• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

House Battery Issue

Dshriber

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have three batteries and a trickle charger. my accessories are just the radio, Simrad go9 and the minn kota with i pilot. I plug in the trickle charger after every use. The boat has 55 hours. The house battery stops working after trolling for two hours. At that point i switch the parallel switch to green. The trolling motor still works but house alarm continues to sound multiple times. any suggestions? Do you think i need anew battery, operating issue or wiring issue?

thank you!

wahoowah

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The trolling motor should never be hooked to the house or starter batteries, it should have its own batteries. Technically, you could hook it to house batteries that were isolated from the starter battery, but that doesn't seem to be the case from your post. Also, which specific minn kota do you have? (Voltage/lbs?) That could be part of your issue as well if it's mismatched to your boat.

Last edited:

Dshriber

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
i do think it has its own battery. the boat does have three batteries. would it be the live well running on manual? any suggestions why the house battery is draining? I clicked on the trolling motor and it showed full strength. maybe a wiring issue?

wahoowah

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
i do think it has its own battery. the boat does have three batteries. would it be the live well running on manual? any suggestions why the house battery is draining? I clicked on the trolling motor and it showed full strength. maybe a wiring issue?
Guess I would need a little more info on your setup to say then

Dshriber

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
i will reach out to the dealer and ask as well. will give you an update on wht i find.

thank you!

Dumbassbass

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Port Clinton, Ohio - Western Basin Lake Erie
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
What size trolling motor are you running on that one battery? Most Minn-Kota trolling motors in the 80-112 lb thrust range require either 24 volt (normally 2-12 volt batteries in series) or 36 volt (normally 3-12 volt batteries in series) and should be of the proper size (amp hour) to carry that trolling motor load (or draw requirements) they should also be either deep-cycle, AGM, or Lithium Iron LiFePo4. Sounds like your installation may not be correct or may actually be utilizing a starting type or standard flooded battery somewhere in that mix.

The above being said, I have a 210FSH and a Terrova 112 thrust 36 volt. I use 3 LiFePo4 54 amp hour batteries with their own chargers, all are mounted in the front of the head/changing room area dedicated use for the trolling motor only and have consistently been able to go out running in good chop using "spot lock" and some moving for 8-10 hours before needing a charge.

BTW - The 3 LiFePO4 batteries together only weigh about 50 lbs. and they are a bit spendy but claim 5X more lifespan both run time and years of battery life than that of deep-cycle.

Last edited:

Dshriber

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
i will investigate the battery size. It is a mon kota terrove i pilot

thank you!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Dumbassbass Which LiFePo4 batteries do you have? Which brand and model? I was looking at the Dakota. The weight on them is awesome, didn't want to put 3 50lbs batteries in the boat.

Dumbassbass

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors
Look them up as a 36volt Trolling motor battery, Mine are 3=54ah. I think $1299 then keep reading as they usually talk about a pre-order 5 or 10% off went with the Dakota's. They are absolutely awesome. I can tell you though, be prepaired to wait for them. I received mine 8 wks after I ordered them.

Last edited:

Dshriber

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
feedback from dealer tech - "So the tech states that if you use the trolling motor at a higher rate regularly then it will drain more quickly. If you are using many functions such as stereos, lights etc then that also drains house battery. The house battery is shared with the trolling battery. If you are using stereo and trolling at the same time both of these will drain the same battery. An option is to add an additional battery to ensure the house battery is only used for house."

feedback from sales rep - "My rep said on his Yamaha boat, he turns all the batteries to the on position... all the time"

sound like good advice?

I like the lithium idea! do i replace all three batteries or just the trolling motor?

Dumbassbass

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
feedback from dealer tech - "So the tech states that if you use the trolling motor at a higher rate regularly then it will drain more quickly. If you are using many functions such as stereos, lights etc then that also drains house battery. The house battery is shared with the trolling battery. If you are using stereo and trolling at the same time both of these will drain the same battery. An option is to add an additional battery to ensure the house battery is only used for house."

feedback from sales rep - "My rep said on his Yamaha boat, he turns all the batteries to the on position... all the time"

sound like good advice?

I like the lithium idea! do i replace all three batteries or just the trolling motor?

Your dealer sounds mis-informed. If it were me I'd add the dedicated trolling motor batteries. If they are wired correctly you could leave the extra on as a parallel house battery but keep in mind that's also about 60 or so lbs

Dumbassbass

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Sorry I've edited this a lil.

Your dealer sounds mis-informed. If it were me I'd add the dedicated trolling motor batteries. If your current set up is wired correctly you could leave the extra battery as a parallel house battery but keep in mind that's also about 60 or so lbs. I never mix trolling motor batteries with house or starting.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sorry I've edited this a lil.

Your dealer sounds mis-informed. If it were me I'd add the dedicated trolling motor batteries. If your current set up is wired correctly you could leave the extra battery as a parallel house battery but keep in mind that's also about 60 or so lbs. I never mix trolling motor batteries with house or starting.
I would agree 100% That dealer should not be "dealing" with trolling motors. A 21' boat should probably be running with a 24v motor as it will run much more efficiently. And if you were running a 12v motor, you bet the combination of trolling and house use would drain batteries.

That all being said, you mentioned you have a "trickle" charger on this system. I hope that is just misspoken terminology, and you have an actual dual or three bank charger on this system. As a trickle charger is a maintainer and would never get those deep cycle batteries back in shape for the next day. But if you have a true charger, and deep cycle batteries of group 27 or larger, you should get fair performance. Strong suggestion would be at minimum, put one 12v on the starter circuit and 2-12v in parallel for longer life on the house circuit with trolling motor if you don't plan on getting separate batteries for them.

Good luck!

Dumbassbass

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The only part of your dealers answer sounds like higher use=quicker depletion. Make sure you take a good look at what they've done because it sounds like they've jurry-rigged series and parallel connections with your batteries.

Dumbassbass

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The only part of your dealers answer sounds like higher use=quicker depletion. Make sure you take a good look at what they've done because it sounds like they've jurry-rigged series and parallel connections with your batteries.
Please make sure you look at the Terrova documentation as they do have several models of 80lb and 112lb thrust and you may need a 24volt or 36volt system so either 2 or 3 12volt batteries in parallel

Last edited:

brian86992

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Don't take the dealer's advice. Sounds like a great way to be stranded without power to start the motors and get home. Yes, your stereo will help drain the batteries as well but not nearly at the rate of the motor. 6+ hours depending on which stereo you have.

Sounds like you need at least one more battery. Isolate the tolling motor so when you drain them down the house is still sitting near 12v which your other accessories will appreciate.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

sound like good advice?

What did you end up finding out?

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Please make sure you look at the Terrova documentation as they do have several models of 80lb and 112lb thrust and you may need a 24volt or 36volt system so either 2 or 3 12volt batteries in parallel
In series.. series increases voltage.