drive the impeller so peak rpms can be achieved. In the case of my boat when all those factors are considered I’m down about 38% on power as my engines will only rev up to 6500rpm wIth full fuel and 6 people on a hot day. As mentioned above it is common for a boat owner to re prop their engines so that the engine can run in the peak power range.

Installing properly pitched impellors on your boat is the single biggest performance enhancement you can make.

Anyone have a set of props they want to sell or I can give collateral for till I get my new ones? I’ll pay the price of new set plus shipping or whatever extra cost just to keep me going: unless someone knows of anyone that happens to have some in stock.

Anyone have a set of props they want to sell or I can give collateral for till I get my new ones? I’ll pay the price of new set plus shipping or whatever extra cost just to keep me going: unless someone knows of anyone that happens to have some in stock.

Have you called Impros yet? I ordered my impellers from them, had them pitched for high altitude before they sent them to me…

Personally, I would stick to OEM 6CW (meant for the single engine boats) and have them modified. They may not be the best looking but they have the longest blades and seem to be the best middle ground between low end torque and high rpm smoothness. Some say Solas are better but cruise around the jet ski forums and you will find plenty of Solas and Skat Trak's dropping blades and killing pumps. just my .02
Personally, I would stick to OEM 6CW (meant for the single engine boats) and have them modified. They may not be the best looking but they have the longest blades and seem to be the best middle ground between low end torque and high rpm smoothness. Some say Solas are better but cruise around the jet ski forums and you will find plenty of Solas and Skat Trak's dropping blades and killing pumps. just my .02

Yea I believe that’s what I will wind up doing. Just spoke to a guy a impros and he said he machines them down from 55mm to 50mm I think he said. He was talking about the svho props for a base to build off of I believe but I would imagine the same for the single engine props if not the same

Have you called Impros yet? I ordered my impellers from them, had them pitched for high altitude before they sent them to me…
Yea he was out as of 2 days ago. He’s looking for a good set of used he has in the shop. I am going to have 2 sets on hand. I’m going to have him pitch a set and send to me but it’s going to take some time I think

Got it, thx. Based on what I’ve read here ans elsewhere, I don’t think 1500’ has a huge impact but I don’t know for sure.
I typically use my 2020 AR190 at sea level but have recently taken it to a local lake (Castaic) that’s at 1500 feet and i didn’t notice much if any degraded power.

Yea he was out as of 2 days ago. He’s looking for a good set of used he has in the shop. I am going to have 2 sets on hand. I’m going to have him pitch a set and send to me but it’s going to take some time I think

Out of which? Did you inquire about Skat Traks?

Out of which? Did you inquire about Skat Traks?

Actually out of both. He said the aftermarkets were out and he’s thinking 2 weeks. The OEM’s were on a ship waiting to get into harbor and could be a month possibly.

2016 AR240 here. Boosting in Northern Utah mostly, between 4500-7000' elevations. I had Impros pitch me a pair 6CW (OEM from 190 models). They made a BIG difference.

@Ronnie (and others), I boat at about 1500’. Do you think it’s worthwhile changing my impellers or repitching them? Thx
What is your max RPM? You use high altitude impellers to get your max RPM back up to 7300 -7600 range where the engine has max horsepower. If you are in that Range already it is better to stick with stock.

Yea I believe that’s what I will wind up doing. Just spoke to a guy a impros and he said he machines them down from 55mm to 50mm I think he said. He was talking about the svho props for a base to build off of I believe but I would imagine the same for the single engine props if not the same
I'm not sure what he would be talking about doing but starting with the 190 impeller is the way to go.

What is your max RPM? You use high altitude impellers to get your max RPM back up to 7300 -7600 range where the engine has max horsepower. If you are in that Range already it is better to stick with stock.

I can only get it to about 6500 or so depending on the weight. I don’t want something too aggressive like 4.10 gears on my old mustang. Just some more out of the hole and and I’ll sacrifice a little max speed if I have to. Is rather have a little more torque for towing if possible.

Swapping to the pitched 6CW (AR190 & SX190 OEM impellers) you are dealing with the same pump diameter, so that part is easy. The 6CW impellers have the most overlap available for 150mm pump which seems to improved traction and decrease cavitation. I went from 6800 max RPM to 7500 RPM, better hole-shot, less cavitation and speed loss when cornering, better performance when ballasted, and gained 3mph. You will only gain with this swap. Everyone running at altitude with a 24ft should make this swap.

I can only get it to about 6500 or so depending on the weight. I don’t want something too aggressive like 4.10 gears on my old mustang. Just some more out of the hole and and I’ll sacrifice a little max speed if I have to. Is rather have a little more torque for towing if possible.
6500 seems very low for 1500 ft, is it a CA emissions engine? I usually boat at 900 -1000 ft and 7400 rpm even on 90 degree days. Given that there is no problem causing the low rpm, I would repitch the impeller to get above 7200 rpm. This might cause a small degradation in initial traction it will be worth it in overall performance.

6500 seems very low for 1500 ft, is it a CA emissions engine? I usually boat at 900 -1000 ft and 7400 rpm even on 90 degree days. Given that there is no problem causing the low rpm, I would repitch the impeller to get above 7200 rpm. This might cause a small degradation in initial traction it will be worth it in overall performance.

I’m at 6200’ altitude so I think that’s about what other folks were getting with the stock props. I would want to get to about 7500 if I could but low end torque is more important to me than the loss of a few miles per hour. How much did you wind up spending on your props?

Swapping to the pitched 6CW (AR190 & SX190 OEM impellers) you are dealing with the same pump diameter, so that part is easy. The 6CW impellers have the most overlap available for 150mm pump which seems to improved traction and decrease cavitation. I went from 6800 max RPM to 7500 RPM, better hole-shot, less cavitation and speed loss when cornering, better performance when ballasted, and gained 3mph. You will only gain with this swap. Everyone running at altitude with a 24ft should make this swap.

Yea man that sounds like an all around great set. Who pitched them for you? And how much did they set you back if you don’t mind me asking?

I'm up at Tahoe every summer and have the OEM impellers. The engines will top out at 6200rpm and 35ish as a top speed. The engines do feel more sluggish and I've always attributed that to an 18+% power drop due to altitude (about 3% per 1000 feet gain). Pitching the impellers could make a difference, but the primary reason is the altitude change.

Another thing I've noticed over the years (and this is just an opinion) when wakeboarding in Tahoe vs, the delta or a reservoir is the waters a more buttery feel. I've attributed this to fewer sediments in the water...

I'm up at Tahoe every summer and have the OEM impellers. The engines will top out at 6200rpm and 35ish as a top speed. The engines do feel more sluggish and I've always attributed that to an 18+% power drop due to altitude (about 3% per 1000 feet gain). Pitching the impellers could make a difference, but the primary reason is the altitude change.

Another thing I've noticed over the years (and this is just an opinion) when wakeboarding in Tahoe vs, the delta or a reservoir is the waters a more buttery feel. I've attributed this to fewer sediments in the water...

Yea man that sounds like an all around great set. Who pitched them for you? And how much did they set you back if you don’t mind me asking?
Here's a copy of my actual invoice.
20210625_155155.jpg

Back